New X game wishlist!! write here features you need in next X game

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 19:47

Nikola515 wrote:
Sockrox wrote:Something worth playing: not The Next Big Turd

No crappiness of a console port without even having the console version.

More Betty. I enjoyed hearing her prattle on about any and everything. Maybe a few sectors that get randomized (each start) between the empires.
I wouldn't expect anything more than XR with only small/medium ships to pilot. It will probably have similar fallout like XR did when people realize that X4 (XR2) don't have X3s main features. But what I'm looking forward is to see how egos apologists are going to try sugarcoat this one :rofl:

As much as I will enjoy watching people whine and boycott the game because it doesn't have 1 feature in their list of things they want in the game.
Wet wipes on standby.
mr.WHO wrote:Speaking of CV - I always hate in XR that CV stick out of the station for no reason. It would be much better if CV would be integrated as part of the station or some kind of station craddle/core - that way we would not have to bother with protection/management of two separate objects.
I feel that would be best as well.. The CV gets all the resources it needs to turn itself into the main Command Module, the Architect and Defence Officer are moved into this Command Module and from there, they will add the modules needed to make the factory run.

If the Command Module is destroyed?
We can have the choice of either?

- That it has allot of powerful shielding but also if you lose the console? You lose the entire Station.
- Or you can still move replacement staff to other modules to replace the Destroyed Module and they move back there once replaced.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 21:14

Just one feature? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rofl:

Keep it up im getting popcorn :P
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 21:28

If this is going to descend into personal bickering then it will head south, and that would be a shame.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 22:11

Nikola515 wrote:Just one feature? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rofl:

Keep it up im getting popcorn :P

Well we could count how many? Like we could count how many features Egosoft have re-introduced on demand from the community.. But then it's never enough. :)

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 22:33

Not enough to turn public opinion in their favor(as whole not just hand full of people)... Unless they make game that is same or better than X3 we can expect same fallout and bad reviews.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Kasabian
x3ap

Post by Kasabian » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 08:02

It has been years since the disaster of X Rebirth, all they need to do is return to their roots and players like me will come flocking back.

As for features, I want every feature Albion Prelude has and nothing less than that. If it is essentially a sequel to Rebirth with new bells and whistles then I probably will not waste my time with it.

Must have features for me are multiple and upgradable ships, buildable stations and a homebase. If any of these are missing it will be an instant deal breaker for me.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 14:35

Nikola515 wrote:Not enough to turn public opinion in their favor(as whole not just hand full of people)... Unless they make game that is same or better than X3 we can expect same fallout and bad reviews.

Like I said, they've brought back several features that people demanded and those that couldn't be brought back without breaking savegames are being re-introduced, they've even put in resources to fixing older titles, how many game companies put THAT much effort into pleasing their base?
Personally I know how it feels as a fan to be shit on by a games company like Creative Assembly, even Bethesda is creeping in that direction;
Egosoft didn't have to do any of what it's done.
It's sad that they listen to people but still it's not enough to get any respect.. I was just as angry as everyone else here at the state of which Rebirth came out, but 2 years of bug fixes to which they will still be working on them, what a year/2 years longer until certain?

And from what we know so far about the oncoming sequel, multiple ships, destroyable stations, Fleet Management to name a few?
Maybe we should trust that they are trying to redeem themselves and we can unsheathe the knives? hmm?

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 18:59

They did awesome job fixing Rebirth and it is actually pretty good game(still some problem left though). I have over 1500h on it and I'm not trying to argue about that ... But that is not the point what I'm trying to make. Their work and new features didn't make any difference when it come to public opinion as a whole. It is pretty much negative everywhere.... If they are going to truly redeem them self to public they need to make game better or equal to X3. Anything less will almost certainly end up as disaster for Ego. We might like the game but that don't count as public opinion as whole . If next title is going to be more like XR than it should be called XR2 or something else. Think what would happen to next GTA game if they took all helicopters, airplanes, big trucks , tanks, boats out if game.... Outcome would be disaster and it would probably effect sales for all next titles. Excuses and us felling sorry for them wont sell game unfortunately.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 22:46

