Litcube's Universe

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Blue A10
x4

Post by Blue A10 » Fri, 19. May 17, 08:06

Might have a bug here but I'm not sure. It could be that it's a leftover from a previous bad install/mod that affected the save. I'm sort of working on confirming it.

Bug or no, I've currently got a problem where I can get no more than 3 FPS in Legend's Home, seemingly due to some debris overpopulation. I suspect it has to do with when I had a mining fleet here for quite a while, and somehow it's causing the debris to multiply faster than tribbles, which in turn is tanking the framerate.

I just did a clean reinstall of everything and an export/import, so I'm going take several carriers loaded with miners into a debris-sparse sector and sit in SETA for a bit and see what happens.

Pind
x4

Post by Pind » Fri, 19. May 17, 11:17

Is there a way to set where your damaged reserve fighters return to?

[EDIT] IGNORE BELOW: They do return to headquarters just display "None" in command.

When my fighters get damaged they seem to go back NEAR the headquarters, but they don't dock.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Fri, 19. May 17, 11:40

Don't they just go back to where ever the carrier gets new fighters?
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Blue A10
x4

Post by Blue A10 » Fri, 19. May 17, 21:26

http://imgur.com/a/ijxvG

In an effort to not produce an obnoxiously large(er) post on the forum, I put together an album on Imgur consisting of 15 screenshots displaying what's happening. A few of them have descriptive captions below and they're arranged in a particular order. It's sort of like a presentation.

I did not get any In Sector screenshots of my reproduced example, nor did I test the performance of that sector. I was kind of tired and assumed it would look and perform the same as Legend's Home did, plus I'd have to pull out 250+ ships. That was admittedly lazy of me, so if need be I can recreate this again and test those to be 100% sure. I have a save file from the time I started it and can just let it run for another few hours while I read a book or something.

I've seen this for a while now in my save, and always thought it was just a graphical anomaly and wouldn't really affect anything other than looking slightly odd on the sector map. It wasn't until I visited Legend's Home just recently and got hit with slideshow mode that I started thinking maybe it's a bit more serious than that.

Install Info
X3TC 3.3 and X3AP 3.2
Litcube's Universe 1.7.1 + 1.7.2 Patch
EMS 1.0.2a

GUI Installer 1.2.7
Export/Import 2.2.6
Soundtrack 1.2.1

Small Improvements and Fixes r7 "X3LU_SIaF-7-r7.exe"
That modified Cmd.Freighter you gave me last time

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Fri, 19. May 17, 21:59

To me it seems logical that if through some process (in this case the mining) you get a lot more objects in a sector then when you enter the sector the game will slow down because of exhausting CPU resources (for computing collisions for example). Same reason why it would slow down if you deploy lots of lasertowers, or lots of ships or whatever.
That modified Cmd.Freighter you gave me last time
If this is a modified Cmd.Freighter that was fixing the 32 bit integer overflow computing stock percentages for the freighter homebase, note that the fix has been included in vanilla LU for a while now (I think around 1.6.0) so you shouldn't need that.
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

Blue A10
x4

Post by Blue A10 » Fri, 19. May 17, 22:41

Makes sense to me too, I'm just not sure if the build-up of debris objects is something intended or not, and at the very least, if it's not localized to me alone, it might be a performance concern for long-term mining operations or large mining fleets.

So, this might not exactly be a 'bug,' in some sense, but I think it could very well be a problem that might need to be addressed. It's a bit different from a situation in which I can cause a massive performance drop (like deploying 250 ships at once, or also in my experience, 722 lasertowers) via choice, but then be able to easily remove the cause of the drop (destroying/docking those ships and collecting the lasertowers) and no longer have performance issues.

In this case, once a sector gets to this point, there's not really any sort of fix outside of knowing how to delete those debris via script command of some sort (which is a little over my head at the moment). So, it just continues to build until you have an unplayable sector. The only solution would be to not mobile mine at all, or keep it small and constantly shifting to different sectors. Even then, at some point you'll run out of sectors.
memeics wrote:If this is a modified Cmd.Freighter that was fixing the 32 bit integer overflow computing stock percentages for the freighter homebase, note that the fix has been included in vanilla LU for a while now (I think around 1.6.0) so you shouldn't need that.
No, this is from about 6-7 months ago. I had a problem with freighters in somewhat of an edge case involving more Energy Cells than anyone would ever need, and Litcube graciously provided a modified Cmd.Freighter that fixed the problem. LU was 1.7.2 back then as well and hasn't been updated since, so I've kept the file around.

