Paid DLC in X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 21:18

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Nikola515 wrote: Are you using any mods ? Its been a while when i played vanilla but is far as I remember you would need to turn extremely slow in order for seta not to stop ? I hate it especially when I was piloting with my Titan.... With mods we can have SETA running even when map is on :D For some reason joystick works much better though....
It was a clean install using the default 6X SETA for the test. I'll check some more later!
Just rechecked with a full-upgraded Titan and both 6X and 10X SETA.

I wasn't even able to move my mouse fast enough to break SETA while mouse-steering.

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 22:13

Nikola515 wrote:@Rei Ayanami

I think there is mod that can make random sectors or something like that (ego could do something like this too)...According to plot Ancients sent millions of seeds all over universe to crate gates so with gates down we could reconnect to any of them if we wore able to build gates (like terrans in X3). Universe is huge so we could theoretically open gate to unknown sectors and zones. If Terrans/Paranid and corporations could get technology to build gates/highways so should player later in game and start expanding size of universe.It would be interesting features.... All though it would need expanding universe for this to work...

@Pesanur

What XR needs is more features and not just copy and paste universe. There are already mods that can do that. I think more flash out features would do more good to XR or any other X universe games than expending universe(adding systems). Adding weapons mods feature was good idea and I hope they keep it up... My point is what you could do in HoL DLC that you couldn't do in Albion or OL (beside having ability to build warehouse and getting certain weapons) ? Adding bundle of new features in single DLC would work better ?
Whats I say is that a DLC not only need to add a player shipyard/HQ, its need co come with a well developed plot to obtain this special station. For a new ship, the DLC need to be like the plot to obtain the Hyperion in X3 Reunion, or the Shady Business plot of Albion Prelude.

For customised stations , I think that this feature need to be implemented for free, and not as a paid DLC.

Recapitulating: Stations and ships DLCs, need to come with a plot to obtain obtain then, and the new features need to be for free.

And HoL DLC include the Xenon invasion plot and the rail weapon, but I admit that it lacks of new ships, as it use Plutarch ships, also it needs of some plot related with the Khaak's. Looks like this DLC was launched before time and never ended.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 22:39

Graaf wrote:
spankahontis wrote:X:BTF only had one ship and people enjoyed it and came back for more.
Then there were multiple ships introduced in later titles so I don't see how your point makes sense?
Sorry, but I started with X2. I didn't buy Rebirth for the same reason I didn't buy X:BTF. They are both downgrades from what we have.
And as it currently looks, Rebirth 2 will be too.

spankahontis wrote:You don't want to be looking outside the ship when you're playing in VR.
And to snub VR because 'at the moment' not many people have it? Is a backwards opinion to have, VR is dropping in price and eventually it will be affordable for most people.
Sorry bur VR is the future of Space Sims.
Even this old fuddy duddy with my old Amstrad and ZX Spectrum, that was put off with old VR in the 90's, I laughed when they said it was the future on Tomorrows World.
I was convinced when I tried it for myself at a friends house. X Games were made for VR, the whole point of a Space simulation is to simulate the experience of space travel.
Besides, you can still switch between the 2 modes and common sense that X:4 will be the same, so your 1% argument isn't going anywhere; best of both Worlds.
If I'm not mistaken you still need a graphics card capable of VR along with the VR-headset. Not everyone is willing or capable to afford that.
And if it is anything like 3D movies, then I have to say it's overrated.

spankahontis wrote:SETA makes all the difference!
Navigating the largest ships, even doing a 90 Degree turn is a grind and needing SETA to speed up the process defeats the point of navigating large ships and the 'Game lore' behind SETA, it's supposed to be used to speed up long journeys, not to switch on and off when doing turns.. That shows a flaw so I partly agree with your view on SETA, but still doesn't give a reason to navigate large ships.
I'm sure many times the issue has been discussed to make Large Ships faster when manoeuvring and nobody could ever explain why it would be a good idea to make large ships more agile? Hence the SETA dilemma.

