war effort hang up

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

astreus
xr

war effort hang up

Post by astreus » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 15:17

On first mission on 'aid the war effort' the plot hang up.

I did the whole plot many times on different game starts, so long no problem at all.
This time I use the Unholy Traitor start.

Paranid & Split rep deep in red, I shoot down a few Terrans. On the first kills, I got these remarks from Argon, thanking me about....on so on.
So I know, the plot was working, at least on the first kills.....
I thought just a few more sabre(kills) an the next mission will start.
But my Terran rank dropped too much, so I desided to built the rank up, I never want to go deep red with Terrans, it's much easier to have them blue.

This was never a problem. Right after plot start (prerequisite no higher than citizen), you could have your Terran rank as high as you want, doesn't matter for the plot.

So I postpone the war plot and did something else. I know, it doesn't matter how long it take until you go on with the war plot again, this was never a problem.

But now something strange happens: Once, the mission menu show the war plot active, but no guide activated. No way to active the guide, but I could deactivate the guide. Once deactivated, no way to activate again, mission shows guide deactivated. (I reload to mission activated)
Doing other mission have no effect on this.

I could kill whatever I want, the mission 'aid the war effect' will not find a end. :evil:
I even killed a Osaka, no result (just the Terran ranks drops awfully)

In the meantime my Split rank goes blue ..... no effect on war plot.

Does anybody know a workaround here?
After more than 10 days DID you have to be mad!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 19:30

It's sounding depressingly like a bug... the only thing I can recommend trying (though I suspect you may have done so already), is to lower your Terran reputation quite a bit (the exact level can be found in a FAQ on this site, I think, to do with requirements for starting the various plots), and THEN kill a few M4s/M3s - if your Terran reputation gets too high, it prevents you from starting the main plot, and it may possibly (not sure) also prevent it continuing. Of course, it may also be that pushing it too high may trigger an irreversible bug... (I hope, for your sake, that's not the case.)

Good luck!
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Terran plot broken?

Post by Bill Huntington » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 20:27

I've had it before, Astreus. I checked the process too. You can wait to start the plot as long as you want, true. But once you've started, there's a time limit of some kind. AFAIK, it's not related to Terran or any other rank. One thing gives you a little leeway. The first part of the plot directs you to Treasure Chest. That doesn't work if the highlighted sector has moved to another one. You can advance the plot if jump to the highlighted sector and get your Terran kills there.

If this doesn't work, the plot's broken. I gave it all kind of tries and never found anything. I wouldn't call it a bug but a time limit thing.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 21:08

Interesting... I've on occasions left it a VEEEEEERY long time indeed (I'm talking days, on both sides of the conflict, and even longer on at least one occasion as Argon), and managed to pick it up when I wanted, no problem... I suspect it IS a bug, and that some specific action or condition triggers it, and the longer you wait, the more likely you are to do whatever it is that can break it. Mind you, please note that this is all pure speculation on my part. :D

Not speculative: I'm fairly sure that I once thought I broke this plot (it was relatively recently, as my X3-playing history goes), but lowering my opposing-faction reputation to below the mission-start threshold allowed me to resume. However, I've played so so so many playthroughs, that I can't be 100% sure that this is a real memory and not some subconscious confabulation.

I forgot to mention something in my previous post: As far as the mission pointer thingie goes - this doesn't ALWAYS appear in that phase. In fact, it's quite a common thing in missions where the player is supposed to find his/her own targets - there are several other plot points where the orange pointer doesn't appear (for example, before the player finds the parcel courier ship to follow and then plant spacefuel on, in a late share-recovery mission). In such cases, it is also impossible to "turn it on". Aid the War Effort shows Treasure Chest (as mentioned above) on a couple of occasions, but once you reach that sector it disappears (iIrc) and leaves the player to his/her own devices. I can't say for sure I've tried this specifically, but I *assume* that at this point it works the same as other cases where a plot mission doesn't show guidance - no "turn on" option available.

