The "Siberian Curse"

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 23:50

We can conceptualize it, but we can't yet "do" the concepts, yet. For instance, carbon-nanotube stuffs is very expensive and there is no large-scale production capability for that. We also have to figure out new zero-low g production methods if we're going to have production in space. Current most popular and cheap methods are vapor deposition, though other methods have been proposed. Obviously, vapor deposition would probably not be a suitable low-g method. It "might", but I don't know yet. Plus, it requires other complex products.

What do we have to work with? Materials commonly found in asteroids, perhaps on Mercury, with a very limited amount of materials made on Earth or in LEO - Those are what we have. Can we adapt making these materials to Low-G environments - For materials of construction, that's what we can do. After that, it's a matter of putting the two together to create something useable - That's what we can make. And, after that, it's about automating some sort of replication process - That's what we can automate.

I do think we could do something. But, what that is will probably not be able to include things we have't yet figured out how to do on Earth. But, space flight is a big tech motivator, so it's possible it could inspire some innovation and new tech. That's not really predictable, though.

How do we start learning how to do this?

We have to answer that question. I think we could start by building a small-scale robot "swarm", which is something we are already doing, and then figuring out how to get them to assemble other swarm robots, which is something that I think, IIRC, has already been done. So, we take that a step further and get them to assemble something out of "raw" materials and move on from there.

After all, if it's automated, at least without constant human supervision, we have to figure out how to code it. I don't think one python script is gonna work... It would have to be some super-duper exploration satellite sort of thingie, capable of making "decisions" on its own, without a lot of human input.

Xenon?

:)

Of course, we'd have to act to prevent the "Infinite Paperclips" problem, since we don't want the entire solar system converted in to Dyson Swarm vehicles.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 13:35

I too watched the beginning of this series, it and the presenter are both excellent; he did a similar series about South America, which was very good. He also raised the issue of global warming and the defrosting of the permafrost, which will result in the release of an awful lot of Methane etc, further accelerating the warming. Of course there are those who believe Global warming, is just a part of a natural cycle and nothing at all to do with us humans... Venus in no way represents our future. :roll:
Morkonan wrote: Of course, we'd have to act to prevent the "Infinite Paperclips" problem, since we don't want the entire solar system converted in to Dyson Swarm vehicles.
That brought to mind an old sci fi series, ( which was at times very odd, ) called Lexx and the Mantrid Drones. I seem to remember, that even though it was very odd at times, I enjoyed the series. Perhaps because it was usually on late at night and some alcohol had been consumed. Maybe I will revisit the series and buy it from Amazon... :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 18:43

greypanther wrote:That brought to mind an old sci fi series, ( which was at times very odd, ) called Lexx and the Mantrid Drones. I seem to remember, that even though it was very odd at times, I enjoyed the series. Perhaps because it was usually on late at night and some alcohol had been consumed. Maybe I will revisit the series and buy it from Amazon... :)
I liked Lexx. It was "fun" and weird, so it was perfect for late-night sci-fi. :)

Chips
x4

Re: The "Siberian Curse"

Post by Chips » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 01:11

RegisterMe wrote:I'm watching a programme called "Russia With Simon Reeve", a chap who basically does travelogues. Needless to say this one is about Russia. The series starts in the East and will head west.

One interesting comment just made was about what is known as "the Siberian curse". In other words the cost of maintaining communities in the remote east is prohibitive, regardless of the mineral, agricultural or strategic benefits that accrue.

Which I find interesting, because I wonder what it says about a Moonbase, or Elon Musk's plans for Mars?
Thanks for the heads up, not watched it yet - but he's been great in several series about several countries (did one on dictators too).

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 09:25

This Siberian Curse, is it just about the cost of maintaining equivalent technology communities in such remote areas?

Because I'm pretty sure there were people living in Siberia and other remote places before we had cars, electricity and stuff.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 21:54

mrbadger wrote:This Siberian Curse, is it just about the cost of maintaining equivalent technology communities in such remote areas?

Because I'm pretty sure there were people living in Siberia and other remote places before we had cars, electricity and stuff.
As I understand it, it's the cost of exploitation as a barrier. That initial, up-front, cost of supporting industrial exploitation of resources is seen as prohibitive. Such large-scale operations need much more support than simple residential developments. They have to have special equipment to cope with the extreme temperatures, develop new techniques to cope with things like permafrost and such. A normal bulldozer might last a couple of minutes before its crankcase explodes or something. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”