Here you go Phil :)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Here you go Phil :)

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 15:42

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 06:04

I just showed this game to Phil. The look on his face was a joy to behold. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 06:07

Loam? Is that the only thing they have to say about soil in terroir? Geez.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 23:21

philip_hughes wrote:Loam? Is that the only thing they have to say about soil in terroir? Geez.
You need to prepare yourself for this. Get comfortable. Perhaps, wait until you're alone and nobody can watch what you do with your pants...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =551869287

It's not on sale atm, but here it is:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313160

I'd take a look around, first, and ask some questions on the forums. I'm not sure what the latest release of the game is, but it seems to get shoveled out frequently. But, it's popular.

And, here's the thing - If a modder can do this, just think what the possibilities really could be...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 25. Sep 17, 03:01

Saw it- I like the idea, but ploughing/removal of stubble lowers pH.

Also, no till practices are becoming standard- turning the soil destroys beneficial microbes.

The nutrients- PK are phosphorous and potassium- technically 2.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 01:06

So...

You could always partner with fans/modders to help construct a realistic model to mod, right?

From what little I read about it, it's not necessarily easy to do in this game. I don't know that the devs planned that deeply.

You could always offer your services as a consultant, for a small fee. :)

That brings up a really wild question, though, and something that shows how pervasive "gaming" has become - Who would have thought that actual soil-sciences could become intimately connected with a video game?

Sure, economists have been adding their two coppers to all sorts of video games, even those that don't deal with "money", which isn't what economics is all about, anyway... But, now here's a simulation that directly deals with soil and it actually has room for deeper soil modeling. (Pardon the ironic pun)

Fascinating dynamic. :) We're on the way to "sim the world" in fairly short order.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 07:30

Indeed...

I am currently playing another game- model soils in SA.

They pay me money for that one.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 12:29

Morkonan wrote:Fascinating dynamic. :) We're on the way to "sim the world" in fairly short order.
One could argue we had that with Sim Life in 1992. In the, both literal and figurative, sandbox mode you'd start with what were basically dunes and had to crete soil by designing plants that could withstand the conditions, then evolve them to things that could start to use the developing soil as those plants - and any animals you could get to survive - decayed. I enjoyed playing the game, but wasn't quite old enough to have developed the patience for it.

Although there wasn't really much 'game' to it, I think it's a much overlooked and underrated title.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 00:06

philip_hughes wrote:Indeed...

I am currently playing another game- model soils in SA...
"SA?"

And, that brings up an interesting idea...

Translating "reality" to "computer" is a true discipline with several branches. Modeling, simulation, presentation, economics, etc.

In the future, perhaps one that's not too far away, how much would the impact of computer simulation effect professional disciplines that originally sprang up from serious investigation of... reality? Will there be conferences, famous arguments between professionals, headline-spanning "discoveries" of previously "unknown" and valuable secrets of the simulated world?
Rapier wrote:One could argue we had that with Sim Life in 1992..
A great game! I think I played SimEarth a bit more, though. I do remember "playing" the original, or graphical facsimile, of "Daisyworld", too. Oh, the beloved green-screens of yesteryear and marching "daisies" popping up all over the place... :)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 05:46

Morkonan wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Indeed...

I am currently playing another game- model soils in SA...
"SA?"

And, that brings up an interesting idea...

Translating "reality" to "computer" is a true discipline with several branches. Modeling, simulation, presentation, economics, etc.

In the future, perhaps one that's not too far away, how much would the impact of computer simulation effect professional disciplines that originally sprang up from serious investigation of... reality? Will there be conferences, famous arguments between professionals, headline-spanning "discoveries" of previously "unknown" and valuable secrets of the simulated world?
Rapier wrote:One could argue we had that with Sim Life in 1992..
A great game! I think I played SimEarth a bit more, though. I do remember "playing" the original, or graphical facsimile, of "Daisyworld", too. Oh, the beloved green-screens of yesteryear and marching "daisies" popping up all over the place... :)
SA= South Australia

Return to “Off Topic English”