Will we be able to navigate large capital ships by ourselves in X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 05:28

Finally, page 18. :D
The LAST thing I want to do is spend five minutes holding left stick so I can dock a capital vessel.
Actually i do like the immersion of docking a capital vessel. After a huge empire(i keep it small anyways) i usually don't bother using seta anyways. Too busy optimizing the traders. I like for a fact that staying inside an M2/M1 as a flagship since it gives a sense of invincibility unless you screw it up or jumped into a gate with 4 xenon K's full of PSP's. I could maximize the poor maneuverability and weapon setup as a glorious heroic captain in the game for that particular ship i am on, and the thrill of evading capital weapon rounds in a cap and broadsiding em at point blank range keeps me going. Itching to buy and try rebirth but i haven't even finished pumping TC economy just yet to get those ghoul missiles for kicks and giggles. Or maybe it was just the sales :wink:

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 22:48

ajime wrote:Finally, page 18. :D
The LAST thing I want to do is spend five minutes holding left stick so I can dock a capital vessel.
Actually i do like the immersion of docking a capital vessel. After a huge empire(i keep it small anyways) i usually don't bother using seta anyways. Too busy optimizing the traders. I like for a fact that staying inside an M2/M1 as a flagship since it gives a sense of invincibility unless you screw it up or jumped into a gate with 4 xenon K's full of PSP's. I could maximize the poor maneuverability and weapon setup as a glorious heroic captain in the game for that particular ship i am on, and the thrill of evading capital weapon rounds in a cap and broadsiding em at point blank range keeps me going. Itching to buy and try rebirth but i haven't even finished pumping TC economy just yet to get those ghoul missiles for kicks and giggles. Or maybe it was just the sales :wink:
I think that's part of the problem... Evading capital ship weapons in a capital ship? That kind of makes a cap ship like a fighter, which it should not be. That's like a modern day carrier "evading" a torpedo... Cap ships are not made to evade stuff, that's what fighters are for. They should be designed to project power on a location. Blow stuff to kingdom come before it even comes close enough to fire.

I know it's a game and all, but making all ships behave like fighters kind of messes it up for me a bit...

Athraku
x3ap

Post by Athraku » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 11:19

So many people telling others how they should play a game that isn't finished... saying capital ships are boring as a statement that must be true.

X-3 major draw for me was the freedom it offered if I wanted to fly a fighter I was free to do so... if i wanted to take a capital ship and watch as its many turrets swatted anything with the misfortune of coming into range... could do that.

Cap ships are given to the player waay to fast with no rep grinds in rebirth too I hope that's fixed with X-4.

With a major criticism of X-Rebirth being the fact you're chained to the skunk I would have guessed an X-4 would have tired to offer us the freedom we had back in previous titles and not stopping half way.
"Tis better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent...

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 16:33

Athraku wrote:So many people telling others how they should play a game that isn't finished... saying capital ships are boring as a statement that must be true.
I think you are pushing the boundaries of alternative facts. If people say that flying capital ships is boring, then it probably is, for them, which makes it true.

And again with the idea that people want to remove options for others, severely lacks any intention at understanding. The point was made extensively, that we live in a world with finite resources and assuming we agree on that (if we dont, then there is no point in discussing anything really), then the point of people that find the ability to fly capital ships less appealing, rather want resources diverted to areas of the game that benefit all player.

Doesnt mean you have to agree with it. Ideally we would have all the options, possibly for free too.

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 18:25

Athraku wrote: Cap ships are given to the player waay to fast with no rep grinds in rebirth too I hope that's fixed with X-4.

With a major criticism of X-Rebirth being the fact you're chained to the skunk I would have guessed an X-4 would have tired to offer us the freedom we had back in previous titles and not stopping half way.

Obtaining a large fleet of capships in XR was waaay to easy, but in X3 it was too long and micromanagement hell.
I hope that X4 will be something between XR and X3 (leaning slightly to XR "speed/ease").