ASIDE: On a mostly unrelated note:
I have issues with the Aid the War Effort phase of the plot, as follows:
- Firstly, the mission's completion conditions are at odds with the mission briefing info, which claims that doing war zone missions can also be used to complete that phase. This is untrue, and ONLY kills count, and ONLY personal kills. The only way doing war-zone missions helps to complete this phase is if one takes combat missions and in carrying them out, scores some kills.
- Secondly, the fact that only PERSONAL kills count is most lamentable - this makes it impossible to do a "Harmless" finish (which can be done in X3TC, though only with one specific game-start) in the specific, and in the more general sense it prevents any sort of delegated play-style from being employed - so, if you happen to like drones, or to fly a TM and launch a small wing of fighters to do your dirty work, too bad - none of that is going to work, you HAVE to pull the trigger on the kill-shots yourself.

Anyway, that's a digression, nothing to do with the topic at hand, but just felt like throwing it out nonetheless... ^^

Happy hunting!
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 00:39

RAVEN.myst wrote:I forgot to mention something in my previous post: As far as the mission pointer thingie goes - this doesn't ALWAYS appear in that phase. In fact, it's quite a common thing in missions where the player is supposed to find his/her own targets - there are several other plot points where the orange pointer doesn't appear (for example, before the player finds the parcel courier ship to follow and then plant spacefuel on, in a late share-recovery mission). In such cases, it is also impossible to "turn it on".
In general the guidance points to /specific/ targets: if the target isn't specific (eg scan ship missions), or if <target> has left the sector (eg patrol/kill missions) there'll be no guidance arrows

NOTE SIG! & linked Wiki advice for generic missions (eg patrol, kill)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

astreus
xr

Post by astreus » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 10:30

I investigate some more facts.......
I guess I had this or similar long time before.

I also believe the number of kills has a relation to your fighter rank. (but not sure). If I start on beginning, with very low rank, I need just about 4 kills of M4 (in the early state I use a TM with Thunderbold - one hit and that's it. Any more combat will beat the rep harder. Best is to ram - less rep lost - here a Springblossom is best, but not effordable at this state)

Once, at former game start, after postpone it for a while, I had a similar problem. Killed 12-15 M4, M3 - aid war effort kept on hanging. But after I killed a M6 the next mission starts. Terran rank was high this time.

I usually use same plan: After war plot start I never go for the first mission but do something else to improve my assets & firepower.
I usually increase my Terran rank high enough to be able to buy some food factories. They then automatically increase my rep slow but contstantly. Then I go for war effort, rank drops, factories built it up while I do something else. Very nice ;-)

Sometimes I returned to the first 'aid war effort' mission after game-days(!), with high Terran rank. Shot a few M4 (7-8) and mission done, next mission start! No problem at all.

This time it's never ending. Maybe It has something to do with the game start unholy traitor. Never did this through the war plot before.

I also agree, completing missions in war sectors will not help anyway as long (normally) you shoot down some enemies by yourself.

So there are a few more thing I could check:
1.) Doing a mission in war sector with shooting down some Terrans
2.) Shooting down more Terrans M3 + M6......
3.) Shooting down my computer
4.) Any other ideas?
After more than 10 days DID you have to be mad!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 10:34

4) Uploading a savegames so someone else can have a look.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 11:11

astreus wrote: Killed 12-15 M4, M3 - aid war effort kept on hanging. But after I killed a M6 the next mission starts. Terran rank was high this time.
Yes, the requirements tend to escalate over the various "Aid the War Effort" phases (there are more than one - since you've played through before, that's not a spoiler :) ) but I don't know what the criterion is - fight rank seems like a reasonable assumption, yes.

astreus wrote: So there are a few more thing I could check:
3.) Shooting down my computer
LOL! I don't recommend that one - I seriously doubt it would solve your problem! ^^
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas at this point (perhaps more coffee will change that, but I doubt it.) If I come up with anything else, I'll post it. In the meantime, best of luck!
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”