Nikola515 wrote:They did awesome job fixing Rebirth and it is actually pretty good game(still some problem left though). I have over 1500h on it and I'm not trying to argue about that ... But that is not the point what I'm trying to make. Their work and new features don't make any difference when it come to public opinion as a whole. It is pretty much negative everywhere.... If they are going to truly redeem them self to public they need to make game better or equal to X3. Anything less will almost certainly end up as disaster for Ego. We might like the game but that don't count as public opinion as whole . If next title is going to be more like XR than it should be called XR2 or something else. Think what would happen to next GTA game if they took all helicopters, airplanes, big trucks , tanks, boats out if game.... Outcome would be disaster and it would probably effect sales for all next titles. Excuses and us felling sorry for them wont sell game unfortunately.

Has nothing to do with feeling sorry for Egosoft, that we have a company that is listening to it's customers and there are not that many companies that do that these days.
Why people want to ruin a good thing by wishing Egosoft to fail (Which many have on this board)?

Which it always boils down to.. Does Rebirth not get released due to it not having everything we want, thus Egosoft runs out of money trying to modernise it to X3 size and the company dies trying?
A unique space sim that the likes of Elite:Dangerous and similar wont be for us.

Sounds like a silly strategy to cut off the Nose to spite the face because people demand too much.
People need to get real and accept what's done is done.. And Rebirth isn't even a bad game, with mods like CWIR, Capital Ship Bridges you get a much better expansion element to the game i've never had with a heavily modded X3. And yeah I do miss certain features from X3, but I can live with some likeable features and still enjoy the game.

Even if X-R:2 was short a Player HQ due to time constraints the game would still be worth buying IMHO.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 23:28

As i said before I understand your sentiment to ego and somewhat I agree with you. But again people don't care about egos problems and reasons. All they care about quality and what game can offer. And if it dont match their expectations it will get bad publicity..... That might not be fair but that is how gaming industry works. We can argue about reason all we want but it wont make any difference when it comes to sales and game reviews. You can for example give me 50 valid reasons why we shouldn't have all ships to pilot but majority buyers don't care about it. Anyway if they decide to cut features from original X3(for whatever reason) they should expect bad reviews like with XR.

And I don't think anybody here is becuse they want ego to fail....

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 00:46

Nikola515 wrote:As i said before I understand your sentiment to ego and somewhat I agree with you. But again people don't care about egos problems and reasons. All they care about quality and what game can offer. And if it dont match their expectations it will get bad publicity..... That might not be fair but that is how gaming industry works. We can argue about reason all we want but it wont make any difference when it comes to sales and game reviews. You can for example give me 50 valid reasons why we shouldn't have all ships to pilot but majority buyers don't care about it. Anyway if they decide to cut features from original X3(for whatever reason) they should expect bad reviews like with XR.

And I don't think anybody here is becuse they want ego to fail....

Then people need to see the bigger picture, even if they don't wanna hear it.
I'm sure true X fans will see this brand is worth saving.
Be a tragedy to see the lore that has been built up over the years go to waste.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 08:46

So you think whatever is left of our divided community can sustain and cover development coasts of next title ? That is one of reasons why it would best to go back to original features and bring back lost community back. We as community need to rebuild and than expand.... But that is all up to Ego and how much risk are they willing to take.

Just like you I don't want to see them fail but If they don't do something they might. I hope XR VR pays off and brings more revenue for X4...

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 22:37

Nikola515 wrote:So you think whatever is left of our divided community can sustain and cover development coasts of next title ? That is one of reasons why it would best to go back to original features and bring back lost community back. We as community need to rebuild and than expand.... But that is all up to Ego and how much risk are they willing to take.

Just like you I don't want to see them fail but If they don't do something they might. I hope XR VR pays off and brings more revenue for X4...

It's all we can do.

Seeing XR:2 complete the features that are missing through time constraints while introducing new ones will save the franchise or it will kill the franchise?