And it was pressure from the community to bring back SETA, so hampering had nothing to do with it.. Egosoft was riding a wave of angry customers and giving them what they want sadly outweighed what you wanted at the time.
A: Pointless point you are making since you aren't allowed to pilot capital ships.
B: If you could pilot capital ships, then SETA wouldn't work when you are making a turn since it deactivates when you start pressing keys. So only when you are not really piloting, like autopilot.
C: Having the software available doesn't mean you are forced to use it. And although I didn't buy Rebirth and don't use SETA in X3, I still voted to have it put in the game for those who do. Thus invalidating your point.

spankahontis wrote:As for X: Rebirth 2 not being able to readdress any problems it has?
There was never going to be a new X Game with the X3 Engine, was too large to handle and simply making another Expansion Pack to add new ships, Sectors and storyline wasn't going to cut it.
Like it or not They had to make a totally new engine, the direction it's going is unclear but I'm happy with it so far and after Home of Light many are as well with the Good Reviews.
Personally what your looking for is never going to happen, at least not for a very very long time.
I never said I wanted the old engine back. The new engine is one of the few things I think are an improvement over X3. It's the design of the game that is the problem.

I started playing X Games when X: Reunion came out, before that it was Frontier Elite 2 so i've been playing Space Sims a good while and yet I still enjoyed playing X:Rebirth (Despite it missing features I wanted to see) more than I've played Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude and the Classic Frontier: Elite 2.
Don't need to repurchase any of them as I can't go back to them, Rebirth personally satisfies me so your opinion and mine on this matter are neither here nor there, so irrelevant.
What matters is the overall view that People at first hated the game and now after a ton of patches and changes to most aspects of the game, people started coming back to the game and started to enjoy it when Home of Light was released, so Egosoft has rowed the waves and is sailing in the right direction for now.
Still allot to do.

Yes, you need a Nvidia Graphics card about 9th to 10th generation, I got a 1060 STI 5 GB for a Bargain 180 quid, did need a 600w power source to add to the power requirements, but a high quality one is also a decent affordable price.. So a VR Ready PC is in reach of the average buyer and Microsoft I believe came out with the next generation of VR Machine that doesn't require a wired connection to PC from the visor helmet and handheld controller sticks. Selling at the moment for 3k, but i'm sure they will make better, cheaper versions in the not too distant future which could knock the price down of the average VR product even further from 300 pounds which it currently is. So VR has a bright future ahead.

But again, if you want to ignore all that, Rebirth VR is for both VR and ordinary systems so your point is mute.

A: You CAN pilot Large ships in X:3 titles, so I think you need to dust off your X:3 and see for yourself, you don't know what you're talking about there.
B: If you hold down the directional key while pressing the SETA Key you can, I managed it. Even if you can't keep it running, it still runs for short bursts that's enough.
Can't make the same guarantees for Joystick users as I use Keyboard for moving my ship.
C: Did I say I wanted SETA out of the game? You misheard me.
I'm saying allowing Players to pilot barges that turn painstakingly slow is a bad idea.
Because the most inpatient amongst us will turn to SETA to speed things up which isn't how SETA is meant to be used, it's immersion breaking but at the same time SETA is necessary to speed up long journey's and to acquire cash more quickly.
Nikola515 wrote:
Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: This is a false dichotomy because it is perfectly possible to steer capital ships in X3:AP with a mouse while using SETA. In fact it's pretty easy because in larger ships its relatively harder to accidentally deactivate SETA by trying to mouse-turn too quickly.
Are you using any mods ? Its been a while when i played vanilla but is far as I remember you would need to turn extremely slow in order for seta not to stop ? I hate it especially when I was piloting with my Titan.... With mods we can have SETA running even when map is on :D For some reason joystick works much better though....

It can be done, I used it when piloting an Ocre to tractor beam some Asteroids for a super station (Which I admit I miss this feature terribly).

It's about timing if I remember rightly, you press and hold in the direction you want while pressing the SETA key at the exact right time and you can turn without breaking SETA.
Last edited by spankahontis on Wed, 16. Aug 17, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 23:04

I just did it on my old PC where I still have vanilla installed and doing 360 degrees turns kicks it out of SETA. But if I do light turns (not using full turning speed) it works fine.....
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 10:13

spankahontis wrote: A: You CAN pilot Large ships in X:3 titles, so I think you need to dust off your X:3 and see for yourself, you don't know what you're talking about there.
B: If you hold down the directional key while pressing the SETA Key you can, I managed it. Even if you can't keep it running, it still runs for short bursts that's enough.
Can't make the same guarantees for Joystick users as I use Keyboard for moving my ship.
C: Did I say I wanted SETA out of the game? You misheard me.
I'm saying allowing Players to pilot barges that turn painstakingly slow is a bad idea.
Because the most inpatient amongst us will turn to SETA to speed things up which isn't how SETA is meant to be used, it's immersion breaking but at the same time SETA is necessary to speed up long journey's and to acquire cash more quickly.
Apologies. My mistake. I thought we were discussing DLC for Rebirth 2( X4).

