Flight assist OFF - strafing and thrusting stops responding

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Flight assist OFF - strafing and thrusting stops responding

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 7. Jul 17, 11:49

When flying flight assist OFF, sometimes the game starts ignoring my thrusting and strafing input. Basically, I can't change my ship's vector (I can yaw and pitch to aim my guns, but the ship keeps flying in the same vector with the same speed regardless of what thruster keys I press).

If I activate flight assist and disable it again, or use the brake button, it works again (but it's still very annoying and it takes a while to notice that your input is being ignored).

Recorded this, no mods and fresh savegame:

https://youtu.be/WqLi7HPV-Sc?t=5m30s

The glitch happened several times during the video, but it's most noticable at 5:30. After I stopped boosting, the glitch happened and my ship continued flying forwards at the same vectory and velocity (watch the space dust), despite mashing and holding the thruster buttons all the time (until I manually stopped the glitch by activating assist).

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 7. Jul 17, 11:56

Also, an option for full flight assist OFF mode would be welcome :roll: Currently flight assist is still activated for roll even when you disable FA.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 10. Jul 17, 16:27

I have not seen this stuck throttle/strafe issue in vanilla and wonder whether this could be a stuck controller input issue? Does it happen with just mouse & keyboard connected for example? Is your game modded and/or do you have a Newtonian flight mode somehow selected? (It sounds a bit like cruise control to me! :D )

I thought self-levelling was the 'Autoroll' setting in Game Options rather than under Controls Options.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Mon, 10. Jul 17, 22:23

Alan Phipps wrote:I have not seen this stuck throttle/strafe issue in vanilla and wonder whether this could be a stuck controller input issue? Does it happen with just mouse & keyboard connected for example? Is your game modded and/or do you have a Newtonian flight mode somehow selected? (It sounds a bit like cruise control to me! :D )

It's a vanilla and a completly new savegame.

It seems to happen when I hold the thruster controls in a certain way during boost in FA OFF or when I stop boosting but the ship is still flying above the max non-boost speed and slowing down. I didn't pin it down yet (didn't play much). It doesn't look like a input issue, all keys work fine except the thruster keys (even roll works when this glitch is active).

I thought self-levelling was the 'Autoroll' setting in Game Options rather than under Controls Options.
I have autoroll disabled, but it's a different function (autoroll levels your ship to match the system map).

What I mean is, that when you hold down your rolling keys (Q/E for me), your ship is rotating, but when you stop holding them down the ship will automatically slow down the rolling (regardless of FA OFF/ON). I'd like to continue rolling in FA OFF even when I stop holding down the roll button (so, having to manually stop the roll with using a opposite direction roll button, like in real physics).

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 13:41

Hi. While I can't immediately reproduce the described bug I'll put it on my list to check out. Any more hints as to how it can be reproduced would be welcome!

As for disabling the flight assist for rolling: we deliberately limited that feature to only change linear movement. We felt that doing the same for rotation didn't add anything significant to the player's toolkit and would be annoying if it was forced to be on.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 19:43

DocAce wrote:Hi. While I can't immediately reproduce the described bug I'll put it on my list to check out. Any more hints as to how it can be reproduced would be welcome!

As for disabling the flight assist for rolling: we deliberately limited that feature to only change linear movement. We felt that doing the same for rotation didn't add anything significant to the player's toolkit and would be annoying if it was forced to be on.
I will jump on testing as soon as I'll be able to. Will update then, maybe record a vid or something.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 15. Jul 17, 18:12

I found out the conditions under which the glitch happens, and managed to reproduce it everytime I try.

1. Thrust forwards, hold the thrust button
2. While thrusting forward, activate the afterburner for a while
3. Stop boosting and thrusting forward, and immidiatelly turn your ship around while thrusting to the opposite direction of the boost.

Video of this, where I perform the steps and my thrust controls lock and don't react even though I'm mashing them all the time, and I have to turn flight assist ON to get rid of the glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hth6fcD ... e=youtu.be

Helios01
xr

Post by Helios01 » Fri, 11. Aug 17, 01:54

I can confirm that strafing seems to have absolutely no effect while boosting, and even a few seconds after boosting with FA OFF. This bug was there ever since the feature was intruduced and is making it impossible to fly efficiently with the FA OFF, as the ship clearly has unreasonably less maneuverability than with FA ON.
"If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars" - Carl Sagan

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 09:07

I have tried to reproduce this bug today and had no success. It's possible that it will be fixed in the next patch (for which I don't know a date yet).

If it isn't, I'd like some additional information:
1) Do you have any additional control device attached? Joystick, gamepad, steering wheel, etc. You can see them in Settings -> Controls -> Manage Controllers/Joysticks. To make sure there isn't one that's not listed you can select one of the options, the game should show you everything that's available.
2) Can you PM me your inputmap.xml and config.xml out of your personal folder? C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\Documents\egosoft\x rebirth

As for Helios's comment: both steering and strafing are reduced during boosting on purpose. Flying without flight assist is no exception.

Helios01
xr

Post by Helios01 » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 12:27

DocAce wrote:As for Helios's comment: both steering and strafing are reduced during boosting on purpose. Flying without flight assist is no exception.
I'm aware of strafing and steering being reduced without flight assist, I'm only pointing out that strafing is wholly impossible during and a little while after boosting with FA off.
For example: When I'm boosting with flight assist and steering at full rate, the ship automatically applies lateral thrusters in such strength that there appears to be no visible drift at all. But when I'm boosting without flight assist and I point the Skunk's nose upwards, then even while holding W all the time (for thrusting upwards), I continue drifting forward, with only the main engines being capable of changing my trajectory (resulting in very profound drifting)
"If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars" - Carl Sagan

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 13:44

I think I get what you mean now. It's likely just a result of the way the top speed is technically enforced in that mode, but I'll take a closer look soon.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”