An Australian Space Agency

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

An Australian Space Agency

Post by Usenko » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 15:23

I only just caught up with this - yesterday the Federal Government announced that finally Australia would have a Space Agency!

Realistically, we all know it will just be a desk in Canberra for a while, but even that is going to be a big deal for a lot of small struggling science, engineering and technology companies.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 16:38

You should buy the plans for the old Black Arrow programme from the UK and bring those babies back to operational capacity...it would be really funny to see some other country make use of the technology we just threw away!

(For those unsure of what I mean, the UK is the only country in the world that developed its own orbital launch capability--in this case, Black Arrow rockets from a launch site in Australia--and then gave it up, mainly because our politicians are so short sighted they couldn't see the taps if they were sitting in a bathtub).

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 22:31

YAY! More space-junk!

In looking around the 'net and questioning the "whys" it appears one reason is that already established sites (Woomera? <sp> (Military)) aren't ideal for more than LEO small satellites. IOW, for a demanding, full-service, commercial space-program, significant development is needed. And, while Australia has a huge amount of "nothing" to exploit in terms of falling rocket stages, more idea launch locations for this are relatively coastal, so spent stages fall nicely into the ocean, where the hydrazine can fertilize fish eggs and help the coral grow...

IOW - I guess there were some practical, commercial, needs that prohibited the extra expense of developing a "space program." To be honest, I think Australia can certainly take advantage of commercial opportunities, there. I don't think any expense in independent "manned" spaceflight is necessary, though. We certainly don't need spaceships that can support life coming from Australia! No Aussie-spiders or drop-bear armies in space, plskthx..

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 23:05

There's certainly no orbital mechanics reason why Woomera would be a worse launch site than Cape Canaveral--they're almost at the same latitude (albeit on opposite sides of the Equator). The perfect place would be to have your launch site actually *on* the Equator, of course, because you get the biggest boost from the Earth's rotation there.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 23:16

The Woomera issue may have to do with geosync orbits from Woomera take paths that would go over Sydney.

See Bruce Middleton's comment, here. Page-search "Woomera."

See here in regards to F-10 launch, though not expanded upon.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... n#Launches

I'm not very familiar with the site or Australia's needs for certain launches. I'll try to broaden that knowledge. But, it appears that the opinions held at that time where that it was not a suitable full-service launch site.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 23:39

A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 23:44

I guffawed... If I had any pets to disturb from their nap, I would have done so. :)

PS - Not Australia - No spiders, sharks or drop-bears. Though, if there was sound, the susurrus of background screaming may have confirmed an Aussie launch.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 02:29

At the moment, the big thing is that we have a large number of tech companies in the Space industry, and right now they are basically forced to go to America. The actual objective here (if I may be cynical) is to slow down the brain-drain . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 04:23

It didn't take long. Aussies being what we are, some citizens have already put together a comprehensive website. . . .

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 06:55

Usenko wrote:It didn't take long. Aussies being what we are, some citizens have already put together a comprehensive website. . . .
That put a smile on my face on this depressing morning!
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 17:03

@red assassin
semms they have the best position to get into space actually :D

Usenko wrote:It didn't take long. Aussies being what we are, some citizens have already put together a comprehensive website. . . .
i hope that name wont bite them back in the arse :D (just for pun :P)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Return to “Off Topic English”