Player acting as hired crew

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 06:02

Crellion wrote:NPC Boss: Why should I hire YOU to fly my Destroyer?

Me: I can strafe biaaaaatch :P
XD

Although my two cents:
This could also be used as one of the starts, initially (by that I mean the first 5 minutes) working as a gunner on some capital ship, patrolling through pirate space, getting attacked+blown up and space walking to some nearby abandoned pirate fighter?
Ex-Military start of some kind, would probably be great as a pirate focused start. (flying in a pirate ship thus recognized as a pirate)
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 17:02

The ultimate lategame purpose of this, as I had indicated earlier with the idea, is that as you gain reputation within your organization, you gain more and more authority and ability to make higher level decisions (ie you are told to invade a sector, but all the ships that have been put under your command are under your direct control), with you eventually being able to become the head of the organization (race or corporation).

Initially you may just be a turret gunner, but then you are made a pilot of a ship (following directions of squadron leader), then you become squadron leader of several ships (following direction of fleet commander), then you become a fleet commander (following direction of president who orders large scale directives), then you could eventually become president, who has complete freedom to order everything. This would of course only happen after very long time though.

dctrjons
x4

Post by dctrjons » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 13:56

Crellion wrote:NPC Boss: Why should I hire YOU to fly my Destroyer?

Me: I can strafe biaaaaatch :P
Lol been too long since X3, took me a few seconds. May they never learn.

I also question the late....well heck the way these games can go, late game can be 95% of the game....so yeah initially sounds useless. But as a limited mechanic to build rep that you can cash in to "move" or influence a faction....interesting. I can kind of think of an example.

May have been Xtended mod...but I made myself an advocate for Boron and Terran dominance, supporting their economies and setting my stations, trade routes accordingly. Problem is part of Boron space was getting wrecked by Kayaks(yeah i know) and pirates but they wouldn't mobilize enough firepower...they had it. I tried to supplement but it was NOT convenient. IF i could have made suggestions for them to watch the area better....dunno it would have been cool. Cool if they did it themselves...yes...but the option to influence...not necessarily direct....directly, sounds appealing. Kind of a gameplay universe immersive reason to suppliment imperfect AI.

Plus...well if you want to roleplay a long game faction infiltration....hehehe.

wolvern
xr

Post by wolvern » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 14:54

So basically you want a version of the game like euro truck simulator where you work using quick missions on random ships until you can earn your own and start getting more trucks and bases to work out of making your own company of truckers and as such get passive income from these truckers instead of from the stations themselves...

Basically the stations you'd be running from would be called trade stations / warehouses... they make no wares, just store them as deliveries that come in for you to take out.

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 18:15

wolvern wrote:So basically you want a version of the game like euro truck simulator where you work using quick missions on random ships until you can earn your own and start getting more trucks and bases to work out of making your own company of truckers and as such get passive income from these truckers instead of from the stations themselves...

Basically the stations you'd be running from would be called trade stations / warehouses... they make no wares, just store them as deliveries that come in for you to take out.
Doesn't that pretty much sum up every X3:AP play through that doesn't involve Stock Exchange shenanigans?
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 19:47

Mount and Blade Warband had some mods that allowed you to be a soldier in another lords army (normally you would lead an army). It was fun to fight as peasant. But sometimes you would simply have to wait for 30-45min at maximum time acceleration, until at least something of interest happened.
What you propose requires very detailed and engaging game mechanics for all the different jobs to be interesting (what SC is trying to do).
When you just push a button to activate autopilot and then click on time acceleration until it's complete then it's extremely boring for the majority of time - in short an extremely gimmicky feature.
Doesn't that pretty much sum up every X3:AP play through that doesn't involve Stock Exchange shenanigans?
What the OP mentions, i would say that X3:Reunion gameplay sums it up prettymuch. -> no overpowered mission payout of TC. Earning your first Trader or even M3 was pretty time consuming (when starting with M4).

If you want to earn your ship you could as well just say that the ship you fly is rented and whatever you earn flying it flows as percentage into the coffers of whoever gave it to you, to pay for the ship + extras. The base concept in a nut shell is that you start in debt instead of in the positive/ as free creature.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X4: Foundations”