EDIT: Made a small script to clear all the debris from a sector. It seems obvious but I can now confirm for sure that it was the mass amounts of debris killing performance in Legend's Home. Went from 3 fps to 70-120 depending on where I'm looking. Sort of worried about what the long-term effects of removing all debris in a sector would be in case I start mobile mining again down the road. Not sure how to go about reintroducing them into a sector that originally had them, unless there's a system in place for them to respawn.

jacobsrem
x3ap

Post by jacobsrem » Mon, 22. May 17, 16:04

Hey Guys,

Just wondering.... it seems in my current game OCV aren't conquering any new sectors... looks like they are sitting in their starting sector.

How long does it take before they start making their move?

Xenon-Fan
x4

Post by Xenon-Fan » Mon, 22. May 17, 19:14

the first expansion in my game was during the 2nd ingame day. if thats too slow for you i have seen a mod that lets OCV expand faster (apparently like in an older version)

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Mon, 22. May 17, 19:54

Xenon-Fan wrote:the first expansion in my game was during the 2nd ingame day. if thats too slow for you i have seen a mod that lets OCV expand faster (apparently like in an older version)
Don't use that mod, it doesn't work properly according to Litcube.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Tue, 23. May 17, 02:06

jacobsrem wrote:Hey Guys,

Just wondering.... it seems in my current game OCV aren't conquering any new sectors... looks like they are sitting in their starting sector.

How long does it take before they start making their move?
In all my games the OCV start scouting Tokyo Lambda around the 18 hour mark and attack 2-3 hours later, so if you have gone past that and they're still sitting on their thumbs then something might be wrong. Try an Export/Import and see if that fix the issue.
Xenon-Fan wrote:the first expansion in my game was during the 2nd ingame day. if thats too slow for you i have seen a mod that lets OCV expand faster (apparently like in an older version)
As Sirrobert said, Litcube announced a few weeks (months?) back that the Revelation Plus mod (and Phanon Plus) is broken and shouldn't be used. However, if anyone wants a safe way of making the OCV advance faster, use the X3 Editor 2 and expand the cargo bay of the #deca.fade. I increased max cargo to 88 units in my last game, and it made the OCV advance around one sector per ingame day for the roughly seven days I played that particular game. It's not gonna be a blitzkrieg, but it did speed them up quite noticeably.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

kizito
xr

Post by kizito » Tue, 23. May 17, 03:07

Hey everyone, so I started a new game yesterday, I'm 12 hours in and have 11.5m with 1 UT. UT's are pretty slow from what I'm witnessing. So I'm wondering, with what I have, would it be better to start building stations, or invest in a boarding ship and marines?

I've never tried boarding before, I've read a guide but just can't seem to find good targets.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Tue, 23. May 17, 10:59

I would build stations. Perhaps buy a few 1MJ shield fabs in argon prime or something.

Or just straight up save for a TL

sendrock
x3fl

Post by sendrock » Tue, 23. May 17, 16:53

Hi,

The reward of building stations is based on your trade rank, before 17-18 you'r not going to get large profits.

You sould get at least 10 UT to raise your Trader Rank until this point and then spam building missions with your own TL.

To get the money for the TL, you can buy any ship that is under 80% (the less hp%, the more profitsss when you repair and sell)

Boarding pirates M6 is really simple if you have a team of 9-10 marines with 3-4* overhall. You'll win 10M up to 18M depending on the ship you board when you repair and sell. If you'r playing only with Boron's ship, you'll have to wait an M7 (Kraken) to use boarding pod, other races have M6 compatible with boarding pod.
Boarding is very profitable when you have a team of 25 marines at 4* overhall, you can board Pirate's M2 (200M+ for an exterminator when you repair and sell) or M1 for 140M+.

You should avoid Xenon's ship because they'r harderto board, and by harder I mean SO MUUCHHHH HAAAAARRRDDERRRR to board than pirates, i don't know why, even if they don't have sentry, hull pola or things like that.