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 02:23

IMO it's a complaint for the sake of complaining.

Egosoft continue to supports thier products well past the period most other developers shelve them for 'new shiny project X'

There have been several updates for the core game of XR ... none of which anyone except Egosoft had to pay for. Those free updates you've recieved cost Egosoft in business tax, staff wages, utilities etc etc etc.

The 2 DLC's added new content and a playstyle option, you expect that for free ??

As to the diferences between X, X2, X3 & XR .. XR was a change in game play compared to the previous titles which were wide but shallow, XR is narrow but deep. Instead of 50 odd zones to explore you have just 4, but those 4 zones are subdivided into smaller chunks, giving us the opportunity to have a closer more indepth look at them.

XR uses the same base gameplay as the original X .. 1 ship only.
Were some people unhappy about this, well yeah, there's always someone who is going to complain just for the sake of complaining.

My favourite bit in XR
The shipcomputer statement when the 'xenon disguise' is activated
That sent chills down my spine.
It was awesome.

I'm looking forward to X4
I'm looking forward to the continuation of the story & lore thats been in the game since the original release.
Yes I expect there may be aspects that I might not totally like, but overall I expect to enjoy the experience X4 will have to offer me as a gamer.

Boeng01
x4

Post by Boeng01 » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 04:37

Graaf wrote:If I'm not mistaken you still need a graphics card capable of VR along with the VR-headset. Not everyone is willing or capable to afford that.
And if it is anything like 3D movies, then I have to say it's overrated.
As it seems you never tried out and so have no clue what you're talking about when talking about playing in VR. It's absolutely NOT 'anything like 3D movies' ...

Yes, right now it's expensive and yes, it's not perfect right now - especially in terms of resolution and performance needed.

But -in my oppinion- it's worth every € spent and i'm sure that especially for cockpit-sims it's the best experience you can get out of it right now.

And Ego did it in a great way with the possiblilty to switch between 2D and VR on the fly. If this is what they will keep for X4 they'll do a very good thing.

Yust my 2 cents...

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:21

X4 - Kingdoms End DLC
I'm in.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:27

In the presentation Bernd mention in semi-serious manner that they are working on Borons, but they probably wil not make it for X4 release.
Therefore I rather sure that this will endup as Boron DLC.
Normally I'd be in rage mode now, but X4 presentation was so good and XR DLC were cheap, so I don't mind buying 10$ DLC if X4 will be as goods as they presented.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 18:56

mr.WHO wrote:In the presentation Bernd mention in semi-serious manner that they are working on Borons, but they probably wil not make it for X4 release.
Therefore I rather sure that this will endup as Boron DLC.
Normally I'd be in rage mode now, but X4 presentation was so good and XR DLC were cheap, so I don't mind buying 10$ DLC if X4 will be as goods as they presented.
I try to not get my hopes too high, it didn't sound like that. But seriously I wouldn't even think twice about 20$ for a Boron DLC.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 10:48

Other than Boron DLC I think the pretty obvious DLC would be connection to X-Rebirth region and factions.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:09

mr.WHO wrote:Other than Boron DLC I think the pretty obvious DLC would be connection to X-Rebirth region and factions.
Boron DLC done to a high quality would I think be well received especially as ES has said at this stage they aren't likely to make the release.

The way I see it you have a combination of choices that would allow for Boron character models:
1. Stations filled with liquid
2. Environment suits (Babylon 5 style)
3. Mobile tanks (Dune Guild Navigators)

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:43

I don't get why people are against DLC in principle. As with everything, it all depends on how and why it's done.

When Electronic Arts releases games with planned DLC schemes and microtransactions, then I agree: that's usually not good value, and it's often done to milk gamers. These are marketing methods done by "suits" who don't give a f*** about their players.

That's not great, but it's very easy to deal with that: don't buy games from those companies.

