Immigrating to AUS? We will screw you

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Immigrating to AUS? We will screw you

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 22. May 17, 03:05

I have a friend, highly qualified. Finished her phD, several companies are screaming for her abilities. She got a job with my university, settled her life here and applied for a visa- the cost is approx 1k euro.

She had and submitted all the relevant paperwork. One of her papers, the date of her letter of acceptance and her application date was one day off. There was no problem with her applying on that day, everything else above board- REJECTED.

From what we see here, she has to go. Its absolutely ridiculous.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 22. May 17, 11:08

It's awful. A couple at our church - Who had already been LIVING AND WORKING here for years have just had their application rejected and have had to leave.

This is crazy.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 22. May 17, 16:05

Send details. Johno. We are working on a variety of solutions over here. One of our alternatives may be useful to them.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 22. May 17, 18:13

Is this a result of any new policy changes? Political climate? "Nationalism?"

It's really sort of unusual that a PHD would get rejected out of hand... at least, one would think so. Intellectual capital is a pretty important driver of immigration policy, at least until "TEH STOOPID" creeps in with stuff like Nationalism/racism/etc...

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 22. May 17, 18:58

It's most likely automated with a set of rules.

If any detail is incorrect, then the application is invalid.
If an application is invalid, then it is rejected.
Treat all rejected applications the same, regardless of cause.

If it's down to people making decisions, they have a sheet and must stick to it without any deviation - as this will remove inconsistencies and therefore accusations of bias etc.

Is the old saying "The devil is in the detail"?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 22. May 17, 22:06

....except another person in our department made exactly the same error. He was contacted and asked to update his submission. He now has his visa.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 22. May 17, 23:11

I wonder why a certain bias is such a bad thing? People who know the language, have a job and easily assimilate are benefitting to the whole. All they ask is to stay in a legal way to work for their living and pay taxes.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. May 17, 13:39

Beyond me. BAh.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Tue, 23. May 17, 15:44

She should illegally migrate here under asylum, she probably has better chances :lol:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. May 17, 17:39

Just a thought - Are there representatives that one can contact in an attempt to help these worthy souls? Would letters from prominent people, like a University President, help facilitate their acceptance? A petition full of PHDs would, perhaps, not go amiss, here. Certainly, there has to be some sort of review process, some form of appeal or opportunity for reconsideration?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 23. May 17, 18:54

Cpt.Jericho wrote:I wonder why a certain bias is such a bad thing? People who know the language, have a job and easily assimilate are benefitting to the whole. All they ask is to stay in a legal way to work for their living and pay taxes.
For the above reason :D Two people, same mistake, treated differently...

If the reason for rejection was definitely the mistake and nothing else then that's really harsh if another was asked to amend. Is there no appeals process?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. May 17, 22:19

There is an appeals process. They will look at the case, see the two dates differ and confirm the rejection.

It will however take over 6 months. And she will have a bridging visa for that time

Cost is 1000 euro. We can use the appeal to buy some time. Then there are other options we can pursue. This is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 24. May 17, 00:44

philip_hughes wrote:...Cost is 1000 euro. ... This is going to be ridiculously expensive.
I'm not familiar with the US system, really, but I looked it up and got a basic summary of the different fees associated with immigration appeals. It appears they're almost all just $110.

Curious...

Is the appeals process in Australia based on controlling access to appeals by requiring petitioners to have a certain level of available funds that would act to restrict potential appeal candidates to those of more appreciable... economic status? A thousand Euro seems a bit excessive, to me.

Note: The US appeals process, afaik, doesn't include independent consulting legal fees, but I would presume that pro-bono representation might/could/would exist in some form, to ensure equal opportunity for representation.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 24. May 17, 15:21

In the case I mentioned, there were definitely errors made. The agent responsible for their visa basically screwed it up (and cost them a hell of a lot of money in the process).

A friend from Church has often helped people in this situation. He believed he could assist them. The way ahead was clear - they had to throw out the original visa application and start again.

But in monstrously bad luck, just as this case was going to court, the government decided to show what a tough guy it could be, and picked on working immigrants as an easy target. The rules were changed, and under the new rules the couples' visa application was rejected. They have had to return to India, and will be allowed to re-apply in six months time.

I need to emphasise how unfair this is. These two people were wonderful, excellent additions to the country. They had lived and worked here for about seven years. And just like that they've been forced to pack up and go home. It really is our country's loss.

What really gives me the irrits is that this rule change has been a real vote-winner for the government. It seems the population like it when the government plays tough with immigrants. I think this is largely because most voters won't have to look someone in the face when their visa has been rejected through no fault of their own. Most voters will never have to try to explain to someone why years of hard work isn't enough for their new country to value them . . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 24. May 17, 18:43

philip_hughes wrote:. Then there are other options we can pursue.
I thought you were already married ;)
A flower?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 25. May 17, 03:25

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:. Then there are other options we can pursue.
I thought you were already married ;)
I would help out that way if I could. Aussie laws are carefully worded because of people who try to use a marriage to gain a visa/residence. I have a mate who married an Indian lady and the visa red tape is a nightmare.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Thu, 25. May 17, 07:03

Usenko wrote:But in monstrously bad luck, just as this case was going to court, the government decided to show what a tough guy it could be, and picked on working immigrants as an easy target. The rules were changed, and under the new rules the couples' visa application was rejected. They have had to return to India, and will be allowed to re-apply in six months time.
I am looking forward to seeing Dutton get kicked out at the next election. I'll be extremely disappointed if it doesn't happen.

The dog whistle attacks on immigrants from this government (and Dutton in particular) have been disgraceful.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 25. May 17, 21:44

And the unemployed. The number of experts that have come out and said that welfare fraud is not a problem. .. they made the system more confusing and brutal anyway.

I also consider the tax on banks to be cynical- even if i consider the banks conduct awful.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sat, 27. May 17, 10:04

philip_hughes wrote:And the unemployed. The number of experts that have come out and said that welfare fraud is not a problem. .. they made the system more confusing and brutal anyway.

I also consider the tax on banks to be cynical- even if i consider the banks conduct awful.
They've as much as said that they don't want to do anything meaningful about the banks, and how much less than meaningful can you get, than by putting a tiny tax on banks that they can expect to be absorbed by the planned tax cuts, even if they didn't just pass the cost on to customers?

Entirely agreed on the welfare bit. I find it amazing that anyone relying on welfare at the moment can cope. Read about one bloke getting $661 in newstart a fortnight, who is having to spend $660 of it in rent... lucky to have mates chipping in for him, apparently.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 27. May 17, 13:32

They just kick the ugliest puppy. I think that's what the dog whistle is for.

Return to “Off Topic English”