[HoL] Xenon Incursion Awkwardness

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Harryg

Post by Harryg » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 09:51

j.harshaw wrote:Hi Mike,

ok, first of all, no, the mission is a one-off and was designed to be done only once.

Yes, I did deliberately design it so that you could finish the mission even if you had declined the mission offer, ignored the mission guidance, or, indeed, never noticed the mission at all.

I would like to explain why that is.

What I was trying to do was convey the story that this situation was going to happen regardless of anything Ren Otani does. So the mission offer does not spawn the mission happening, rather it reacts to the mission already happening. The Xenon are going to invade regardless of whether or not you want them to. They will keep wrecking havoc until they are stopped.

Which, of course, presents a problem. What if the player does not want to do the mission at the time it is offered? What if the player doesn't even notice in the hundred-and-one other things the player might find more interesting at that very moment? What if the player hears Yisha, sees the guidance saying you have to get out of there, and says "Nope." ?

Should they keep on invading until the player decides to accept the mission and kill them off in that context? Should they not invade because the player decides he or she doesn't want to deal with them at that very moment?

I decided that the best course of action would be to allow you to act as you will, but in such a way that the situation is going to happen anyway. On the other side of that, however, I thought it best that if you deal with the invasion later, whether it be by conscious decision or happenstance, that you still stopped the invasion. You're still the hero. You should still be rewarded.

And from a coding point of view, the mission cleans up and everything's going back to relative nice-and-tidiness again.

I do realize that in your particular situation, the drama of it all fell somewhat flat. I apologize for that. However, I still don't see a better way of treating it.

ps. It is possible to do the mission again via save-editing, but the way this mission in particular is structured, it isn't easy and could seriously mess more things up than just the mission.
Have i messed this up? - I got the Incursion mission a while back and it said "impossible", i didn't have any capitals. However i did have a mod that let me capture I & K class Zenon ships. I captured the I (nice ship that it is) and over the coming hours built up a fleet of K's with some Arwins and other destroyers, about 15 in all, ive gone round Toride and flattened everything but i still cant get to mission to complete. Is there something specific i need to do or have i broken it in some way. if i have broken it, if i abandon the mission can i get it back? Thanks.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 10:03

Uh oh. Capturing the Xenon I is not possible in vanilla, so that possibility is not supported. In such a case, the mission might be impossible to fulfill. You could try destroying the I that you just captured, that will probably accomplish the mission. In such a case, you might encounter another invasion force, but the mission will not trigger again.

Harryg

Post by Harryg » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 11:29

j.harshaw wrote:Uh oh. Capturing the Xenon I is not possible in vanilla, so that possibility is not supported. In such a case, the mission might be impossible to fulfill. You could try destroying the I that you just captured, that will probably accomplish the mission. In such a case, you might encounter another invasion force, but the mission will not trigger again.
Thanks for coming back to me. How do i destroy my own ship ? (send it somewhere and hope it get overwhelmed? or...)

Also i did see another enemy 'Zenon I' in my travels and that did get destroyed but mission still in my log. What event flag is the mission looking for? is it the destruction of an I ?

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 12:10

It marks that particular ship. If it gets destroyed somehow before you get around to it, that IS taken into account, but as boarding that ship isn't possible vanilla, that possibility is NOT taken into account. You should be able to just shoot it until it's destroyed, even if it belongs to you. (As painful as I know that is.)

I would like to emphasize however, this is very much a workaround to get around a mod-enabled scenario, so any bugs that might result from it will not be supported.

Safest solution would be to load from before you boarded that ship and destroy the invasion force. I do realize that that could be even more painful if you've progressed a long while since then though.

Harryg

Post by Harryg » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 12:42

j.harshaw wrote:It marks that particular ship. If it gets destroyed somehow before you get around to it, that IS taken into account, but as boarding that ship isn't possible vanilla, that possibility is NOT taken into account. You should be able to just shoot it until it's destroyed, even if it belongs to you. (As painful as I know that is.)

I would like to emphasize however, this is very much a workaround to get around a mod-enabled scenario, so any bugs that might result from it will not be supported.

Safest solution would be to load from before you boarded that ship and destroy the invasion force. I do realize that that could be even more painful if you've progressed a long while since then though.
Understood, Thanks I'll give it a go... If not its not a problem i might just go for a new start anyway, also i don't have a pre invasion save however i'm ok with that. Taking over Zeno's has been fun but a bit OP, so i might take that mod off too.

- Quick question though if and when i get that quest again when i'm not ready (not enough capitals) what should I do? will the 'I' just sit there wating for me?

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 12:59

Harryg wrote:will the 'I' just sit there wating for me?
The fleet will go on a rampage! But that mission was designed with someone who might take weeks before you finish it, so take your time.

GolanTrevize
x4

Post by GolanTrevize » Sun, 3. Apr 16, 08:40

j.harshaw wrote:Uh oh. Capturing the Xenon I is not possible in vanilla, so that possibility is not supported. In such a case, the mission might be impossible to fulfill. You could try destroying the I that you just captured, that will probably accomplish the mission. In such a case, you might encounter another invasion force, but the mission will not trigger again.
How ever:
Spoiler
Show
Something what seems to me nobody else noticed, there is one more reward, a Xenon S mining ship. It's description what is more important here, being pretty peculiar which got me thinking (plus the fact that I'm seeing many Xenon ships "bailing" and I have no mods for shuch thing, nothing at all to modify Xenon), and it turns out that you can cap Xenon Ks. No docking spot tho, but my Marine officer didn't go onboard so I hadn't lost her and capping went as it would on any other ships. Going trough files I found "part_animation_bridge" connection for the K and some argon style textrure connection for the I. Some unfinished future feature perhaps?

McSui
x4

Post by McSui » Wed, 6. Apr 16, 10:15

i want to trigger the incursion mission but there is maybe a problem:

i did many of those scan anomaly missions and got a ship in distress on my hud from time to time but i dont know how to accept this distress mission and i cant see any ships on the radar around me every time

i know at the end it comes down to finding the i but after hours of of cruising trough toride im at a point i wonder if there is a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 6. Apr 16, 13:18

To accept missions presented by PiP, click on the comms picture or type F
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”