Random Game Recommendation

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 10. May 17, 22:21

Morkonan wrote: All in all, it's a pretty fun console experience, even though the controls are a bit clunky on a controller and precision/response-time for certain actions can be sometimes aggravating. (Almost blew myself up last night...) And, for console, open-world, fight/craft/build game, it's hard to beat if one doesn't mind the aesthetic.
The higher-level bosses are really designed for multiplayer, though. I got the best armour and weapons I possibly could at that stage and tried to take the Twins down solo, and failed miserably. Since you can't progress to better gear and bosses without killing the Twins, left me kind of stuck.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. May 17, 22:28

pjknibbs wrote:...
The higher-level bosses are really designed for multiplayer, though. I got the best armour and weapons I possibly could at that stage and tried to take the Twins down solo, and failed miserably. Since you can't progress to better gear and bosses without killing the Twins, left me kind of stuck.
True. I haven't had any issues, so far, but I'm still in pre-hardmode. I've seen others taking down tough bosses solo, so I hope I can manage. If not, it's still pretty fun, solo, as it is. (Good replayability, too, so that's a plus.) With the new patch coming to console, even more items/options might be available for me, there. (I can play on PC if I want, but a big comfy chair is a huge console-draw right now. :) I may try streaming to tv, just because of that.)

Worse comes to worse, it's possible to find decent strangers willing to help one progress one's game for a few minutes of help, so that option is always available too, I suppose. (Unless I can browbeat my friend to letting me "powerlevel" him up so he can add his dps for that one engagement. :) )

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 11. May 17, 01:08

Morkonan wrote: It's certainly a difficult request to fill, to find a non-pvp multiplayer game that a couple of friends can play together that doesn't involve either FPS or competitive online play.

Destiny might be a decent choice or maybe Warframe. I don't think he's got much of an interest in either, though. /scratches head Definitely a hard request to fill, that's for sure, since the multiplayer market is dominated by pvp titles for the most part.
What about Dark Souls, or Bloodborne if your console is PS4? Its on the more challenging end of the spectrum, but if you're familiar with the series it can be great fun to run through those games co-op.

There's also ARK: Survival Evolved which is early access on PS4 and Xbox One. You basically get to play on a dinosaur inhabited island and tame, ride, explore, craft and build. Played it back in 2015 and it had enough content then for 90 hours of play.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 11. May 17, 01:54

Boom Boom goes the MRAP. Game: Squad. Also the panic of the drivers is easy to spot, instead of doing the sensible thing, going in a straight line as fast as possiable, they decide to turn right in the middle of an ambush.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 11. May 17, 02:45

pjknibbs wrote: ...without killing the Twins, left me kind of stuck.
Did you try building a rail track loop and shooting back at it with ranged weapons.
or if melee, did you wire up heart statues to a timer to spit out free health.

Haven't really played Terraria for a bit, been playing a bit of Starbound (Terraria in space).
Still playing/enjoying the heck out of the updates to Factorio and Starsector.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Thu, 11. May 17, 15:28

Starsector

just recently had a massive new update (0.8a) and has some really fun gameplay, if you like 2D space shennanigen RPG sandboxes

I also reccomend factorio which is a fantastic game, you build factories and manage logistics, harvest resources on an alien planet, manage power systems like coal, oil, solar power and the recently added nuclear power technologies.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 11. May 17, 19:08

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:...

What about Dark Souls, or Bloodborne if your console is PS4? ...

There's also ARK: Survival Evolved....
Great recommendations and I've considered them all, as well. Sadly, my friend is all Borg'd up with his Xbox, so no PS4 is possible. (I've got it and like it more than XBox1, tbh.)

Praise the Sun, I've considered Dark Souls, but I'm unsure if it's close enough to a traditional multiplayer experience. Also, the PVP aspect may put him off. I have DS1 on PC, but haven't really played it, though I know the basic gameplay. I'm definitely going to recommend DS as well as ARK. (Good recommendations, especially since they made it into my own top-ten list for recommendations after quite a few hours of sifting through available titles fitting within a very narrow range of choices. :) )

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 11. May 17, 20:33

Magicka or it's sequel.

It's a top-down action game where you control a mage on an "epic quest to save the world". You have access to 8 forms of magics that you combine to make deadly effects for everyone in the map... including you and your friends. Well, technically, mostly to your friends.
A had a bunch of fun in the first one, and I'm waiting for my coop partners to finally have time to play the sequel.

It's fun to play both in singleplayer or coop, packed with humour, action, easter/eggs and references, and confusion-induced friendly fire.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 15. Jun 17, 19:01

Starpoint Gemini Warlords. It's not x3 and I wouldn't buy it for trading/the economy. You get a hq, can build/research ships, a skill/perk/research system, a bit of a fleet system and you can capture/defend territory which is a bit easy.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Wed, 5. Jul 17, 22:53

BallisticNG: http://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/

Free Anti-grav racing much like the original Wipeout series (more like Wip3out than the others IMO).

Here is an old vid of me breaking the top record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLUq1gP9qjw

Here is a more recent one with just race in the top speed class on a small track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTd6-ZTO0rI

Oh yeah its free (no MTs either)! It is highly moddable and free. Did I mention it is free? I mean actually free no MTs or anything like that, can't stress that part enough since 'free' these days means you get 1/4 of the game then have to pay a stupid amount of cash to unlock the rest (P2W).

berth
x4

Post by berth » Wed, 5. Jul 17, 23:41

Air brakes ftw :)

Looks like a direct re-tread of wip3out to me. The sound files for "missile", "quake" etc are identical. I've been playing it emulated just recently.

I'll definitely check this out, cheers :)

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Thu, 6. Jul 17, 01:55

Oh yeah lol, I am using a Wip3out sound pack is why, I still have the disc so I even imported the soundtrack along with some of my other favorites. I always forget I have that stuff enabled. Yeah I load up the emulator as well to play it until I found BallisticNG.

Oh btw if anyone tries this game, dont forget to turn the graphics up. For some reason they are at the absolute minimum when I install it.

Return to “Off Topic English”