Reversing death

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Reversing death

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 04:36

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... erica.html

First off, yes I know. 'Daily Mail'. Likely a complete fabrication or gigantic exaggeration, but for fun, lets humor it and take the article for truth.

Reversing death.
Could we? Should we?
Would you be the same person? What about memories? Personality? I think body decomposition happens very quickly, what if you 'came back' to your body rotting on the inside?

And the all important question: is this the start of the zombie apocalypse?
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 06:31

Definitely apocalyptic material, right there.

There's no mention of the most important part of their clever plan, though. You see, if someone resurrected me and I then had to die a second time because they hadn't fixed what killed me the first time, I might be pissed off enough to come back and complain about it without them having to use any of their magic wizardry...

I haven't researched these people, but I'd like to add that plenty of quacks and wacko medical crap involving fantastic claims from everything from human cloning to resurrection has come from various companies, all practicing their "trials" in countries in "Latin America."

Bioquack...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 07:58

No harm in injecting some guy who's already dead with stem cells. No ethical problems here- its just that- I don't think it will work.

You cannot simply invoke the stem cell and expect it to magically heal. Leave the faith healing to us religious types :)
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 11:23

I think people with "traumatic brain injury" who are on life support might not yield the happiest end result. But it is possible to regenerate stuff with stem cells. The new parts can be quite crude. People are just biological machines and can be rebuilt but our technology and the things we can do are still pretty basic.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 11:54

I have worked with folks who work in the area of personnel fetal stem cells. This is the storage of the umbilical cord at birth as it is filled with FC's tailored to your DNA. They have already had success in patients and from conversations these cells can (BIG STAR) *theoretically be programmed to regenerate any part of the body (rather than the injected em in and hope version)

Now this is not that science fiction as the body regens cells all the time and we age (simple version) on the fact that the cells are a copy of a copy of a copy etc etc which leads to errors that get replicated over and over until something somewhere breaks down from old age...but I can see us cracking the code of the bodies ability to replicate, especially if we could break down the fetal stem cell code and how it uses the blank templates to start the replication process again but with original 99% accurate copies.

The body is just a transport mechanism, the only thing it is here for is to give the brain mobility and interaction. Could we transplant a brain into a new body. I think we could, I think the concept is not that it cannot be done but more that it is so difficult we simply do not think we can do it now.

All those nerve fiber connections, if (big future sci fi if) you could keep the brain alive maybe in a highly oxygenated fluid with a closed blood flow system, you could conceive of using your own stored stem cells to regrow the nerve cell connections to a new spinal cord (ignoring tissue rejection etc, massive I know but this is sci fi).

Anyway these guys are putting forward proposals that all umbilical cords be stored as a normal procedure for new births, since they are your own fetal stem cells no moral block on use.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 12:43

Slight hyperbole in the title, these people are not "dead" in the way most people would understand that word. The vast majority of their bodies are working just fine, they just have a single malfunctioning organ . . . . albeit a very important and staggeringly complex one. :roll:

As for whether reversing this kind of brain damage is possible, who knows. . . I see no particular reason to decry it as impossible.
One caveat however, suppose you could repair the damaged structures within the brain and restore their functionality, we don't know how much of a "person" is stored within the structures that were lost. Its possible the person you get back might not be the person that was lost.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 13:02

First off, yes I know. 'Daily Mail'. Likely a complete fabrication or gigantic exaggeration, but for fun, lets humor it and take the article for truth.
But then you're giving them hits.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 16:36

I think it is down to the movement of memories ,,, for example if muppets, burger1 or Morkonan ( sorry for picking you, just random selections) were given the total memories of say Usenko or phillips_hughes would he then become a christian (if not already), believe he was one of those two or would he indeed be that person (other than physical appearance)........ or is there something deeper down that could not be brought back to life or cause severe mental conflict.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 19:00

Once life leaves the body, I'm not sure there is anything to revive. Given that no one has been able to create even the simplest form of life in the lab, I expect there is more to it, than wiring and plumbing.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 19:36

not directly related but this discussion makes me think of the Story of Full Metal Alchemist, especially the first Series
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 19:49

I thought this would be about some terrible vehicle accident...

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 8. Jun 17, 09:31

Bishop149 wrote:Slight hyperbole in the title, these people are not "dead" in the way most people would understand that word. The vast majority of their bodies are working just fine, they just have a single malfunctioning organ . . . . albeit a very important and staggeringly complex one. :roll:

As for whether reversing this kind of brain damage is possible, who knows. . . I see no particular reason to decry it as impossible.
One caveat however, suppose you could repair the damaged structures within the brain and restore their functionality, we don't know how much of a "person" is stored within the structures that were lost. Its possible the person you get back might not be the person that was lost.
They're only MOSTLY dead . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Return to “Off Topic English”