[WIP] X Rebirth: The New Frontier

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 16:51

Ezarkal wrote:That's a very nice and ambitious project.

I'll give it some thought, then probably throw a few ideas, but you two already have a very impressive and pretty complete to-do list.

Keep us posted. You can bet I'll test that for you guys.
Well, it isn't as ambitious as it seems because a lot of stuff can be used from CWIR. There are new things which need to be implemented but it shouldn't be as difficult as people think.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 16:59

That's even better! :D

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Tue, 21. Feb 17, 06:44

Any info about the release? (what month or what year?)

kyrah
x4

Post by kyrah » Tue, 21. Feb 17, 11:11

Looking forward to a beta for testing. :)

Name could be X4 :lol:

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 21. Feb 17, 17:12

Warnoise wrote:Any info about the release? (what month or what year?)
Hah, funny :)

I wouldn't expect the mod to be ready to be played for a while longer. I would say perhaps sometime in the middle of the summer. There are many things we need to work out/test and such. We will of course post here once we have something that can be tested but early versions will be very limited.

lordmuck
x4

Cool

Post by lordmuck » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 10:14

Sounds very interesting, I have not read through other members posts so I dont know if its been asked.

Could you kinda explain the algorithm used for how they would choose what station to build and where, as in rules? scripted steps? I ask just to get an idea as to what stations they would focus on if being more militaristic and dominant through fight and what would trigger this? could it be like a random roll at the start of the game or would it evolve due to what others are doing ? and obviously this would effect market and stuff. Its a very interesting idea and I can imagine a skirmish over mining haha

Would any faction/gov allied with others?

If I understood correctly sectors and zones (galaxy map) will remain in the same layout and linked the same ?

Other gadgets and ideas (that I miss) spy satellites just to keep an eye on chosen locations, preferably having the satellites in mk1,mk2 .. increasing in range, hull, or stealth(undetectable) I'm still a newb with X rebirth and I probably dont know half of what a player can actually do in vanilla lol

The weapon modification upgrades.. Can player owned ships use them? (Lol I dont even know if that can be done in vanilla )

Can the AI create Jump beacons? it may add to the whole build and fight part for AI each facton/gov would have there own one, and only 1 per zone or sector(the furthest zoom point wher one can see the stations in the map). They would be destroyable by other enemies so that they could place there own, allied factions/gov can use jump beacons of allies.

Give the player the ability to enter coordinates manually for ships to go to x,y,z or mouse click, however I think we only have a top down view of the map unless that could also be modded?. It would allow some more manual tactics even just to park a few L/XL ships at points near a jump gate or station etc... I could help for defense and offence jump to coordinate and to surround a station as an example.

Lastly coz iv probably gone way off topic.. and sorry if I have. However a difficulty setting as to speed of each factions progress that the player can change in game or just 1 slide bar for overall speed as to xenon for example, yet we must be considerate so that they are not wiped out within a few hours of play. I guess Im saying allow players to customise certain parts of the mod while in game. I think this to me is an important feature for most games esp very large mods like this and CWIR.

I assume this would be for 4.10 only ?

Marvin Martian
x4

Re: Cool

Post by Marvin Martian » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 10:55

lordmuck wrote:Could you kinda explain the algorithm used for how they would choose what station to build and where, as in rules? scripted steps? I ask just to get an idea as to what stations they would focus on if being more militaristic and dominant through fight and what would trigger this? could it be like a random roll at the start of the game or would it evolve due to what others are doing ? and obviously this would effect market and stuff. Its a very interesting idea and I can imagine a skirmish over mining haha
for the moment it isn't any deeper strategy, only build one of each preselected and afterwards continue with another selection - if you lost one, build another

maybe later we will also decide based on actual marketsituation to build or not a type of station
lordmuck wrote:Would any faction/gov allied with others?
based on relations yes, interaction should make relationchanges
how far this will have effect on behavior we will see
lordmuck wrote:Other gadgets and ideas (that I miss) spy satellites just to keep an eye on chosen locations, preferably having the satellites in mk1,mk2 .. increasing in range, hull, or stealth(undetectable) I'm still a newb with X rebirth and I probably dont know half of what a player can actually do in vanilla lol
i have try to create something like a navbeacon with radar in the past, this haven't worked (i assume not expected by engine)
the only solution to have something like a satellite is to place a ship - in CWIR you have the "Probe" for example
as alterntive you can use the Targon-Tracer-Mod and drop this one as satellite
lordmuck wrote:Can the AI create Jump beacons? it may add to the whole build and fight part for AI each facton/gov would have there own one, and only 1 per zone or sector(the furthest zoom point wher one can see the stations in the map). They would be destroyable by other enemies so that they could place there own, allied factions/gov can use jump beacons of allies.
as in fact the AI doesn't take care of ownership of the JB or would really search for the nearest beacon to ship-target i think this won't help to have any mechanic for this
in CWIR ships can jump also to a Probe-Drone
lordmuck wrote:Lastly coz iv probably gone way off topic.. and sorry if I have. However a difficulty setting as to speed of each factions progress that the player can change in game or just 1 slide bar for overall speed as to xenon for example, yet we must be considerate so that they are not wiped out within a few hours of play. I guess Im saying allow players to customise certain parts of the mod while in game. I think this to me is an important feature for most games esp very large mods like this and CWIR.
based on the fact each faction need to build her fleet this will all be natural how fast something will happend without cheating
but we can adjust some parameters something will happend based on difficult setting (not yet worked out, but already possible)
lordmuck wrote:I assume this would be for 4.10 only ?
yes we use some parameters that new in 4.10

