Gaming Gambling

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you play a game that has a 'lootbox' system?

Yes, it doesn't bother me at all
No votes
Yes, as long as it purely cosmetic items with no gameplay impact
25%
Yes, as long as the rest of the game is good
4%
No, unless its free-to-play
21%
No, not at all
46%
Cheese on undecided toast
4%

Total votes: 28

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 09:04

Today's Ctrl-Alt-Del sums it up pretty well:

http://cad-comic.com/comic/a-handy-chart/
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 11:33

CBJ wrote: You don't generally go and buy an few extra packets of cornflakes just to see if you can get the right item!
Obviously you don't remember the 70's that well. That's what used to happen - some people used to do this (probably the same sort of people who buy 100 lootboxes) - it was not as easy to buy 100 packets of cornflakes as to buy 100 virtual lookboxes. All I'm saying it's not a new technique - just a new way of doing it.

Gambling is too easy to access nowadays - once you had to venture into a strange smoke filled shop with balcked out windows full of strange people and now you can do it on your phone from the comfort of home.
Last edited by Redvers Ganderpoke on Fri, 13. Oct 17, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
A flower?

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 11:38

CBJ wrote: You don't generally go and buy an few extra packets of cornflakes just to see if you can get the right item!
"But you don't even LIKE shreddies!"
"But mummy, I will eat them this time! I PROMISE!!!"

Never eaten Shreddies in my life...
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 13:11

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Obviously you don't remember the 70's that well. That's what used to happen - some people used to do this (probably the same sort of people who buy 100 lootboxes) - it was not as easy to buy 100 packets of cornflakes as to buy 100 virtual lookboxes. All I'm saying it's not a new technique - just a new way of doing it.
I remember them all too well, thanks! My point is that there's a big difference between buying a packet (or even 3 packets) of cornflakes, in which case you get cornflakes for your money regardless of whether you get the toy you want, and buying an otherwise-worthless chance of some item. The former is self-limiting, in that even the most persistent child is going to struggle to persuade their parent to buy 10 or 100 boxes, whereas the latter has a smooth path from buying 1 or 2, through 5 or 10, to a serious habit.
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Gambling is too easy to access nowadays - once you had to venture into a strange smoke filled shop with balcked out windows full of strange people and now you can do it on your phone from the comfort of home.
On this we can agree.

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 14:10

Yes, as long as it purely cosmetic items with no gameplay impact in a Free-to-Play Game would be my Vote. "lootboxes which changes the gameplay inside a f2p are a no go for me. ... seems my personal opinion can't be covered in this votum-

Personally i still would just buy the skin instead. for the "yearly payment" for that game which i plays on and off over weeks per year.
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 15:02

we got tokens and had to send off for the oil rig, it wasn't in the box. the tokens were on every box, there was no gambling.

And I had to wait until we ate each box before I got my next token. I think my Nan bought some boxes too to speed it up.

It made getting my oil rig even more enjoyable, which would be why I still recall it nearly 40 years later.

It was my favorite model for many years.

The thing of having random toys inside the box came after that, probably when they realised what as great selling point it was I think.

We didn't have the money to do that, but by then I'd moved on to Blue Peter make your own toy stuff. The free toys in the cereal boxes were all rubbish anyway.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 17:08

Didn't they stop doing the free small cheep useless toys in cereals, because some people were choking on them. I suppose you could say that some people are choking on these loot boxes too.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 21:16

I think so, because they wouldn't put decent sized toys in there. At least the ones you sent off for were a decent size.

But more viable too, since not everyone would have, and you didn't need one per box.

I've never played a game with Loot boxes, because I never would, so I don't actually know much about how often you get good stuff from one, other than apparently not often unless you pay.

I still haven't played Diablo 3 because they put that 'pay to win' store in it so I decided against buying it when it came out as a result, and even though the store's gone now, still haven't got it.

We're at the point where I probably won't until it's dirt cheap now, if I ever bother, I may just never play it. That's what the loot box mindset of developers does to me.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:43

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Obviously you don't remember the 70's that well. That's what used to happen - some people used to do this (probably the same sort of people who buy 100 lootboxes) - it was not as easy to buy 100 packets of cornflakes as to buy 100 virtual lookboxes. All I'm saying it's not a new technique - just a new way of doing it.
I have memories of shoving my hand down to the bottom of the box, flakes spilling out all over the place, fishing around for that little plastic packet that would yield cereal-box gold...

Then, I figured out I could just dump it all in a big bowl. But, getting it all back in the box...

Every darn cereal box that had a prize in it ended up looking like a three-dollar hooker on a late Saturday night.
mrbadger wrote:....I still haven't played Diablo 3 because they put that 'pay to win' store in it so I decided against buying it when it came out as a result, and even though the store's gone now, still haven't got it....
I got the Special Limited Uber Collector's Edition on release day... The "Store" was a game-killer, to be sure. It didn't matter what dropped for you, the only thing you were playing for was so you could buy what you wanted, with in-game currency, from the "store." Later, they introduced the "real money" store and that was just friggin ridiculous...

But, now, with all that gone? It's a darn good game. I play it regularly with a friend of mine. (Had to buy an XBox and copy of it, but at least we have a lot of fun several times a week, so it's worth it. Don't even play the PC version anymore.)

It's worth playing and it's a good game. We've been having a blast with the latest "Season", which will end Oct 20. "Seasonal" play, a period of 90 days or so, let's you create a brand new character from scratch, if you want, with no frills and then see how far you can get, with special rewards, gear, and a lot of vanity items up for grabs. Anyway, if you like Diablo and/or like "action RPG" it's a great game, much, much better than it was on release.

When they realized their error, they truly did "fix" it and, considering the content polishing and community involvement they've done, they've "apologized" for it. :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 02:50

mrbadger wrote: I've never played a game with Loot boxes, because I never would, so I don't actually know much about how often you get good stuff from one, other than apparently not often unless you pay.
I don't think paying for the lootbox changes the chances of getting anything good from it--that would be the scummiest of scummy moves, so it'll probably be a few months before even EA decides to give it a go. Buying more lootboxes increases your chances of getting something good simply because you're getting more boxes, though.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 14:06

Buying more lottery tickets raises your chance of winning something, but it doesn't mean that something is going to be worth a large amount. This is where the gambling comes in on the loot boxes.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”