Good luck

PS : To board a Pirate M6, if you have your combat rank around 17, pick some "Medium difficulty DEFEND THIS STATION " missions, they'll spawn 1-2 M6 with some fighter.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Tue, 23. May 17, 18:54

sendrock wrote:You should avoid Xenon's ship because they'r harderto board, and by harder I mean SO MUUCHHHH HAAAAARRRDDERRRR to board than pirates, i don't know why, even if they don't have sentry, hull pola or things like that.
The lore reason is that they are essentially living machines, and have built in defenses that can make life very difficult for any boarding parties. The game engine basically treat them as if they have sentry lasers on steroids.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Tue, 23. May 17, 20:08

kizito wrote:I've never tried boarding before, I've read a guide but just can't seem to find good targets.
I don't think boarding in LU is worth pursuing as a way to "accelerate" empire growth. It takes forever (in terms of game time) to train a reasonable set of marines to 5 stars combat plus one other skill (and that's after you already bought the highest skill marines you found) and 20% or so still die in the boarding attempt, after you reload/retried 5+ times because most times they will simply all die (in flight or in combat).

Personally the most efficient way to make money in the beginning has been simply buying damaged ships, repairing them using astronaut suit repair laser and selling them back. If you get lucky and land a great deal (~50% hull integrity) on an expensive ship you can make >10mil for 5m of game time. Do not bother buying damaged ships at >90% hull integrity, it won't be profitable. This works quite well/naturally when you are also exploring the universe and dropping satellites in every sector (I do not trust Explorer Command Software to do that automatically, they get themselves killed way too often).

After a while I start building a UT trader fleet while I continue to hunt for repair ship deals. When you get to 40+ UTs you should probably stop adding more to the fleet. Somewhere around here you will have the reputation and can afford to buy a TL, do so and then start doing the very profitable "build station" missions. Just do any "Build station" mission you can find, especially those of "hard" difficulty, they pay tremendously well.

Whenever I have the money I drop a SCH with small weapon factories (APC, IRE, etc), at least 50 size. That should cost a few hundred million credits and make good money per hour. Whenever I can afford it I'll buy a second one. Then a third one and so on. Then I upgrade existing smaller SCH to larger ones. When you have about 1200 total SCH size of small weapon making factories you can probably stop doing that because you'll be making more money than you can spend. Make sure you are varying your production or the universe will get saturated with the same weapon you've been mass producing and your profits will drop. While you are planning for the next SCH and you need to save up money for it, you can invest the current balance into the stock market (buy at the cheapest price, sell whenever it goes 20% above that or more) so the money doesn't sit idle.
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Tue, 23. May 17, 20:58

memeics wrote:(I do not trust Explorer Command Software to do that automatically, they get themselves killed way too often).
Check out Joubarbe's Quick explore. It lets you tell your ships to avoid hostile sectors.

What I do is I have 1 or 2 Kestrels safe explore the universe, which only maps sectors, not what's in them (that information is useless anyway, without property in the sector).

And since only friendly (safe) sectors are known at this point, the Kestrels that go for satellites aren't at risk of running through hostile sectors as much.

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Tue, 23. May 17, 22:31

I need to scout the universe looking for good deals and missions anyway, I can take that opportunity to safely drop satellites while at it. If I had no reason to go to every universe sector I'd consider it.
[ external image ]

kizito
xr

Post by kizito » Tue, 23. May 17, 23:57

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna start scouting asteroid sectors and build SCH's there. And then eventually make an HQ somewhere, probably close to the OCV chain but haven't decided yet.

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Wed, 24. May 17, 00:22

Note that in the grand scheme of things an HQ is quite cheap and immensely useful (even early game). It costs about 400mil credits which is around the price of one decent money making SCH. As such in my second playthrough of LU (which you can watch on youtube, see my signature) I made sure to buy it before any other station.

As for dropping it close to the OCV... up to you I guess but that sounds scary. My instinct has always been to find an empty remote sector, away from my enemies (Phanon and the OCV). You'll have jump drives on all your MLCC ships anyways so flying distance doesn't really matter in terms of deployment.
[ external image ]

kizito
xr

Post by kizito » Wed, 24. May 17, 01:37

Thanks again for the reply, I think I'll take your advice and get a money SCH first and then get a HQ. Also, I've been watching your vids here and there when I'm not playing, they've been helpful, so keep up the good work!

:D

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”