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 11:03

Thanks for that Marvin :). Looking forward for the mod and 4.10

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Cool

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 16:36

Marvin Martian wrote:
lordmuck wrote:Can the AI create Jump beacons? it may add to the whole build and fight part for AI each facton/gov would have there own one, and only 1 per zone or sector(the furthest zoom point wher one can see the stations in the map). They would be destroyable by other enemies so that they could place there own, allied factions/gov can use jump beacons of allies.
as in fact the AI doesn't take care of ownership of the JB or would really search for the nearest beacon to ship-target i think this won't help to have any mechanic for this
in CWIR ships can jump also to a Probe-Drone
The Jump Script in my Nav-Scripts package actively searches for the nearest Beacon if a concrete Destination is passed (or a random one if just given a Sector). It also should recognize Jump Beacons inside other Objects properly. Sadly i couldnt test both Options properly so yet because of missing testing scenarios (and since Vanilla doesnt offer more than 1 beacon per Sector it also isnt really needed) - but if the beacons are located correctly the Ships will jump there (got an Option to use other Objects as Jump Beacons which i could test and which works reliably ^^)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

roy35150
x4

Post by roy35150 » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 22:06

Sounds awesome.

Will test gladly :)

SiD_azer
x4

Post by SiD_azer » Thu, 2. Mar 17, 16:05

yeah awesome,

will you remove the highways and superhighways ?

could small ship and drone jump with capital ship if they are close ?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 2. Mar 17, 18:07

IMO superhighways are OK, but normal highways should be eradicated.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 03:43

There are some issues with that, though, because of small ships. Unless small ships can boost and jump, it doesnt make sense. I guess it is a possibility to make all small ships be able to boost/jump.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 06:17

Personally, I think highways are great now. I wonder if the fake traffic in them could be replaced somehow by real traffic, though. It sounds like you might do that! Edit: I don't think this matters much--just guessing.
Last edited by tomchk on Fri, 3. Mar 17, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 06:53

i doubt thats feasible because it would involve increasing the number of small Ships in the Universe by a thousand times or so.. and the impact to the performance is very likely to be noticeable.

Also just because some guys posted some videos of the masstraffic crying "fake, fake, fake" over it (and just this, for five minutes) it doesnt mean it is fake. if observed properly it might turn out to be surprisingly non-random (although observation times are naturally very short in the tubes)
Not entirely related, but the Station Masstraffic is not as random as some people think:
ii doubt anyone besides me has observed the behavior of Masstraffic in detail, but the Ships flying around the Stations are not flying around randomly. each of them has a Destination and they use the shortest Path the MTN to reach it. no one will just randomly fly around.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 18:41

The mass traffic is awesome! I think I read that it is not random. That's really cool. I thought I had read that CWIR made more ships use the highways for more reason than to just use them, but I'm not sure. Are the ships in the highways in vanilla not only using them to use them, rather than actually trading, etc. (I'm not counting the ones that spawn for missions)?

SiD_azer
x4

Post by SiD_azer » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 23:54

Maybe mass traffic should do something ? like small cargo marqued neutral buying stuff to sell to other factions that could be enemies and need ressources ? (piracy, drugs, etc ?)

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 01:38

SiD_azer wrote:Maybe mass traffic should do something ? like small cargo marqued neutral buying stuff to sell to other factions that could be enemies and need ressources ? (piracy, drugs, etc ?)
It does something. In zones masstraffic delivers wares between stations when no ships are available or needed. Also m sized trade ships use highways and basicly become a part of masstraffic. Also there are missions out there that make use of masstraffic. Although using every single masstraffic vessel for a purpose would demand so many ressources, that u wouldn't wanna play the game anymore. :D

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 13:54

I really like the mass traffic because it makes the zones come alive with life in my opinion, but maybe some tweaks can be done. I don't know if this is a good idea yet, but maybe reduce mass traffic considerably so that there is only a little bit of it and since small trade ships will be used by factions and such, these will also help transporting goods.

I don't know if this is actually a good idea, though.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 22:28

Add a few interesting missions and some exploration related content and you could just title it:

X Rebirth: Done Right

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”