[4.20 HF1] HOTAS Example and setup Instructions.

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dertien
x2

[4.20 HF1] HOTAS Example and setup Instructions.

Post by dertien » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 15:42

X-55/56 setup guide X-Rebirth VR:

- Launch XRVR in screen mode by keeping the oculus headset away from the sensor - game will launch automatically on screen.

- If not already done so: switch to Windowed, single monitor and do not confine mouse to window (for now):

- Settings->Controls->Confine Mouse To Window : OFF
- Settings->Graphic Settings-> Monitor Behaviour: Single Eye
- Settings->Graphic Settings-> Screen Display Mode: Windowed

Now we can switch between the guide and the game without losing the game window at the bottom of the screen in the process; wich will happen if you leave the 'Confine Mouse to Window Option ON.

Make sure the game has both your Joystick and Throttle to work with:

- Settings->Controls->Manage Controllers/Joysticks

If you only see one HOTAS controller in the list - usually your stick -, click a free slot and select the throttle (or the one you don't see on the first line).

To be sure your Hotas behaves like one, invert the necessary axes. You might need to come back to this screen later. At the moment use these settings:

- Settings->Controls->Invert Axes

My settings (could be different from yours mind you):

-steer left/right: Normal
-steer up down: Inverted
- Roll: Inverted
- Throttle: Inverted.

Now to the bread and butter of things: Open the pdf below and scroll till you see the blue annotated text:

https://app.box.com/file/206249648372

OR

Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tv573j336 ... -setup.pdf

Settings->Controls->General Controls

Steering: Analog

- Steer Left-Right: Joystick: X-Axis
- Steer Up-Down: Joystick: Y-Axis
- Roll: Throttle: Bottom Throttle Rotary.
- Throttle: NA/OFF - I'm not using the throttle lever since on my X-55 before I could not find the sweet spot and put the throttle dead center with the Oculus in order to come to a dead stop.

As an alternative one could choose between using:

- The Throttle's mini-thumbstick's Y-axis (which resets to center automatically) pushing forward: increase throttle; backwards: reverse throttle
OR
- Use the throttle lever and set up a reaaaaly big dead zone of 20-25 percent or so. It should then not matter much.
OR
Fly with Flight Assist off and use digital button control to fire thrusters.

Leave the Analog strafing controls all OFF.

Either follow the PDF's suggestions and implement your own where required.
Last edited by dertien on Tue, 8. Aug 17, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 07:10

Thank you for your guide, very helpful.

I'm having some difficulty using the quick menu.
My joystick X56 stick navigates the option wheel but i dont seem to be able to select anything despite having set what i think i can see is the menu select option to my trigger (enter).

Any ideas?

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 12:51

Hm,

At the moment, there are 4 different flavors of menus in this game; which are each triggered by their unique buttons; I'm still hoping they will change this and merge the menus together, but... that's another discussion.

- There is also a choice between Legacy and Sidebar to choose as a menu.

Here is a screenshot of both:

Legacy:

http://i.imgur.com/f9SW8MY.jpg[

Sidebar:

http://i.imgur.com/hL8QxEE.jpg

A choice between sidebar and the legacy menu is found by the Menu Select option in the Settings->Controls->Menu Navigation [Menus], which is opened by pressing ENTER by default.

However the sidebar is controlled by:

- Menu scroll up: eg POV up
- Menu scroll down: eg POV down
- Menu scroll left: eg POV left
- Menu scroll right: eg POV right
- the Menu Tabulator button, the menu Close button and the menu select button.

While...

the legacy menu is controlled by the buttons defined in the 'Dialog Menu', and works with the XY-axis (Settings->Control->Menu Navigation->Misc) and holding the Dialog Menu Interaction Button (Settings->Controls->Menu Navigation - [Dialog Menu]) and choosing your option with the joystick.

Basically the same way the Quick menu and Abilities menu work.

Yes, I know it's ... confusing and unnecessarily complicated.