From what we know, you won't be able to directly control capship in X4. Deal with it, case close, roma locuta causa finita.
You have to wait for X5.

For me the more pressing matter is how good the GUI for capship conrol will be, so I could sit comfortably on the bridge of capship, giving commands, not piloting the damn pile of junk.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 18:58

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing a real-world battleship, takes more than a joystick to control. On the other hand, a fighter jet is designed for single pilot control with a joystick (or equivalent).

Therefore, controlling a huge Capital spaceship like we would a fighter craft doesn't make a lot of sense. Issuing instructions to the crew seems logical for X4; providing they can come up with vastly improved AI and UI. If not, give me my joystick/keyboard/mouse and I'll control them on my own.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 20:10

"providing they can come up with vastly improved AI and UI. If not, give me my joystick/keyboard/mouse and I'll control them on my own."

this /\

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 13:48

I'd like to see a kind of RPG aspect added to this where you can specialize in either large ships or small ships.
The way I would do it,
It would be available mid-late game and be very expensive
You purchase a cybernetic implant that allows you to interface better with your ship giving slight bonus to stuff like speed/shield regen/turn rate/weapon regen

A delay could be added to commands issued to other ships and the implant and further levels of it reduce this delay

Crews could also be added that boost certain things aswell such as a boron crew would boost shield regen, argon crew that boosts hull points and hull repair, split crew would increase speed etc

Tolmos
x3tc

Post by Tolmos » Wed, 23. Aug 17, 01:31

I've been playing this series since X2, and I can say that being able to manually maneuver my capships is an absolute must for me to leave X3 and go to X4 for.

The truth is, a lot of times the auto-pilot is simply an accident waiting to happen, and there are situations that require me to personally take control of the ship to get through. The last thing I need is my capital playing bumper-cars with another, or watching it do a little wiggle-dance because it came across an asteroid field and can't decide how it wants to get through. The computer navigating that asteroid field would take 10 minutes with SETA on max; it would take me 2 without SETA at all.

For me, capital ship flight is a necessary utility that helps save me a lot of headache and heartache. Losing that tool in Rebirth ultimately led to me shelving the game and returning to X3. I would likely do similar if confronted with the same issue for X4, unless the auto-pilot was significantly improved over the previous iterations.

Now, it they DO improve the autopilot, then I have no need for the utility. But it's a great workaround when things get tough.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 24. Aug 17, 04:32

Athraku wrote:So many people telling others how they should play a game that isn't finished... saying capital ships are boring as a statement that must be true.

X-3 major draw for me was the freedom it offered if I wanted to fly a fighter I was free to do so... if i wanted to take a capital ship and watch as its many turrets swatted anything with the misfortune of coming into range... could do that.

Cap ships are given to the player waay to fast with no rep grinds in rebirth too I hope that's fixed with X-4.

OT abit:Well with the right angle and luck even the USS Enterprise was able to evade all counts of torps by the jap bombers. :wink:
But yeah cap duels are impossible to have 0 hits to your sheild from a realistic point of view. Imo turret Slugfest is just as fun as watching TerSlash lasers in Freespace 2 rip apart other ships. I can just just not evade intentionally and watch it pulverize anything in its crosshairs and getting shot in return.

Player
x4

Post by Player » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 01:13

I would love to pilot boring capital ships. The more of these ships in the game, the better.

t-master
x3tc

Post by t-master » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 23:32

Just as long as they don't have that ridiculous turn rates from X3.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 23:45

t-master wrote:Just as long as they don't have that ridiculous turn rates from X3.
Capital ships SHOULD be slow and cumbersome - gotta take the bad with the good, I'm afraid. Otherwise, it's merely an overgrown fighter (which, arguably, they already are if they are directly pilotable.) Personally, I think the option to take over the HELM of the ship (from the captain or whatever) should be present, but it needs to feel different, and perhaps even be implemented slightly differently in some way, in order to distinguish a capital ship from a lesser vessel.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:02

Fresh from Egosoft presentation - you will be able to directly fly caphips if you want!

Return to “X4: Foundations”