Video Enhancement Goggles ??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Video Enhancement Goggles ??

Post by Bill Huntington » Thu, 29. Jun 17, 22:58

Does anyone use the Video Enhancement Goggles regularly? Are they worth using on a regular basis?

I used them on the Aran quest but not anything else.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

KMcr
x4

Post by KMcr » Thu, 29. Jun 17, 23:10

I do, not for anything tactical, more an eye candy thing.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 29. Jun 17, 23:11

I used them less in the later games but did quite often in X-Tension and X2. They just became standard equipment like SETA and Boost Extensions. I think I used it for finer aiming in X-T at the start of a fight, but it's been so long, I'm not sure.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: Video Enhancement Goggles ??

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 29. Jun 17, 23:35

Bill Huntington wrote:Does anyone use the Video Enhancement Goggles regularly? Are they worth using on a regular basis?

I used them on the Aran quest but not anything else.
I use them rather a lot (and miss them terribly in Rebirth as a result). There was a time when I would even try to use them in real life, out of habit from such frequent use in X games. Needless to say, those attempts met with disappointingly little success...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 30. Jun 17, 00:35

VEG are useful for finding 'hidden' free ships (such as Aran, altho this is less of a problem as it's always lit up), now devalued by spoilers IMO

They're a reasonable enhancement early-game, but less useful later when you have Asats to drop (again IMO)

IIRC there was some discussion about CAG/UT (whichever lvl - check the BP PDFs) traders using them to spot enemies earlier, but I dunno if this was ever implemented or useful
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 30. Jun 17, 01:22

I use them to spot Atmosphere Lifters in Terran Sectors, because they can occasionally be hard to see. Or to visually identify ships out of scanner range.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 30. Jun 17, 15:35

If you're relatively new to the game, and don't know where everything is by memory, Video Enhancement Goggles are great for spotting distant stations that are out of scanner range (hidden research stations, etc.). Once you've played enough campaigns that there are no further surprises sitting a ways off the beaten path, they're a lot less valuable.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 30. Jun 17, 20:15

I like close-ups. Not daily, but quite often. To evaluate how my photon pulses meet that still distant large object ...

Edit: Jumping to vastness of Asteroid Belt, to war, no scanner is strong enough, and thus the Goggles and Mk I eyeball are essential for target priorization.

Snafu_X3 wrote:IIRC there was some discussion about CAG/UT (whichever lvl - check the BP PDFs) traders using them to spot enemies earlier, but I dunno if this was ever implemented or useful
Fact 1: the AI uses almost nothing.
Fact 2: earlier games had very minimal UI for scripts. No chance to create a menu.

Workaround: Lets add to our script:

Code: Select all

IF ship has Foo
THEN do Bar
ELSE do Gaz
The script by default does Gaz, but if the player equips the ship with Foo, then the script will do Bar instead. (Some players tend to buy all equipment for all ships, which obviously had consequences.)

As said, most ship upgrades are/were meaningless to the AI. The script authors could select such Foo that in some ways could be associated with the Bar action for mild suspension of disbelief.

X3AP, however, has much better UI for the scripts.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sat, 1. Jul 17, 06:30

Triaxx2 wrote:... to visually identify ships out of scanner range.
Yes, this. I sometimes hangout in Xenon sectors to pick up loot and I use VEG to watch enemy ships that can't be targeted for F3 mode. It lets me know when it's time to leave.
This is only a virtual reality.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sat, 1. Jul 17, 06:37

Snafu_X3 wrote:IIRC there was some discussion about CAG/UT traders using them to spot enemies earlier, but I dunno if this was ever implemented or useful
This has been discussed very much because VEG will prevent CAGs from using their jump drives.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 1. Jul 17, 19:44

patient zero wrote:
Snafu_X3 wrote:IIRC there was some discussion about CAG/UT traders using them to spot enemies earlier, but I dunno if this was ever implemented or useful
This has been discussed very much because VEG will prevent CAGs from using their jump drives.
I think this is only applicable to X2 (and possibly X3R), if I'm not mistaken - pretty sure that equipment-as-Boolean-flag has since been abandoned, as a consequence of the abovementioned improved control interface for autonomous pilots.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 2. Jul 17, 01:42

Can't see a reference in the BP PDF; must have been an option for X2 or X3:R UTs

Apologies for timewasting, anyone who took the time to check :(
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Tue, 4. Jul 17, 19:10

You might be right. TC didn't have VEG & I couldn't find it in the X3R_BP_EN.PDF. Must have been the ST instead. Sorry about the misinformation.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 4. Jul 17, 20:33

patient zero wrote:TC didn't have VEG
TC most certainly does have VEG. They are sold in military bases and a few other places (and are probably standard kit in a Terran Commander start.) Unless what you meant is that they are not used as Boolean switches in the CAGs, which is correct - the more evolved interactive CAG interface is used instead.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Thu, 6. Jul 17, 21:30

OK. I'm getting old & forgetful. I was thinking of ecliptic projector.

Ranix
x4

Post by Ranix » Thu, 20. Jul 17, 09:32

the goggles, they do nothing

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 20. Jul 17, 23:04

Ranix wrote:the goggles, they do nothing
You mean other than allowing you to zoom in several levels and see things on the other side of a sector as if they were right next to you. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 01:24

Look in the options menu and set a hotkey for them.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Mon, 7. Aug 17, 00:08

I love these things, I just started a new game of AP and headed to Splitfire to gather missiles, and of course the old Pirate brigantine is there giving everyone trouble, and in come the Paranid, spamming swarm missiles

Made the whole hour of collecting stuff in Splitfire worth while, very cool watching it all play out with goggles

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”