The Quick menu (orange circular)
The Abilities menu (drone control)
The Legacy Menu
The Interaction Menu (used on targets)
The Dialog Menu

are all controlled by:

-1 unique button to each menu (4 buttons must be assigned: one to each menu.)
- a common joystick X and Y axis used by all menus - except the Sidebar which is controlled by hat- you set in the Settings->Control->Menu Navigation->Misc option; all the way at the bottom.

Following the pdf guide in my first post you would either depress the left frontal button on the Throttle lever of the X-56, and keep it pressed; while using your assigned stick in the Misc section to choose an option. once you are happy with your choice, keep the joystick where it's pointing at and let go off the pressed button, and the choice is accepted.

No additional button (like the Enter key) is required to validate the choice.

If pressing a button triggers the Quick Menu, and the Quick Menu remains open after you release the button: that is a bug; which was reported here:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395736

If pressing the Quick Menu button shows it and letting it go makes it go away, the game is working as intended and the abovementioned steps should work.

Hope this helps.

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Sun, 6. Aug 17, 12:00

WOW thank you for your post, amazing detail!
Unfortunately i'm still unable to resolve my issue, however i am, thanks to your post, better able to describe it.

I have the Quick Menu bound to a button on my Throttle, upon pressing the button the orange Quick Menu appears and will remain on the screen until the button is pressed a second time.

Whilst on the screen i am able to navigate around the orange circle using my joystick, highlighting each of the options in turn, Property Owned, Trade Menu Zone Map etc. No matter however long i highlight the desired option it does not select. Pressing the button i've assigned to the command "Menu Select" in the top section of the Menu settings page, does not select the desired option in the Quick Menu either.

I'm at a bit of a loss at this point.

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Sun, 6. Aug 17, 12:53

Don't know if you've got an answer to this yet but try pressing the interact button whilst holding the highlighted option. This works for me.

Don't know where to put this, started enough threads so I'll leave it here for Dertian... when docking / initiating dialogue with the Touch controllers, you first select the NPC / station platform then the <legacy> options pop up and you can choose talk / dock. With the joystick there is no way to make a selection and the auto select (for me) doesn't work, in any mode. When I quick menu dock it makes a really quiet nope sound.

The devs might be aware of this but if not, a little more info on the issue.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sun, 6. Aug 17, 13:18

Brodie wrote:...Snip...
Looks like everyone has the buggy Quickmenu doubletap behaviour but me.

However when the' Quickmenu Bug' occurs, I can activate all options using their keyboard shortcuts:

&, é,",',(,§,è,!,ç,à

I'm on an Azerty keyboard

on qwerty it should show

in the icons surrounding the circle.

However, please do yourself a favor and post a confirmation that you also experience the buggy behavior in this post:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395736

since it has not been resolved yet.

In the majority of cases I no longer suffer it, but it needs to be resolved, because it makes Docking impossible (you cannot upgrade the skunk if you cannot talk to a mechanic) and you cannot deselect a ship you targeted to quote a few examples, as Franc and Salnas have already pointed out.

Aquitaine
x4

Post by Aquitaine » Mon, 7. Aug 17, 20:33

FYI, I get 'document does not exist' on the PDF link on box.com.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 13:20

Aquitaine wrote:FYI, I get 'document does not exist' on the PDF link on box.com.
Thanks for pointing that out. Box.com does that sometimes, so dropped it on Mediafire as well.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 12. Aug 17, 07:51

@ dertien ... :thumb_up:
Hour after opening rift box was flying around just using x52 pro... granted just flying around looking, but that is all I wanted,, a quick experience ... plenty of time to learn the rest .. Cheers .. :)

EDIT ... 24 (ish) hrs later .... No crashes, errors , everything appears to be working pretty good, only had one incident of docking issue quickly resolved by re-loading and that was down to using mouse in dock after lifting unit from face...... Walking on station using hotas is a little jerky and accessing the 1, 2, 3, 4 options on some menus or the + or - in system maps... but that is being not quite sure/remembering what buttons do what yet.
Only other thing is hint/instructional boxes appear with info for using keyboard not really helpful in VR.
O and my wife informs me that I fly around with my mouth open ... :)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 13. Aug 17, 17:47

Have not needed keyboard/mouse or hand controllers for a while,, purely using HOTAS,,,
Problem finding engineer to repair skunk (already mentioned elsewhere) and docking issue is more common than I thought,,,, simple save and reload.
Had problems / irritations with both campaign tutorials so ignored them completely .... and learnt quicker.
Otherwise no problems other than I miss some mods.... but I can be patient, enjoying the VR experience greatly ....

