Orfevs
x3tc

Steam VR keeps waiting. Can't play.

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 13:53

HTC Vive.
Win7 x64 16Gb
i7@4Ghz
NV Gtz 970 - v385.69

Game loads, menu shows up on flatscreen, and keyboard works.
Music plays.

However, the HMD keeps waiting, but once in a while the menu appears briefly and disappears again. Until everything goes black.

Starting a new game from outside (tutorial) the game plays the narrative, but menu remains on flatscreen. HMD still waiting.

This is a fresh install. Also did a clean install of nvidia drivers.
So what's the problem?

ED: Result is the same whether it's Steam VR beta or not.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 23:57

Reinstalling Vive software did nothing.
So that's gone once again.

Guess it's time for a refund.
TCAN TC/AP Artificial Life, Menudriven Automated Ship/Station Namer
Spex: i7 4790K@4Ghz 16Gb DDR3 GTX970Strix(4Gb)
X:R 454 Hours. 15 hours unmodded.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 02:39

This might be way off beam here but the Vive has a proximity sensor (between the two lenses at the top) that indicates if the Vive is on your head or not. XRVR is one of the very few games that makes use of this sensor to determine whether or not to display the game on your headset or allow you to play on your monitor. Is it possible there is something wrong with this sensor on your vive?

One way to check this is to fire up steam VR (Don't play any game) Make sure that you see something in the headset (ie HMD screen is on). Take headset off and place it somewhere where you can see the lenses. After a little while (30 seconds) the lenses should turn off. Without moving the headset, put your hand near the top of the lenses where the foam would meet your forehead. If the lenses turn on, then your proximity sensor is fine and I'm out of ideas (at least crazy ones like this :) ). If it doesn't turn on then maybe XRVR is not detecting that you are wearing your headset.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 08:59

I've had this issue before with another game, but it works normally otherwise. At the time, the culprit was Steam VR.

Sensor checks out ok. There seems to be nothing wrong with my headset.
Software should be up to date all across the board.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 13:15

I've refunded XRVR. Not really interested in paying to work for any game company in any manner. So there's really no point in continuing this thread, but the issue needs to be addressed nonetheless.

As I've mentioned, it's happened before, and the issue was Steam VR. Might just be some kind of lack of communication between the game and Steam.

Or there's something stupidly wrong with my system.
I got a hybrid SSD/Raptor Win7x64 setup where I've manually altered ACL's and made junctions to user and temporary folders on the magnetic drive on system level while the rest remains on the SSD. Could be a number of isseus stemming from this, because Windows don't like it when I do that. Then again, I don't like Windows, so we're even :P

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”