I'm hoping VR will do just that.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 06:16

Damned if you do and damned if you don't...... Now the question is which side wind is blowing?

Serath

Responsible coding practices, Player friendliness and Immersion

Post by Serath » Mon, 14. Aug 17, 00:07

Not so much a game feature as a coding request ...

- No XML: Please, Please Egosoft ... use the right tool for the right purpose. There are much better ways to allow for mod/script ability than XML. XML is for human readability when human intervention is required in data transfer between encoded states. Machines neither need nor particularly care for multi character instructions when a single/double character would suffice (ofc not referring to operands, that's a different story). It's not suited for run-time environments. With that said, if you added a middle step in the form of a binary encoder for modders so the game doesn't have to use a parser to load/save/manipulate data, it would be less of an issue.

- More calculations and less pseudo real-time tracking. Yeah, we all wish we could recreate an entire world down to a fine granularity without "cheating the system" but the sheen quickly wears off when you can't even play the mini-game without stuttering let alone have a intense space battle because of all the CPU overhead churning away in the back-ground. Makes one wonder why with all the granular mass traffic tracking, there is a apparent large'ish disconnect between OOZ action time and IZ.

- More "use your brain" game play and less "frustrate the heck out of players". There is a huge difference between using your head to figure out solutions to problems and having to guess at the purpose/reason for things (more often than not leading to misguided assumptions and endless misinformation flooding the internet * cough - steam - cough *)

- Time sinks is fun and all the first couple of rounds, after that it just becomes a chore. Add to that the minor rewards in proportion to the work you had to put in and it becomes cruel and unusual punishment. I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't seem so disconnected/unbalanced.

- Diversity is the spice of life. Seeing the exact same layout, finding loot in the exact same spot, having the exact same discussion over and over just adds to the frustration and aversion to doing "time sink" tasks. Not to mention having to chat with npc's sitting on their bunks next to the shower or casually strolling around what seems to be a jail to hire employees, lol.

All in all I love the concept of XR, it's just a couple of things that really at times makes you want to give up the ghost ... not because you don't want to think or are too lazy to do certain aspects etc, et al. It's down to good ol fashioned user friendliness and intuitive design. The simplest example of all ... just being able to name/delete save games should already be a given.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Responsible coding practices, Player friendliness and Immersion

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 14. Aug 17, 00:35

Serath wrote:Not so much a game feature as a coding request ...

- No XML: Please, Please Egosoft ... use the right tool for the right purpose. There are much better ways to allow for mod/script ability than XML. XML is for human readability when human intervention is required in data transfer between encoded states. Machines neither need nor particularly care for multi character instructions when a single/double character would suffice (ofc not referring to operands, that's a different story). It's not suited for run-time environments. With that said, if you added a middle step in the form of a binary encoder for modders so the game doesn't have to use a parser to load/save/manipulate data, it would be less of an issue.
Egosoft addressed the topic of using XML in X4 in a recent thread (if wishing to discuss the XML topic further, please reply in that thread about it instead of here - thanks):
Xenon_Slayer wrote: Yes, we are keeping the XML based scripting for AI/Missions. UI is still lua script.
Xenon_Slayer wrote:I expect the performance would be similar regardless of which format the script is. The XML is parsed on loading the game, so after that point, it doesn't really have any bearing. Our AI and MD systems are very event driven, so not much happens until it is supposed to happen. It's the execution of the script actions which is where performance can take a hit. Of course, there have been optimisations in the script engine to help. One of which was an early-out for expressions e.g.

Code: Select all

<do_if value="$NPC.exists and $NPC.owner == faction.argon"/>
With the early-out optimisation, if the $NPC.exists fails, then the owner check will not occur.

