New Scam Mails from "Amazon" be care

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

New Scam Mails from "Amazon" be care

Post by korio » Mon, 22. May 17, 11:12

Hi guys,

This weekend i received a ton of mails from "Amazon" telling me some of my supposed orders have been canceled, i looked at them because i almost never buy stuff from amazon and they seem a bit legit.

Someone that uses it usually could fall on this scam mails so be care.

The sender of the mails is "order-update@amazon.com" and seems to be totally legit.

On the mail there is a link embedded to the order id that has the scam url, someone not paying much attention could fail on this so be warned.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 22. May 17, 13:07

I had a few of them as well as with all emails even if you think they are legit or not, never blindly click on the link, copy and paste the link into your browser. Also run the mouse over the link and depending on the email browser you are using, a small popup should appear somewhere showing you the actual destination of the link, I use Thunderbird and it appears for me down the bottom left corner. I think I had 4 of those emails over the weekend and each one of them went to a different address, that was not amazon.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 22. May 17, 13:50

Not had any of them yet, but it might be connected to the recent cyber attacks that we had recently?

But yeah, never click on any links, and always go to the site direct to check.
=

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 22. May 17, 18:39

My mum had one very recently saying her Amazon Prime payment had been successful. It looked very legit.

Can anyone tell me how they manage to hide the email address? Such as this scam one I've had from someone claiming to be from ebay:

How do they do the "via" thing? If I opened the same email on a mobile device such as an iPad, I wouldn't see that 'via' part which gives it away as fake unless I tap on the address, it would just say "eBay". That's what nearly got my mum.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 22. May 17, 19:50

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:Can anyone tell me how they manage to hide the email address? Such as this scam one I've had from someone claiming to be from ebay:

How do they do the "via" thing? If I opened the same email on a mobile device such as an iPad, I wouldn't see that 'via' part which gives it away as fake unless I tap on the address, it would just say "eBay". That's what nearly got my mum.
Short version: SMTP is a terrible protocol.

Longer version:

SMTP is, in the grand competition for "which of the protocols the internet relies on is the worst", a contender for the top spot, and definitely top three. It originates from the good old days of ARPANET, and was codified for the first time in the early 80s in the very early days of the internet as we know it today. Back then, everyone connected to the internet was a good, honest sort of person.

The result of this is that, as far as the protocol is concerned, sending a message from x address to y address is as simple as rocking up to an SMTP relay and saying "I have a message from x to y", which takes it at face value and sends the message on.

Naturally, there's a lot of modifications and extensions to the protocol since then to beef up security, but unfortunately there's also a lot of legacy software around sending email which means it's very difficult to require all the security modifications.

Most major mail services will attempt to warn you or flag an email as suspicious if it doesn't pass all the security checks. The way this happens depends a lot on the service and the client you're using. In the case of your screenshot, your mail service has made some sort of determination that the various bits of source address information provided in the protocol don't entirely stack up properly and is displaying that.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 22. May 17, 20:35

red assassin wrote:
Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:Can anyone tell me how they manage to hide the email address? Such as this scam one I've had from someone claiming to be from ebay:

Short version: SMTP is a terrible protocol.

Longer version:
Or, as Samuel Creshal put it,
"Email is from a time when the Internet consisted of six People and you could lock up the guy who didnt play by the Rules in Toilet"

(i love this quote :D )
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Return to “Off Topic English”