Dr Phil

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Dr Phil

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 10:04

Not yet.... But close.

Just got my corrections.

One reviewer picked it apart, still minor corrections.
One reviewer loved it, minor corrections
One reviewer loved it, no corrections.

I have to go to a conference, therefore deal with it later, but this thing will take much less effort to fix than I expected.

I am a little happy.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 12:56

Ooh, doctor! Can you tell me what I have to do about this pain in my lower back? :wink:

(Seriously, congratulations!).

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 13:01

You ain't a proper Doctor till you've made your first Resteraunt table booking using your new title.

Seriously, it's so much fun :) Almost makes up for the agony that is getting the never to be sufficiently damned literature review right.

Almost.....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 14:13

Just be very careful never to say something like 'Hello, I'm Doctor Phil and I'm fascinated by interesting soil samples.' Some people might feel the urge to provide you with what they thought you meant .. :D

Congrats!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jlehtone
x4

Re: Dr Phil

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 14:37

philip_hughes wrote:One reviewer picked it apart, still minor corrections.
The first one sounds diligent. The other two ... insufficient constructive critisism. If you don't point out any issues in the work, then either the work is flawless or you did not read it properly.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 14:51

One of my reviewers in my Viva said half my thesis stood without defence and I got quite annoyed at him, because to be honest that was a load of bull.

I knew it was good enough, but the entire reason I was there was to defend it. I'd come 300 miles to defend it in fact, so that answer did not please me one bit. I think it was rather obvious this was the case.

So they may have loved it, I'm glad they did, but I do hope they had questions for you.

But the thing about the table booking I said first is still awesome....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 15:29

You have NO IDEA how proud I am of my little brother! :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 16:37

jlehtone wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:One reviewer picked it apart, still minor corrections.
The first one sounds diligent. The other two ... insufficient constructive critisism. If you don't point out any issues in the work, then either the work is flawless or you did not read it properly.
The first one is a legend in the field, the next is a leading soil taxonomist.

Even though the first one absolutely shredded it, he started by saying that the work contained several landmark pieces, that soil research would be defined by this document for the next few decades.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 17:07

philip_hughes wrote:

Even though the first one absolutely shredded it, he started by saying that the work contained several landmark pieces, that soil research would be defined by this document for the next few decades.
then it's good that he shredded it, shows he was interested by it enough to bother.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 17:46

mrbadger wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:

then it's good that he shredded it, shows he was interested by it enough to bother.
True, I'm just happy that is good enough for a phd.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 23:17

Doctor Who?
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Thu, 15. Jun 17, 00:08

Cpt.Jericho wrote:Doctor Who?
Not who

There's a Dr. Phil already on TV.. (in the US)

So where your from and if soil is your bag.. then you can be"

Dr. Phil-Down-Under-Dirt.
or
Dr. Pdud

:P
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 15. Jun 17, 04:45

I can either be a nutbag Texan psychiatrist or a dead Australian cricketer. Take your pick.

Try googling "philip hughes".

It corrects your spelling to two l's- as if I don't know how to spell my own name.... and so much for big data knowing everything about you.

Return to “Off Topic English”