Bits of X3 in X Rebirth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tharrg
x4

Bits of X3 in X Rebirth

Post by Tharrg » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 15:35

I have just been giving X Rebirth another try. Much impressed by the improvements. However, from the perspective of a long time XBTF, X2, X3 player, it has now sunk in what is wrong with X Rebirth.

There is not enough X3 in X Rebirth.

What I mean is that X Rebirth has changed too much. There is nothing I find that I can point to and say "Yes, I remember, that's just like it was in X3".

You have the same races of course. But that's like linking two games because they both have caucasians and orientals in. Some places have the same name, (Albian, Home of Light, Omicron Lyrae). But names are not enough, you need some other link with the name so that it's not just cosmetic.

So my question is where in X Rebirth can you find bits of X3 preserved?

X4. An idea. Just read the bit in 'Farnham's Legend' where Elena and Nopileos enter the gate destroyed by the crew of the AP Gunner. Would be cool if we could do the same thing, and see the engraving.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 15:39

There was a reason why X Rebirth was not called X4 ;)
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: Bits of X3 in X Rebirth

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 17:13

Tharrg wrote:So my question is where in X Rebirth can you find bits of X3 preserved?
Quantum Tube Fab in the X3s and the QT production modules on X:R stations. :D
linolafett wrote:There was a reason why X Rebirth was not called X4 ;)
I'm afraid that strikes me as a cop-out - ultimately, just because it is not a "linear sequel" is no excuse for lack of continuity, and certainly not if names, races, historical background, and other elements ARE in fact shared - you can't have it both ways, you know... Sorry, but I'm simply calling it *exactly* as I see it... ;)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 19:16

RAVEN.myst wrote:
Tharrg wrote:So my question is where in X Rebirth can you find bits of X3 preserved?
Nope - they make completely different things. Q-tubes in X3 were relatively pointless secondary resources, which made very little difference to the economy. In contrast Q-tubes in XR are absolutely vital components (used in the production of fusion reactors, plasma flow regulators, podkletnov generators & many other things), without which no ships or stations could ever be built.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 20:57

GCU Grey Area wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:
Nope - they make completely different things. Q-tubes in X3 were relatively pointless secondary resources, which made very little difference to the economy. In contrast Q-tubes in XR are absolutely vital components (used in the production of fusion reactors, plasma flow regulators, podkletnov generators & many other things), without which no ships or stations could ever be built.
I was talking about it in VISUAL terms - they look similar, with their Y-shape - hence I referred to the FACTORY and the FACTORY MODULE, and not the ware itself, and finished up with a cheeky grin. Do you not think I could have mentioned something a bit more obvious and/or equivalent such as Spacefuel or ECells if I wanted to talk about wares??
Quit nit-picking.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 21:51

Keep it friendly and not about other posters please. Isn't this whole thread topic basically about minor (nit-picking) details of similarity between two entirely different games? :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 23:27

I think its about nitception, being picky about being picky, while being picky.

I'll the coat...

MFG

Ketraar

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 10. Aug 17, 02:10

Best buy and Best sell menus from X3, same as the Buy and Sell menus from X Rebirth, and this is a pet hate of mine since X2.

[Drama on]Why oh Lord you punish us so! Why you forsake us in this manner! is it because of profiiitss? Why not one menu to trade them all![/Drama]

Fair enough we have the Deals menu in X Rebirth now, but there is a certain satisfaction when you find a very profitable deal by matching supply and demand by yourself.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Fri, 11. Aug 17, 10:18

I've noticed that cattle farms also visually call back to x3 or possibly x2 roots (its all confused in my mind now)
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 11. Aug 17, 21:35

Sandalpocalypse wrote:I've noticed that cattle farms also visually call back to x3 or possibly x2 roots (its all confused in my mind now)
You've given me extra incentive to do a rerun of X2 that I've been meaning to for quite some time - thanks. :) I will pay particular attention to this particular station's interior (as I suspect that may be where the similarity lies) - I remember that in X:BtF the agricultural stations had suitably pastoral interiors, but oddly I can only really remember the interiors of mines and such in X2...
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 13:08

Hi,

I stumbled over an X3-solar power plant near one of the habitats in deVries. Is that what you mean by "Bits of X3"?

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 15:35

.. and you missed the old-style X3 ore mine also in DeVries?

Of course none of those hangover stations are still working in Rebirth. They are just meant to represent the obsolescence and general decay of elements of Canterran industry due to the unsupported isolation they suffered.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”