Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" running for president in 2020

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" running for president in 2020

Post by korio » Mon, 22. May 17, 16:25

I have seen today that Dwayne announced that he is going to run for POTUS in the next elections, its was in SNL so i still dont know if it was serious or just a joke, but what do you think about him running for president?

Here is an article about it (i couldn't watch the clip, its blocked on my country) http://io9.gizmodo.com/dwayne-johnson-a ... 1795411130

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. May 17, 16:38

From the comments section on the linked page: "It is so weird that the presidency in America is a popularity contest." Um, how is that weird? It's called democracy and that's exactly how it works!

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Mon, 22. May 17, 16:59

From what I've heard about the guy, he might actually make a very good president.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 22. May 17, 17:08

InFlamesForEver wrote:From what I've heard about the guy, he might actually make a very good president.
Could he possibly make a worse one than he who is currently residing in the White House?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 22. May 17, 17:08

just throwing in a weird thought here: what if Schwarznegger also ran for President? :D i doubt anyone could trump over that :D
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. May 17, 17:10

UniTrader wrote:just throwing in a weird thought here: what if Schwarznegger also ran for President?
He can't. He wasn't born in the US, which is a requirement for the job.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 22. May 17, 17:13

CBJ wrote:
UniTrader wrote:just throwing in a weird thought here: what if Schwarznegger also ran for President?
ah, ok.. didnt check beofore i posted.. - well, in that case substitute him for an Action Film Star who qualifies :D
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 22. May 17, 17:14

UniTrader wrote:
CBJ wrote:
ah, ok.. didnt check beofore i posted.. - well, in that case substitute him for an Action Film Star who qualifies :D
Oo! I know one! Dwayne Johnson - aka The Rock! ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. May 17, 17:19

I don't really see what would be so surprising about an actor going for the job, even if this particular example weren't a joke. Have people really forgotten Ronald Reagan already?

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Mon, 22. May 17, 18:08

The thing is that politics is a lot more complex now than it was back then. Nowadays it isn't enough to be a famous person everyone knows from TV, repeat some racial slurs, promise to create jobs and to fight against the establishments...

...oh well. :roll:
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 22. May 17, 18:10

CBJ wrote:I don't really see what would be so surprising about an actor going for the job, even if this particular example weren't a joke. Have people really forgotten Ronald Reagan already?
He was also a prior city mayor and was governor of California as well as having been a very active Republican figure, having already run once before for his party's nomination, IRRC.

In short - He was already a pretty savvy politician with a lot of political experience under his belt before he became President.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 22. May 17, 19:07

Morkonan wrote:In short - He was already a pretty savvy politician with a lot of political experience under his belt before he became President.
He was also an Actor...

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 22. May 17, 19:20

Chips wrote:
Morkonan wrote:In short - He was already a pretty savvy politician with a lot of political experience under his belt before he became President.
He was also an Actor...
His acting career was very short compared to his political one. That would be like saying I'm a chocolate factory cleaner who teaches computer science.....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 22. May 17, 19:32

".. a chocolate factory cleaner who teaches computer science .." Sounds a bit like an Oompa Loompa. Not at all like you, Mr B!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 22. May 17, 20:45

Alan Phipps wrote:".. a chocolate factory cleaner who teaches computer science .." Sounds a bit like an Oompa Loompa. Not at all like you, Mr B!
No really, for several years I did exactly that, while attending college and running a radio show (pre internet days, and long before I was able to go to University) I was a truly crap DJ, but I had a following, most likely because I was so bad I was good :)

And I did turn orange a few times, on deep clean days. They put yucky stuff in chocolate. When you get enough old chocolate on you and you're hot enough to keep sweating it stains you....

To this day there are types of chocolate the smell of which turns my stomach.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 22. May 17, 21:16

mrbadger wrote:His acting career was very short compared to his political one. That would be like saying I'm a chocolate factory cleaner who teaches computer science.....
I really think people are missing the point that CBJ made and i then reiterated as it appeared people missed it completely... :roll:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 23. May 17, 07:50

I didn't miss it, I just fail to see why people persist in judging others by their list of jobs.

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Tue, 23. May 17, 09:22

CBJ wrote:
Thats why he whent for governor and got elected hahahaha.

And be sure, that if he could have gone for president, im pretty confident he would ended on the white house.

Regarding Dwayne, its one of the "modern" actors i like, and so far all the stuff i have been able to read about him has been good, so i don't think he would do a bad job as POTUS.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 23. May 17, 11:57

I suspect he's smart enough to not try. Trump was arrogant enough to try when he really really shouldn't have, but as we are learning, this is not a guy who listens to advisors he doesn't agree with.

Dwayne Johnson in Govermnent? Sure, why not, do the political establishment good to have someone with his level of grassroots popularity (and the desire to keep it) in their midst. But why president?

It's a huge job. One that Trump is learning he can't do. Dwayne would kill his movie career if he was elected President, but not if he became a governer.

I actually think it's a good thing Trump won, because if he didn't he'd have just hounded anyone else who did constantly. As it is he'll keep his head down after he gets either voted or booted out.

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Tue, 23. May 17, 16:07

Dwayne da Rock is a class B actor. He was a kayfabe sport entertainment
wrestler/ That is were he got his name..
Injuries has prevented him from continuing in that area.
He has no money base.
No gravitas is the political arena.
He is an "OK" script actor.
Once the money dries up so does his bid.

Jesse "the body" Ventura has more governing experience than Johnson
and he isn't running for president.

I would have a better chance as running for POTUS than Johnsona and I wouldn't want the dam job.
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Return to “Off Topic English”