Is having your own shipyard really a good idea?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should shipyards be able to be player owned?

Yes, why not i want to make my fleet and cut the middleman out
89%
No, id prefer to buy ships the old fashioned way as having a player owned shipyard is too OP for the player
4%
Not fussed tbh
7%

Total votes: 207

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 10:51

RainerPrem wrote: But that's reality. Look at the Hubble photos. But I agree that sometimes it's too bright. There should be an automatic adaptor.
Only if your eyes are several meters in diameter with long exposure and filtered sunglasses :) In reality the colours will look to your eyes very washed out and lacking in resolution, some colour yes but unless your close to the object they will be subtle colours.

Stations I think suit the bright and colorful pallet, the sky boxes could do with toning down a bit... I think ES showed us a colour saturation slider on the last stream which should help.

We went a bit OT there but still a useful discussion to have.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 12:45

BigBANGtheory wrote:... I think ES showed us a colour saturation slider on the last stream which should help.
Ooo, now that sounds good! People who like space in primary colours can still have it that way, while those of us who prefer a dark foreboding void of space... can ALSO have it how we prefer it! :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

wolvern
xr

Post by wolvern » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 15:06

OMG YES

nearly all votes are saying yes... why did it take soo long for this to happen without mods? if i'm going to own an empire why can't i have a shipyard that is on call just for me. I hope they allow us to lock it down or allow me to make a queue of ships instead of call them every time i need a ship?

Like damn, can they also add an option to supply replacement ships to stations that i own so when a transport gets destroyed they start building a replacement if i tell them it's alright to?

Can i make my ships respond to crisis and clear / patrol more than one sector so that my shipping lanes are safe?

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 17:14

wolvern wrote:why did it take soo long for this to happen without mods
What's the deal ? It's in since X3 !
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 04:37

Crimsonraziel wrote:
wolvern wrote:why did it take soo long for this to happen without mods
What's the deal ? It's in since X3 !
But not the ability to build one. That's what I'm looking forward to.
Agree the station should be something to work towards later in the game but not an end game reward. It should be many times more expensive than any other station, and ship blueprints could be rewards for missions, or the result of extensive exploration, like a scavenger hunt.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 04:49

PHQ will have its own plot. I don't think it will be hard to get because i think it will be key to the research system. May have lots of upgrade stages though.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

kidfusion3000

Post by kidfusion3000 » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 14:25

this is basically why I had the HQ in X3 TC and AP, I reverse engineered ships that couldn't be bought and manufactured my own. I suggest EGO keep it that way because I don't care for manufacturing my own fleet when I can buy fighters by the dozen as in X3. The hassle of supply lines was hard enough for small scale manufacturing. However, making some ships unobtainable without this mechanic adds purpose to gameplay, I had a wing of hyperion vanguards. the only way to do that was to build or board and I try to keep relations civil. I only stole the first one.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 15:12

I also hope they make it like the PHQ in X3TC.

Your shipyard could come with one blueprint for one ship (one of the small ships, I think it was the Buster).
To be able to build the others, you had to get one from an npc shipyard first and then re-engineer at your HQ it to get it's blueprint.
When you have the blueprint, you can build it yourself.

Since they are gonna make station-building the same (scan existing npc modules to get their blueprint so you can build those modules yourself as well), I think shipyards will work the same way.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

wolvern
xr

Post by wolvern » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 15:24

PowerPC603 wrote: Since they are gonna make station-building the same (scan existing npc modules to get their blueprint so you can build those modules yourself as well), I think shipyards will work the same way.
Scanning new modules just seems a pain in the ass, every station has somewhat standard modules they use for making items, i'd highly suggest that they actually make such modules upgradable or even make the placement of them give different bonus compared on where you put them so production would increase or decrease based on where you put things.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 10. Oct 17, 15:34

wolvern wrote:... i'd highly suggest that they [...] make the placement of them give different bonus compared on where you put them so production would increase or decrease based on where you put things.
Mmm, I'm reminded of Supreme Commander (and I'm sure there have been other titles that have used simialr mechanics), where placing certain structures next to each other enhances certain aspects - I like.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Dyloxide
x4

Post by Dyloxide » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 21:53

I wonder if they are going to have multiple versions of shipyards, something along the lines of small/large/XL shipyards. So you don't have shipyards that can build every ship of every caliber.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 01:17

that's how it worked in XR, but i've only seen large shipyard gantries and not M-size ship factories in the videos thus far.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 16:49

Sandalpocalypse wrote:that's how it worked in XR, but i've only seen large shipyard gantries and not M-size ship factories in the videos thus far.
Well, M-size factories could be significantly smaller, just like in XR (at least the Albion ones, the OL one was huge).

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Sun, 29. Oct 17, 11:31

Of course it is a great idea.... when you are at war with the entire galaxy because you want to create your own Empire you need to be able to build up your own ships/fleet by your own.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sun, 29. Oct 17, 18:59

I don't understand the complaint about shipyards being overpowering. The x3 PHQ could only earn a profit selling M5 & low end M4 ships. Anything larger cost more to build than to buy. Also it was much faster to earn the ₵redits to buy a ship than build your own.
This is only a virtual reality.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 30. Oct 17, 20:38

If nothing else, as a long term endgame goal, among many others to keep players interested in the long run.

Return to “X4: Foundations”