Sectors: An idea taken from eve online

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

wolvern
xr

Sectors: An idea taken from eve online

Post by wolvern » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 00:04

Eve online had a great feature for protecting sectors where they had inhibitors for jumping so that only your ships could enter a sector with jumping and otherwise would need the gates except for the largest battleships which needed to jump because they were too big for gates.

They talk about sector control for X4 and this would be an amazing way to deal with it, where in order to assault a sector with a large ship, you'd need to first jump it through open areas of space that had open control of jump beacons (neutral sectors).

Breakdown of taking a sector:
1. First assault with small ships to take down the control hub for the jump beacon
2. destroy the inhibitor
3. Create and protect a jump beacon / even hacking the old one would do
4. Jump in large fleet to take out the rest of the sector and control it
---
Now due to the inhibitor being gone, this would also allow others to use this jump point to get into the sector with their war ships if they are in range to do such, as with the old X games, you could only jump a few sectors at a time, i think it was like 8 or so usually... This would limit the ability to anyone to move ships in and would require them being ready to do so in order to really take advantage of such opening.

This would mean that during your own takeover and building of an inhibitor, you'd need a defence squad to make sure that for the time it's defenceless to such opening, you'd need to really try and keep it as much as possible. This could also lead to MASSIVE battles due to many ships deciding to use it at once and you end up jumping in with a swarm of missiles coming at you.

If you add in the mechanic of no shields for 5-20 seconds when a ship jumps in, this could add a tonne of suspense as you could be jumping ships directly into their death when you have 5-10 cap ships turn up at the same time or while you're spinning up your drive. Also would be good to have ability to time such jumps so your cap ships are ready to jump on command but you'd only have 5 mins to get them in if such was ordered before the jump drive burns out and thus the ship needs to repair for 10 mins leaving the sector open to attack easily.

I could only think of all the BSG type moments that'd happen with this tho.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 10:23

In the second Livestream, it was revealed that there won't be a jumpdrive in X4.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 10:25

You do realize that EVE is a MASSIVE MMOG where you have to have such long and convoluded mechanics for people on the attacked side to have time to log in and react?

X4 is a singleplayer game and here such mechanics will be nice at first but then become too boring and long (same like XR boarding)?

Better stick to what we know that work:
- destroy stations
- destroy enemy ships (optional for point 3)
- put your station to takeove the sector
- defend your sector

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 13:27

mr.WHO wrote:You do realize that EVE is a MASSIVE MMOG where you have to have such long and convoluded mechanics for people on the attacked side to have time to log in and react?
In X4 you have the AI that needs time to react... so no real difference there.
If taking over sectors in X4 is a walk in the park then it will definitely be boring. XR boarding is boring because you can easily pick a ship apart piece by piece by yourself making it unable to do anything before proceeding to board it.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 03:01

X2-Illuminatus wrote:In the second Livestream, it was revealed that there won't be a jumpdrive in X4.
I suspect that the whole point of this suggestion is as an alternative approach for "balancing" the jumpdrive, as opposed to its (tragic, in my opinion) removal altogether...
Overall, I like this idea.
mr.WHO wrote:Better stick to what we know that work
Well, if this principle were to be applied, we would be getting an upgraded X3... ;)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 08:08

Killjaeden wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:You do realize that EVE is a MASSIVE MMOG where you have to have such long and convoluded mechanics for people on the attacked side to have time to log in and react?
In X4 you have the AI that needs time to react... so no real difference there.
AI needing time to react could be comparable to Eve players that are online needing time to react. It's not comparable to people offline doing stuff that prevents logging in...

wolvern
xr

Post by wolvern » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 15:49

RAVEN.myst wrote:
X2-Illuminatus wrote:In the second Livestream, it was revealed that there won't be a jumpdrive in X4.
I suspect that the whole point of this suggestion is as an alternative approach for "balancing" the jumpdrive, as opposed to its (tragic, in my opinion) removal altogether...
Overall, I like this idea.
mr.WHO wrote:Better stick to what we know that work
Well, if this principle were to be applied, we would be getting an upgraded X3... ;)
Removing the jump drive from a cap ship in a universe that has used the jump drive for SO LONG... is somewhat stupid, what happened? did they forget the technology exists, did they lose it somewhere, did all the cap ships that had them blow up or fly into the sun....

We can agree that removing a component from the game altogether that's been there all along is crap and terrible as a balancing idea, I'd rather them take the shameful excuse for an AI out and replace it with something that actually works... instead of it banging against the gates until they self destruct... because frankly, that's likely what's going to happen again...

You remove the jump drive and walla, all these ships will start trying to run into each other just to get into one spot, they never figured out the OLD freelancer ideal of making them queue and instead make them flounder all over the place up and down trying to smash into each other without any clue they're doing it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 17:09

Please note that here is very active and lengthy discussion about jumpdrives in X4 in the Twitch Feedback thread starting here and continuing pretty much to date. It includes detailed comments on the decision from a dev.

There is no need for a repeat performance of all that here in a thread that was supposed to be about sector strategy and tactics.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”