help with y axis please in x3 reunion.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tawhitt

help with y axis please in x3 reunion.

Post by tawhitt » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 01:18

Hey guys,please forgive me if this is in the wrong place for this post or it has already been answered,i would like to find some of the Easter eggs available in x3 reunion,but i cant get the y axis to work on my sector map,i can get the x axis with the 4 and 6 num. pad keys and the z axis with the 2 and 8 num pad keys but i don't know how to get the y axis,i don't really know what the y axis is i guess a diagonal or something,buy i dont need to know what the y axis is just which keys do i use to access it on my sector map,ty guys for helping me out i really want all that free stuff.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 16:21

you can switch the Z and Y Axis with iirc [Num lock] (or some other key of the numpad or nearby)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 23:28

Insert is your friend.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 02:00

Graaf wrote:Insert is your friend.
ah, yep.. that one was it.. well, didnt touch X3 in ages...

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 07:28

Well, you weren't far off either :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 17:07

Small differences can lead to big changes. :roll:

I have always admired how the X-Universe has left-handed frame of reference, unlike many other systems.

@tawhitt:
When you can easily afford, do get an Advanced Satellite. (Now I have completely forgotten whether one can pick them back to cargo hold for reuse.) Once you do have the satellite deployed and the sector map open, press 'k'.

That is "video feed feature". Objects of the sector are shown as silhouettes, even beyond the scanner range. That can make seeing undetected things a bit easier.

Once you start building stations you might think that the sector map is obscuring your view and hinder exact placement of the new station. Do not be alarmed. Use the video feed instead.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

tawhitt

Post by tawhitt » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 23:15

I tried to change the keys to 3 and 5 or 5 and 7 or 9 or ant thing but the same keys used for the z axis it says to push the ins key then use the 2 and 8 num pad keys but that don't work for me and when i tried to change the ins key to something else it just added that key in front of the ins key,i cant really find easter eggs without getting alot closer than i get with just the x and z axis.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 23:24

Normal sector view with X/Y is using the 4/6 & 2/8 keys for NESW. When using [Insert] for the the Y-axis you use 2/8 for "up and down" & 4/6 for EW.

1/3/7/9 are used for rotating a station when placing it. 5 to return to default placement orientation.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 5. Oct 16, 02:50

tawhitt wrote:I tried to change the keys to 3 and 5 or 5 and 7 or 9 or [...]
Standard Euclidean geometry says x & z are equivalent to NSEW on one planar axis; to go from 2D to 3D, (ie look up/down) the y axis is the vertical. Try this for a very simplistic look:

Code: Select all

y |   / z
           |  /
           | /
           |/			 
------------------------- x
          /|
         / |
        /  |
       /   | 

The 'Insert' key referred to by others is the one in a separate block on a standard 103/105 UK/US keyboard, /not/ the one on your numpad; by default the numpad version doesn't work despite numlock settings!

If you've swapped around keybindings so much that you can't find what you did, I recommend you reset to default (I /think/ this is available in X3:R.. can't remember now!) If not, IIRC it's a simple tiny .ini file containing nothing but pure ASCII (so safe from viruses etc), which someone will undoubtedly upload at some point
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 5. Oct 16, 16:37

what game are you playing ? <See thread title - it is X3R.>

if its AP, you could just use the Move to Coordinates command, and just type in them directly

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 5. Oct 16, 16:38

@jlehtone: Yes, you can pickup AdvSats in X3R - nice trick btw :)

@tawhitt: If you use the "insert"-key above the cursor-keys on your KB, it should work.
If in doubt, jump into a new sector and fly manually high above the jumpgate. Now open the map with . and check your position. The green symbol of your ship is displayed (more or less) exactly 'on' the JG.
Now press insert and check your map: you will see the green symbol for your ship 'north' of the JG (meaning above as the perspective has changed from 'top-view' to 'side-view from south'. The numbers in the right lower corner of the map show the position on the three axis.

[on a side note: in German (=Germany, Austria, Switzerland) we normally use x as x, y as z and z as y (in comparison to the X-axis or the 'British system').
German:
x = W - E
y = S - N
z = top - down

English:
x = W - E
Y = top - down
z = S - N

I once had an epic discussion about how to find hidden things in X3R or where to place a new fab for a perfect match into a complex, here in the Egosoft-Forums. I was completely desperate why other players said the same as I did, but used the "wrong" axis - before I learnt that X-games use the "british system" ...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 5. Oct 16, 17:58

zazie wrote:[on a side note: in German (=Germany, Austria, Switzerland) we normally use x as x, y as z and z as y (in comparison to the X-axis or the 'British system').
German:
x = W - E
y = S - N
z = top - down

English:
x = W - E
Y = top - down
z = S - N

I once had an epic discussion about how to find hidden things in X3R or where to place a new fab for a perfect match into a complex, here in the Egosoft-Forums. I was completely desperate why other players said the same as I did, but used the "wrong" axis - before I learnt that X-games use the "british system" ...
reason behind this is a diffrent one i think:

think how Ships are spawned via Script flat on the ecliptic looking north. if you now go inside them and draw a standard coordinate system on your monitor (use water-removeable pens only, no permanent markers ;) :D ) it fits the Axis in the Game - X is left/right, Y is Up/Down and Z is for depth in this case ;)
Axis are just swapped on default view because most stuff is on the XZ Plane, Y coordinate is mostly irrelevant

tawhitt

Post by tawhitt » Wed, 5. Oct 16, 19:26

ty bro i got it now.

tawhitt

Post by tawhitt » Fri, 7. Oct 16, 05:43

Snafu_x3,bro i thought that x and z axis was up and down left and right and y axis was sort of diagonal,but maybe im wrong,if u don't use the ins key on the numpad then which key do u use i only have 1 other key with insert and it says delete on the top of the key and insert underneath delete,if that is the key u mean i tried it as well and no joy.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 7. Oct 16, 16:14

ANSI layout: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... or.svg.png

The numpad is the dark grey "100%" block of 17 keys on the very right.

The light grey "80%" contains function keys, cursors, and most importantly the Ins, Del, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

tawhitt

Post by tawhitt » Fri, 7. Oct 16, 16:57

jlehtone,ty bro i got it.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sun, 16. Oct 16, 05:45

In X3TC and X3AP the same keys work and the map is functionally near-identical, but it's easier to see what's happening as the view rotates accordingly when you switch between top and side views, thus showing you what's happening. In X3R, the view switches instantaneously, thus providing no real feedback as to what's occurring - disorienting, and most likely the cause of your initial confusion.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

tawhitt

Post by tawhitt » Sun, 16. Oct 16, 09:45

RAVEN.myst, ty bro i are exactly right.

tawhitt

Post by tawhitt » Sun, 16. Oct 16, 09:47

RAVEN,myst, i meant u are right i pushed the wrong key lol.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sun, 16. Oct 16, 14:13

All good - sounds like you got it all figured out before I arrived on the thread anyhow :) As long as your personnel file doesn't contain too many instances of the phrase "inappropriately pushed button", you should be fine ;)

Happy hunting

PS: Btw, if you make a typo like that , you can click 'Edit' to re-open it and fix it. In fact, that's exactly what I've just done in order to add this very bit.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”