New letter in German . . .

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 23:04

Usenko wrote:My daughter Þinks we're all a bunch of nerds, but a Þorough understanding of English orÞographical practice demonstrates Þat we have a point . . .
Considering the body of collected esoteric knowledge represented by this online gathering, I believe we could easily come to a consensus that your daughter is, indeed, correct.

She should study nerdstuffs in school so she can get an official title that allows her to alert nerds when they're wrong about nerdstuffs. :)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 11:46

I am way more impressed that Þey already had a place for Þis letter in Þe unicode standard, as if Þey knew.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 14:33

Tamina wrote:I am way more impressed that Þey already had a place for Þis letter in Þe unicode standard, as if Þey knew.
Þ exists in modern Icelandic, so it's not at all surprising þat þere's a Unicode character for it. But Unicode has characters for all sorts of obscure historical alphabets as well. ᚦ, þe Anglo-Saxon rune from which þe letter descends, is in Unicode as well, along with þe rest of þe various common runic alphabets.

(Interesting aside: in Middle English, þe way þe letter þ was written decayed into someþing indistinguishable from a y, hence "ye olde" and so forþ for "þe old".)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 03:45

I've a feeling there was another character that resembled either and an s or an f or maybe a combination of the two. I think it was taller than both but I don't think I ever found out what it was called.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 07:51

brucewarren wrote:I've a feeling there was another character that resembled either and an s or an f or maybe a combination of the two. I think it was taller than both but I don't think I ever found out what it was called.
That was just the old Celtic "s". They used it instead of the modern s when it appeared anywhere other than the end of a word, but that practice died out centuries ago.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 10:16

clakclak wrote:Because there is a discrepancy between graphemes (the letters you write) and phonemes (what you pronounce, expressed using the IPA=International Phonetic Alphabet) in English and many other modern languages.
Interestingly, a German once claimed that German language spoken exactly as it is written. :roll:

I do know that in Finnish the way to pronounce a character does not change regardless of the context (i.e. alone or within a word, any word). There are only couple exceptions.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 10:45

Part of the reason English is the way it is is the history of England. To whit, the fact that it was once the island that every major empire or group of people in the area used to conquer just to show everyone how tough they were. :)

Therefore it had a language that was constantly coming into direct contact with other languages. And eventually what would emerge was a syncretism of (often incompatible) tongues.

Not sure about the great vowel shift though, that's nuts. Why the heck did we do that?! :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 11:44

pjknibbs wrote:
brucewarren wrote:I've a feeling there was another character that resembled either and an s or an f or maybe a combination of the two. I think it was taller than both but I don't think I ever found out what it was called.
That was just the old Celtic "s". They used it instead of the modern s when it appeared anywhere other than the end of a word, but that practice died out centuries ago.
Yeah, this is the long s. It's actually where the modern integral ſymbol comes from, but you don't really encounter it otherwiſe. Intereſtingly, my ſpellchecker actually recogniſes the long s as being equivalent to a ſtandard s character, though it doesn't seem to know the "not at the end of a word" rule.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 11:53

red assassin wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:
Yeah, this is the long s. It's actually where the modern integral ſymbol comes from, but you don't really encounter it otherwiſe. Intereſtingly, my ſpellchecker actually recogniſes the long s as being equivalent to a ſtandard s character, though it doesn't seem to know the "not at the end of a word" rule.
This is where the German letter "ß" originates from. Very similar in its usage.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”