Adding new Systems/Map Modding?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Aranov
x4

Adding new Systems/Map Modding?

Post by Aranov » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 06:16

Hello There,

With the hype over X4 I've found myself diving back in to X:R, and one thing I've found bothering me is the relatively small galaxy map.
Long story short, It feels like my empire has only DeVries to grow in, what with it being impossible to conquer more space, Albion is a war zone, etc.

Being as I've dabbled in editing the game files in the past I've thought I'd try to start adding new Systems.
Seeing as I can't find any info on Galaxy modding I've resorted to Trial-and-Error, and reverse engineering Transcend and the Home of Light DLC.

Good News is the prototype "works".
Bad News is it still has the layout of Transcend. I've found that when I edit the position offset of a Cluster it'll cause the (clean) save to crash when finished loading.

So since I'm unable to find any info on this, Would anyone out there have knowledge of Galaxy Modding?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 09:34

Observe's modding guide linked in the Tutorial and resources sticky has a section about universe editing and adding clusters (systems).
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 18:05

also get used to always let the game write a log when mod testing and when bad things happen consult it. For this add the Launch parameter

Code: Select all

-logfile debuglog.txt
to the XR startup Options. If you need more verbose info also add

Code: Select all

-debul all
- with the info in the Log file its usually far easier to track down what goes wrong.

My spontaneous assumption to your problem is that you copied the macro name but did not change it (macro name is an unique identfier for all "object" types, Zone/Sector/Cluster templates etc.)
Alternatively you changed the macro name but did not change the reference in the index files..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 19:27

Thank you for your responses,

Observe's guide really doesn't explain HOW, it just show WHERE to edit, when it comes to the galaxy map.

And I use so many mods I'm always running the debuglog, forgot to mention that the log had no info. And first thing I did was clean and rename everything in all the files I'm using.

BUT with refreshed eyes I found my issue!
In the clusters.xml file the offset/position reference for zones NEEDS to match or be within to confines of the offset/position reference of the Cluster.

I was just changing to Cluster. In retrospect it makes sense, but it wasn't explained anywhere so I just have to give it a try.
In the event run in to more issues I'll use this thread, but I think from here it's smooth sailing.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”