Aquaponics

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 14. May 17, 15:29

I would like to state for the record that tonight, after Mothers' Day dinner (and at least two complete explanations of Phil's plans), I FINALLY understand what on earth he's going on about here. :)

(Phil and Dad had to work pretty hard at getting it through my skull. :D ).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 14. May 17, 15:43

greypanther wrote:Did you use plain earthworms? That is not logical...
Also why does it increase the fish suicide? Surely you have an overflow below the top of the tank, over which on the inside, you can place a simple mesh. Over here you can a cheap sieve in the pound shop, which cut up would provide several barriers to stop the fish leaping for freedom! :)
Red tiger worms- the type you get in worm farms- and is fine so long as you have enough oxygen. The still water system was to much for them.

I have a pretty rubbish overflow system in place. Im hoping it will not fail. I will have to improve it sometime.
Last edited by philip_hughes on Sun, 14. May 17, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 14. May 17, 15:53

Usenko wrote:I would like to state for the record that tonight, after Mothers' Day dinner (and at least two complete explanations of Phil's plans), I FINALLY understand what on earth he's going on about here. :)

(Phil and Dad had to work pretty hard at getting it through my skull. :D ).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

I'm trying to create a total hands off system.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 14. May 17, 16:39

Just want to add something, it's more important to maintain stability in the system rather then trying to adjust constantly. In fish keeping it's more important to fortify a system and let it sort itself over time rather than trying to shoot for an ideal parameter. Once a system crash it'll take a long time recover, any positive affect you see from immediate intervention will most likely temporary.

I recommend getting a solar power airpump unit (the kind people use for traveling and fishing), they're cheap and can help, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunnytech%C2%AE- ... B00HP28UU8

If you use something like that to inject air into the system, you can use Styrofoam to cover the planting pot. I believe it helps the root grown better that way. You don't want too direct sunlight since it will promote algae and might choke the root of oxygen, plus it'll keep the temperature more stable.

Also you should have a settlement tank (for your current flow a 30 gallons should be sufficient) at the entrance of the circuit.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 14. May 17, 22:20

Nice. I may have to resort to something like that, i would prefer it if the mass movement from the plants could generate a similar effect.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 14. May 17, 22:34

philip_hughes wrote:Nice. I may have to resort to something like that, i would prefer it if the mass movement from the plants could generate a similar effect.
It's not the movement but the surface tension that promote air exchange. Most plants actually don't like to have their root disturbed too much, so having a current strong enough to promote sufficient air exchange may be bad to them. Speaking of experience, I once have a set up with a slow too strong and it make the roots all tangles up and it kinda stunt the growth of the plants. Also it might not generate enough oxygen if you start getting green water which you will most certainly do with the high amount of nitrogen waste and direct sunlight.

Do not overestimate the need of nitrogen of plants, they require a very small amount very slowly, almost guarantee slower than what your fishes will produce. That's why in aquarium, it takes a large amount of plants that turn the tank practically into a rain forest to achieve a perfect balance just for a few fishes.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 15. May 17, 02:49

Totally agree. I plan to break the surface tension by using a flush system. Once the water level drops below xcm, a valve opens and water rushes through. I need to get things moving first, so your solar airstone may have to be there, just for the first few weeks.

From the worm experience I know there is a definite O2 limit in the tank.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 15. May 17, 03:48

philip_hughes wrote:Totally agree. I plan to break the surface tension by using a flush system. Once the water level drops below xcm, a valve opens and water rushes through.
In that case you may try something like a Gravity Feed Sieve with floating valve? It'll come with the benefit of removing algae from the water column if you can find a fine enough mesh.

Here is a thread that includes pictures and dimension for a DYI one, you can make your own blueprint and scale its to your application, I think it's possible to modify the design with a check valve for a flush/no pump system.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthrea ... eve-filter

It'll take some work but once you have a blueprint, you can use a good 3D printers to create most of the part, since you're a university professor I think there are a few around most campus. If your department doesn't have it, check with the people who do Trading Skill deparment assuming your university has such program (CAD designers, Welding, Machinist, Manufacturing program ...etc...).

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 15. May 17, 07:16

Not quite a professor, but thank you. Actually, now you have said it, it must be true!

**rushes out to make business cards

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 17. May 17, 12:41

The seedlings have established taproots that can reach the water table. Mass movement has begun!

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 20. May 17, 00:27

So guys. Bearing in mind it is still very early in the process, so lots can still go wrong. ...

I am reasonably confident that you can use capillary action to create a static hydroponic system.

Pros:
-cheap
-few/no inputs

Cons:
-requires a lot of fish keeping skill
-if/when it goes wrong it is catastrophic.

My lettuces are growing. They are still small, but they are losing their embryonic leaves and you can see recognizable lettuce leaves. This means the seed are no longer relying on their reserves and are taking nutrients from their environment. I need to figure out if these plants can exist in a semi-saturated medium. It has trained so the water levels are high.

Everything is going well!

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 30. May 17, 22:57

Lost some fish last night when the outside temperature dipped to zero. I will have to time the injection of laundry water- it can be quite warm. I'll put it in just before i go to bed.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 16:13

Lost another three fish last night. Transferred the rest to an indoor tank. It was obviously to cold for them to survive. My hands hurt as i was putting them into the water to catch the fish. Rather than swimming away, the fish snuggled up to my warm arm. They are now cozy if overcrowded.

Return to “Off Topic English”