However when smaller game companies release DLCs that keep their games interesting and also keep the devs alive, then what's the problem? If X4 would be a great base game that I could play for a few hundred hours, then why should I be against more good, professional content? If Egosoft (or any other developer) delivers good work and offers fair DLC with good value then I definitely want them to have my money to make more content.

Actually, if done well, good DLC with a lot of content for a great game is simply awesome. The two big Witcher 3 DLCs were basically full blown games themselves, and they were easily on the same level as the base game, and all that for 25€. I don't see how anybody who likes games could be against that.

Zenon104
x4

Post by Zenon104 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:59

DLC = F'n FAT NO.

EXPANSION PACK ONLY please!
Zenon104

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 14:58

Zenon104 wrote:DLC = F'n FAT NO.

I'm genuinely curious : As long as the DLC provides good amounts of content, what would be bad about DLC? And what is even the difference between an expansion pack and DLC, other than the name?

DLC is just a modern form of providing expansion packs. The problem is that many companies don't provide enough content in their DLC to make it worth the money. But the same happened back then with classic expansion packs too, when you sometimes paid 30$ for an RTS 5 mission expansion pack that you played through in 20 minutes, not all expansion packs back then were worth the money, just like today alot of DLC is not worth the money but on the other hand there are some games with incredibly good DLC.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 15:08

Rei Ayanami wrote:

I'm genuinely curious : As long as the DLC provides good amounts of content, what would be bad about DLC? And what is even the difference between an expansion pack and DLC, other than the name?

DLC is just a modern form of providing expansion packs. The problem is that many companies don't provide enough content in their DLC to make it worth the money. But the same happened back then with classic expansion packs too, when you sometimes paid 30$ for an RTS 5 mission expansion pack that you played through in 20 minutes, not all expansion packs back then were worth the money, just like today alot of DLC is not worth the money but on the other hand there are some games with incredibly good DLC.
Egosoft can just call it an expansion pack that you download, that should solve the issue heh.

Zenon104
x4

Post by Zenon104 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:03

Rei Ayanami wrote:

Amount of Content != cost of content.

Exactly, so like City: Skylines concert costs like $7 dollars for a building.

But their Green cities DLC adds alot more for $12.
Mass Transit $12 bucks.

Eventually it all adds up more than a $30 bucks for a expansion.

Back in the old days, expansion packs ads lots of content.

DLC + Microtranactions + whatever other nonsense just ruins the game play flow & experience by chopping it up tiny pieces to be slowly released in hoping that the DLC content will be just a good as the last one, hyping it up.
Zenon104

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:07

Extending the logic slightly:

Amount of Content != cost of content (and their relationship is not at all affected by what you call it).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:25

Zenon104 wrote:Back in the old days, expansion packs ads lots of content.
There were alot of crappy expansion packs back then that were not worth their price, just like there were really good expansions.
DLC + Microtranactions + whatever other nonsense just ruins the game play flow & experience by chopping it up tiny pieces to be slowly released in hoping that the DLC content will be just a good as the last one, hyping it up.
Despite me hating microtransactions I won't comment on microtransactions since X4 won't have microtransactions.

But about chopping up games for selling DLC: Yes, just like back in the day there were lots of crappy expansion packs, there is alot of crappy DLC nowadays and there are - unfortunately - many developers who rip out parts of their game and sell it as DLC.

On the other hand, there are also many cases of awesome DLC that is well worth the money. Skyrim for example has really nice DLC, the same goes with X:Rs HOL DLC.

Zenon104
x4

Post by Zenon104 » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 10:48

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Zenon104 wrote:Back in the old days, expansion packs ads lots of content.
There were alot of crappy expansion packs back then that were not worth their price, just like there were really good expansions.
Despite me hating microtransactions I won't comment on microtransactions since X4 won't have microtransactions.

But about chopping up games for selling DLC: Yes, just like back in the day there were lots of crappy expansion packs, there is alot of crappy DLC nowadays and there are - unfortunately - many developers who rip out parts of their game and sell it as DLC.

On the other hand, there are also many cases of awesome DLC that is well worth the money. Skyrim for example has really nice DLC, the same goes with X:Rs HOL DLC.
Then we go from DLC to Microtransactions to publisher paid mods.

Such as Bethesda latest stunt.

It goes on and on and on, no standards.

Go from one idea, to another idea, to another idea.
Zenon104

Return to “X4: Foundations”