Wannacry bloke arrested in US

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Wannacry bloke arrested in US

Post by berth » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 19:57

I'm hoping they'll let him go when they realise who he is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40820837

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 20:43

Well, that depends on why they arrested him.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 09:39

He's been accused of creating malware to steal bank details.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... os-malware
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 18:26

Notoriety is a blessing and curse...

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 07:59

Wasn't he the guy who actually prevented wannacry virus from spreading? why would they arrest him for doing something good?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 10:58

They did not arrest him for that, they got him and 2 others for malware 2 years or so back that was stealing peoples bank details.

no idea if he did it or not but hackers can swing both ways and like to be hated and liked so maybe he likes to be a hero and is also a shady bloke too.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 6. Aug 17, 11:07

Last news is he has fessed up to the crime.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 6. Aug 17, 11:12

Looks more like FBI recruitment.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sun, 6. Aug 17, 14:41

Rapier wrote:Looks more like FBI recruitment.
Highly probable. They've done that in the past.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 10:10

I presume this is along the lines of 'work for us or go to jail for 30 years?'

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 17:28

Just in my opinion - While hiring "hackers" is a common trope when people think about certain law-enforcement agencies, it's not as true as people would like to think. Agencies do learn from such people and there is sometimes a strange, isolated, community that builds up, forming a bridge between law-enforcement and those that could be considered to be mildly criminal, enthusiastic, hackers.

BUT, these days, law-enforcement agencies don't hire active criminals, IMO. (Forceful, with legal threat, "debriefings" are probably another story, though. :) ) The days of "do computer" being mysterious for stuffy law-enforcement agencies is sort of over. I don't think this particular hacker is going to find a job working for the FBI any more than Kevin Mitnick did. (Rehabbed criminals or consultants who have proven their white-hat status might be a different story. And, this isn't about intelligence-gathering agencies like the NSA who might not care just as long as they're working for them. :) )

In other words, IMO, if this guy did commit the crime he's accused of, he'll be prosecuted according to the law. If he used his skills to create something really interesting, he'll be interviewed and questioned by appropriate agencies. If he knows more, he might get consideration for that if he's willing to talk/testify. But, he won't get a job offer from the FBI.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 21:25

Morkonan wrote:In other words, IMO, if this guy did commit the crime he's accused of, he'll be prosecuted according to the law. If he used his skills to create something really interesting, he'll be interviewed and questioned by appropriate agencies. If he knows more, he might get consideration for that if he's willing to talk/testify. But, he won't get a job offer from the FBI.
Most probably something like this. If he has enough valuable intel to offer then he might get off the hook, but these days any agencies has enough (non-famous) crooks from their own country to use.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 09:42

Morkonan wrote:Just in my opinion - While hiring "hackers" is a common trope when people think about certain law-enforcement agencies, it's not as true as people would like to think. Agencies do learn from such people and there is sometimes a strange, isolated, community that builds up, forming a bridge between law-enforcement and those that could be considered to be mildly criminal, enthusiastic, hackers.

BUT, these days, law-enforcement agencies don't hire active criminals, IMO. (Forceful, with legal threat, "debriefings" are probably another story, though. :) ) The days of "do computer" being mysterious for stuffy law-enforcement agencies is sort of over. I don't think this particular hacker is going to find a job working for the FBI any more than Kevin Mitnick did. (Rehabbed criminals or consultants who have proven their white-hat status might be a different story. And, this isn't about intelligence-gathering agencies like the NSA who might not care just as long as they're working for them. :) )

In other words, IMO, if this guy did commit the crime he's accused of, he'll be prosecuted according to the law. If he used his skills to create something really interesting, he'll be interviewed and questioned by appropriate agencies. If he knows more, he might get consideration for that if he's willing to talk/testify. But, he won't get a job offer from the FBI.
I've seen every episode of CSI, NCIS, Numb3rs, and Bones. And from that vast understanding of crime fighting I can tell you that you are wrong.

Pfff, it's almost as if you don't believe that two people typing on the same keyboard can hack twice as fast as one.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 14. Aug 17, 23:02

Jericho wrote:I've seen every episode of CSI, NCIS, Numb3rs, and Bones. And from that vast understanding of crime fighting I can tell you that you are wrong.

Pfff, it's almost as if you don't believe that two people typing on the same keyboard can hack twice as fast as one.
I literally laughed my a$$ off... Thanks for that, especially that last line! ROFL that's gold right there, it is.

* I be those two could 1337 haxxors through seven proxies...

Return to “Off Topic English”