Edit ... Find Engineer at wrench/spanner symbol as already mentioned elsewhere.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Mon, 14. Aug 17, 19:51

hey BT,

Glad the guide worked. It is largely based on a working setup I used while playing Elite Dangerous, when I still used the X-55

If you only need the HOTAS now, you can happily fly with your mouth open and drool on the keyboard as much as you like since you won't be needing it; in a worst case scenario, you can always resort to one of these:

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-1401645791 ... els-17.gif

About the Engineer and not being able to ask where one is at; yes, I wrote quite a justified rant about that mechanic in the relevant thread - like I said it still works with the Recall Mod - (the ego_vr one); but I'm not sure they plan on agreeing with and implementing some of the really needed game-changers this game badly needs for a proper lift off.

I have the impression they are making the same decision errors as on the first release of X-R just in the opposite direction. The first game was an optimization nightmare, this one is far TOO optimized (if such a thing even exists) by the radical content cuts they already made to it.

Anyways glad the config works and you're enjoying it.

danichols
x4

Re: [4.20 HF1] HOTAS Example and setup Instructions.

Post by danichols » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 00:54

dertien wrote:X-55/56 setup guide X-Rebirth VR:

- Launch XRVR in screen mode by keeping the oculus headset away from the sensor - game will launch automatically on screen.

- If not already done so: switch to Windowed, single monitor and do not confine mouse to window (for now):

- Settings->Controls->Confine Mouse To Window : OFF
- Settings->Graphic Settings-> Monitor Behaviour: Single Eye
- Settings->Graphic Settings-> Screen Display Mode: Windowed

Now we can switch between the guide and the game without losing the game window at the bottom of the screen in the process; wich will happen if you leave the 'Confine Mouse to Window Option ON.

Make sure the game has both your Joystick and Throttle to work with:

- Settings->Controls->Manage Controllers/Joysticks

If you only see one HOTAS controller in the list - usually your stick -, click a free slot and select the throttle (or the one you don't see on the first line).

To be sure your Hotas behaves like one, invert the necessary axes. You might need to come back to this screen later. At the moment use these settings:

- Settings->Controls->Invert Axes

My settings (could be different from yours mind you):

-steer left/right: Normal
-steer up down: Inverted
- Roll: Inverted
- Throttle: Inverted.

Now to the bread and butter of things: Open the pdf below and scroll till you see the blue annotated text:

https://app.box.com/file/206249648372

OR

Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tv573j336 ... -setup.pdf

Settings->Controls->General Controls

Steering: Analog

- Steer Left-Right: Joystick: X-Axis
- Steer Up-Down: Joystick: Y-Axis
- Roll: Throttle: Bottom Throttle Rotary.
- Throttle: NA/OFF - I'm not using the throttle lever since on my X-55 before I could not find the sweet spot and put the throttle dead center with the Oculus in order to come to a dead stop.

As an alternative one could choose between using:

- The Throttle's mini-thumbstick's Y-axis (which resets to center automatically) pushing forward: increase throttle; backwards: reverse throttle
OR
- Use the throttle lever and set up a reaaaaly big dead zone of 20-25 percent or so. It should then not matter much.
OR
Fly with Flight Assist off and use digital button control to fire thrusters.

Leave the Analog strafing controls all OFF.

Either follow the PDF's suggestions and implement your own where required.
Ty for putting this together, and I hope to be able to use this guide. However I am having an issue where the game is not even picking up any of my controllers at all. I have the HOTAS Warthog, it works in Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and DCS without any issues at all, yet X Rebirth VR just shoiws empty slots in the Manage Controller/Joystick screen, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”