For the most part though, it's what happens withing the expressions/actions themselves which can cause the most performance impact. This usually leads to optimisations elsewhere in the engine rather than in the scripts or script engine.
CBJ wrote:Since all of it still applies, I will quote the answer I gave last time this discussion came up:
CBJ wrote:Some of the original reasons for choosing XML for the MD were:

- Domain-specific structure (it's laid out in the form of the conditions and actions required for mission progress) and syntax (many of the conditions and actions are directly mapped to mission activities rather than just being generic programming terms)
- Missions can be created with very limited programming knowledge (while it's possible to do programmer-y things like loops, it is also possible to create simple missions entirely without this, which helps with the learning curve)
- Editing comes with built-in self-documentation as well as syntax auto-completion (most self-respecting XML editors understand schemas, and the schemas can also be used to provide the documentation)
- Easy to parse and convert to internal format (it is loaded and parsed very simply using standard XML libraries, then converted into an internal form that is that is, like the raw syntax, closely tied to its purpose, rather than using a generic third party interpreter or JIT compiler)

Now, bearing in mind that we have been working with the MD, in one form or another, for nearly 10 years, the reason we continue to use it is very simple: we have it, it works, and it does what mission developers need it to. The AI scripting system shares some key elements, such as actions and conditions, with the MD, saving a lot of effort in maintenance and development, but is, again, tailored to the task in hand. It would be a very poor use of developer time to throw all that away in favour of something different, with all the issues and unknowns that would come with it, just because some people turn their noses up at it for being XML rather than a "proper" programming language.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 18:56

Most important for economy are more ware-sinks and more variation in between these. shipyard is not enough.
there needs to be some sink for low level products like food e.g. life-support that's still active if there isn't a higher level production demanding them.
e.g. Life support again:
energy + food + water -> 1/4 of the average price in credits.
If it's not running all but basic factories stop producing anything.
or some Luxury goods how knows 3d beamers or holodecks depending on the coin purse
removing some high-tech wares for a good price(at least average)
or daily life demand soap, dishes removing low level products for 1/2 average price. and this gives you an efficiency penalty
The bigger a station grows the stronger these sinks.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 02:05

capitalduty wrote: New X game wishlist!! write here features you need in next X game
ahem, hum... backport vulkan, 64-bit and multi-threading to x3ap..? *ducks*

Long live the nameless, body-less, voice-less pilot!

More seriously, although I didn't go for X-R I'm really curious to see what X4 can bring.

In the mean time, maxing out a mature piece of code like x3ap to allow for the mythical 480 sector galaxy map, much extended gate distances and mega-fleets to fully make use of many-core (12+) cpus would be pure bliss. I might even pay for that... But I understand it might imply a lot more work than my puny comprehension of close-to-the-metal programming can grasp.

One can dream in a thread with such a name :)

Cheers'
LPA

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 12:49

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:Most important for economy are more ware-sinks and more variation in between these. shipyard is not enough.
there needs to be some sink for low level products like food e.g. life-support that's still active if there isn't a higher level production demanding them.
e.g. Life support again:
energy + food + water -> 1/4 of the average price in credits.
If it's not running all but basic factories stop producing anything.
or some Luxury goods how knows 3d beamers or holodecks depending on the coin purse
removing some high-tech wares for a good price(at least average)
or daily life demand soap, dishes removing low level products for 1/2 average price. and this gives you an efficiency penalty
The bigger a station grows the stronger these sinks.
Yes, and a feedback loop for waste - which can be used as a product in recycling or agricultural stations (grass -> cattle -> beefsteaks -> poop -> grass), and we assume extra resources like water are required to make up for losses in recycling, and so we need some ore and water mining for all stations, and recycling fabs for those smaller stations that cannot manage it all themselves (eg outposts).

Criticalfungus
x4

Post by Criticalfungus » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 13:42

For features, just a thought

A ship based repair beam that just gets ships up and running quickly, but just enough to limp to a ship yard in a sensible time. With the suit based laser still there for those who would rather repair everything by hand, takes longer but can do a complete repair if you have the time.

Lost track of how long I spent in the early hours of a game in a suit transferring seta and trying to repair things, slows the pace down and when my hours of gaming are limited anyway, I'd rather not spend an evening repairing a ship.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”