Text input broken on AP 3.2 & TC 3.3 with Ubuntu - Fix coming!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

TechSY730
x3ap

Text input broken on AP 3.2 & TC 3.3 with Ubuntu - Fix coming!

Post by TechSY730 » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:08

Typing in text into text boxes seems very broken on 3.2.
It doesn't actually input text when I press a key, I have to hold it down several seconds before it picks up the key press and actually starts typing text.

This affects both ship naming and searching for sectors on the galaxy map.

I am on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS), so this may be a Linux only thing.

EDIT: Oh, and backspace works fine. It is only inserting new characters that is broken.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:16

Text input works fine for me in X3AP 3.2 on Windows 8.1.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

lhartvik
x4

Text input broken

Post by lhartvik » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 12:03

I have the same issue as described in "Text input broken on AP 3.2".
(When I click "reply" in that thread, I'm redirected to the main forum page.) - < EDIT: See this FAQ. Post merged. Alan Phipps>

Edit: Albion prelude is affected, as well as TC. Reunion is not affected by this issue.

Playing X3TC on Steam on Ubuntu (more info at the bottom)

I have been playing for almost 200 hours, without issues.
(not sure if this has got anything to do with a particular update)

Everything has been working fine, until I was afk cleaning all the things with a pencil weighted with a coffee cup holding down CTRL, repairing a susanowa in game (I have been doing this many times lol )

When I came back to the computer and switched to Chrome a bit until I noticed CTRL was down. Moved pencil off ctrl, procrastinated a bit in Chrome, then I went back to X3TC. This issue was now in effect. When renaming ships, nothing is typed until I hold down the key for about a second. Then the repeat kicks in, so I end up typing in several letters...

GGGGGuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnssssssss

A workaround now is to go back with the arrow keys and remove the excess letters using backspace, as arrow keys, delete and backspace are not affected by this issue. A-z and space are affected.

Happened yesterday I think, I was sure it would resolve itself when I restarted the game or rebooted, but didn't.

This is not a big issue for me, but kind of annoying and I wonder if anyone know a way to fix it :-)

TIA

some more system info following
-------------------------------------

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] [10de:11c0] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] [1043:8422]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_375_drm, nvidia_375

lhartvik
x4

Post by lhartvik » Sat, 22. Apr 17, 13:50

Cleared cache and now I can reply to threads ;-)

Did a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, still have the keyboard issue in X3 TC and AP

Kerbal space program has a "beta" option to use "latest stable release".

Please add this option, it would be handy to check whether it is the latest patch that introduced the problem.

balthusdire
x3ap

Post by balthusdire » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 20:41

Have exactly the same problem on Ubuntu 16.04.

I am certain the 3.2 patch introduced this issue because I was playing X3AP on the day the patch hit and was able to type in text boxes fine whilst playing AP3.1 (before the patch hit), and changing my Pilots name etc.

I then exited AP. Steam updated AP to the new patch (which must have "dropped" whilst I was playing) and text input in text boxes now ceased to work.

Only way to type in text boxes is to hold keys and delete the excess characters (as mentioned above).

Key input in the main game (flying etc) is uneffected, it seems to only be in text boxes like ship rename, pilot name etc.,

Also noticed this effects the sector map "set location" cursor. I have that bound to shift + WSAD. Holding down the keys causes initial movement as the cursor builds up speed and then stuttering movement.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 11:48

Hmm, I can't reproduce this.
Are you disabling the steam-runtime (e.g. using STEAM_RUNTIME=0)?

TechSY730
x3ap

Post by TechSY730 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 14:36

No, I am just running it straight from steam.

When I try running it from the command line with "export STEAM_RUNTIME=0" (and setting my LD_LIBRARY_PATH properly), I still reproduce the issue.

Would any information on my hardware be useful (video card, etc)?

lhartvik
x4

Post by lhartvik » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 21:50

Update, ok so I lacked a 32-bit library, specifically libbz2-1.0:i386 to get it working from the command line.

Loading times, frame rate, everything is greatly improved. (Or I'm imagining things. )

Anyway, the problem with input boxes is still there, even (seemingly) without steam.
By the way it's not a problem when I type in a number of items to transfer before transferring goods. Only when renaming ships and pilot.

balthusdire
x3ap

Post by balthusdire » Thu, 27. Apr 17, 15:36

A little more info that may help to solve the problem.

If you change Ubuntu's keyboard settings

All Settings -> Keyboard

And set the Key repeat DELAY and SPEED all the way to the left (Short / slow) then when you type in text boxes you only need to hold down each key for a fraction of a second longer than if you were normally typing and the key press is registered.

This does make the ESC key overly sensitive though when escaping out of menus, like its kicking in twice.

However, if you turn off key repeat altogether, then X3 seems to implement its own default key repeat process - which kicks in anyway regardless of your OS key repeat settings, after the first key repeat cycle.

I wonder if X is reading the OS key stream and also tracking key scancodes and somehow mixing the two together when the user is in "enter text mode", but not in real-time mode (flying)

Flight controls don't seem effected by Key repeat. Only input boxes and the sector map cursor.

lhartvik
x4

Post by lhartvik » Thu, 27. Apr 17, 19:10

This works fine, tweaking them a bit, putting the two levers about 1/16 from the edge has made textboxes work acceptably and it seems I've avoided these "double escapes".

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 28. Apr 17, 14:35

Issue should be fixed with the next update.

lhartvik
x4

Post by lhartvik » Fri, 28. Apr 17, 22:02

Sweet! \o/

By the way: big fan sir, big fan. Love your games.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”