[4.21] View distance reduction on platforms and capships

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CalaveraLoco

[4.21] View distance reduction on platforms and capships

Post by CalaveraLoco » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 13:32

Is it possible to crank up the view distance while on a platform/capital ship?

It seems that the view distance is deliberately reduced while in 'platform mode'.
To around 3k for objects. And it's invariant to changes to the viewdistance and lod_distance settingins in the config.xml. (while the normal cockpit view is affected by them and helps tremendously with finding outlying stations)

Only the most immediate objects are visible, and even those pop in and out counterintuitively. By that I mean, certain objects(or parts of a station) that are on the 3k mean margin are only visible if I don't look at them directly but look in another direction with my head (yet I can see them pop in from the corner of my eye).

(smaller details like ad signs seem to disappear before the 3k mark... which leads me to believe that the view distance (the whole range of lods) is somehow scaled down.)

Probably this is an optimization step, but can you make it a setting or anyone point me in the right direction to make a mod for this?

Yesterday I checked out modding and found a renderparam_library.xml as a good starting point, but it's effects on the platform view distance are one way only. So by modding that file I could only reduce the view distance further but not extend it.

I also installed capital ship bridge mod and oh my god, would it be one of the best VR experience to stand on that bridge leading my empire and take in the awesome graphics.

Reprisal
x4

Post by Reprisal » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 13:15

Honestly I think they overdid the VR optimizations. I think my PC could probably run the original game in VR quite well.

Boeng01
x4

Post by Boeng01 » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 14:39

I also mentioned in some other threads the same oppinion. Trying out the X-R Vanilla Recall Collection [Update 2017-09-11]

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395702

shows that my System is without any problem able to render even the crowdiest zones of the vanilla galaxy without beeing to slow to enjoy in VR.

That doesn't mean i want the Devs to bring in the vanilla Galaxy again, but to leave the decission to the player how much of an graphical experience their systems can deliver. Especially the view distance - while in space and also beeing docked - should be much more adjustable in my oppinion.

CalaveraLoco

Post by CalaveraLoco » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 17:19

I know there may be bigger bugs to fry right now for the dev team.
But I came to the conclusion that this view distance problem is a bug as well.

I made a video to demonstrate and question if this is working as intended.

https://youtu.be/czBYzX4eWfA

(I know ugly 360p but hey.. there isn't much to see to begin with even though there is a mega station next to me.
:) )

Details : Oculus Rift, plying in Oculus mode latest Oculus version, Nvidia 1080, driver 385.41. Bridge mod enabled for easier demonstration, but it looks the same without it.

Boeng01
x4

Post by Boeng01 » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 23:46

Would like to sign this. Would also absolutely enjoy the view out of that Bridge, or just unmodded from a landing platform. Since this behaviour is the same even on platforms on stations, which really breaks the illusion for me in this moments which is quite sad, since like said before, it would be a great VR experience just standing in front of that bridge, staring at the universe.
Intel Core I9 9900k @ 5GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator @ 3.6GHz CL15
ASUS WS Z390 pro
ASUS ROG Strix 2080ti

Samsung C49RG9 49" 32:9 - 5120x1440
Oculus Rift + Touch 3 Sensor Setup

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”