Funny things that happen when teaching . . .

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Funny things that happen when teaching . . .

Post by Usenko » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 11:37

One of my best friends on staff at the school where I work was in the staffroom this afternoon. Both of us had that wonderful thing, a free last period on Friday.

I asked him how his previous lesson (Year 7 - first year of high school) had gone. He pulled out this little gem.

"Well, I wanted to do a lesson getting them to research separation methods [on their laptops]. 2 of them had screens that were damaged, another 2 had forgotten to bring chargers. Nick was in a recursive loop because he couldn't understand why his screen wasn't working even though the lights on his keyboard were still on. And Jacob's computer didn't work, and he didn't have a textbook, so he solved the problem by putting his blazer over his head." :)

Later on he received an email from the aforementioned Nick, who said to him "Sir, the assignment says to use the Harvard Method. But I'm too young to do things like that."
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 14:13

How times have changed!

Back when I was in school at about that point in life (not quite as far back as the Dickensian period mind) about the worst that could happen was you breaking your last pen nib and having to use a pencil when researching and copying stuff from books in the school library.

Ah, but this incident shows how far we have progressed!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 14:45

The other day I forgot to bring my computer to work. All my day's lessons were on it.

I shrugged my shoulders and went to work, teaching in the time-honoured manner using a whiteboard and pen[1] (You know, like I used to do for the first 10 years of my teaching career . . ).

My Year 7 classes were gobsmacked. None of them had ever seen a teacher teaching without a computer before! They were watching me as though I was performing some impossible feat . . . :)

[1] Okay, I'll admit it - I'm even old enough to remember teaching with CHALK. But that was an old school with less up-to-date hardware. :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 19:39

Alan Phipps wrote:How times have changed!

Back when I was in school at about that point in life (not quite as far back as the Dickensian period mind) about the worst that could happen was you breaking your last pen nib and having to use a pencil when researching and copying stuff from books in the school library.

Ah, but this incident shows how far we have progressed!
Some of the incidents I had with Quink, often wearing more than getting it to the intended page.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 21:05

Usenko wrote: " I'm even old enough to remember teaching with CHALK."

One of my engineering degree subject professors back then used to write his lesson information and formulae up on a blackboard in chalk with his right hand and seconds later rub it out again with his left hand. It was, he said, his way of ensuring that the students were paying constant attention to him.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 22:15

Hell knows only one terror worse than the screetching of dry chalk on a dry blackboard. It can be useful in case of a very reluctant class. ;)
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 23:47

Alan Phipps wrote:...It was, he said, his way of ensuring that the students were paying constant attention to him.
Physics prof in college. Would write with his right, erase with his left, and then rub his forehead with his hands, often holding up his left hand in a fist right against his forehead while lecturing...

The result was that, by the end of the day, he had a huge chalk smears over his hands and forehead.

Yes, these were visible, physical evidence that the man taught classes that day. They were observable and measurable and held predictive value. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”