Another paper

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Another paper

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 11. Oct 17, 11:54

Revisions for my next paper are complete. Submitting tomorrow. Should be sorted by January.

That's number 4.

Another one is on my desk top, finishing the revisions of that one.

Number 5 is pretty much in the bag.

Number 6 is still getting reviewed. Should get through but you never know.

This latest paper was described by my supervisor as the best paper he had ever participated in- my other supervisor said he was honored to be a part of it.

I seriously don't know what to say.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 11. Oct 17, 18:23

good good. Are you first name on any of these?

I just had a paper rejected :evil:

But it was my fault. All of the reviewers loved it, but the main criticism from every single one (there were four) was that my data was too old. It was too late for that sort of mistake to be corrected, so I was rejected.

It was a paper on pedagogy, based on one of my modules, and I wondered when I was writing it if I should use data from the most recent run. But I was in a hurry and didn't. So my fault entirely.

Still, I'm running the module again now, so I'll collect new data, and compare it to data from every previous run.

Then if they reject it I'll just hack the conferences twitter feed with screenshots from the emoji movie or something.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Another paper

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 11. Oct 17, 22:00

philip_hughes wrote:...I seriously don't know what to say.
A verified qualification on your resume': "One-man grant-farm." :)

I'm not sure how esoteric your discipline is. To be honest, "dirt" has been around for a long time and I imagine a lot of people have studied it. :) But, if it's rising in interest or new approaches or related issues have breached the surface, you could be in for a tidal-wave full of opportunities.
mrbadger wrote:...Then if they reject it I'll just hack the conferences twitter feed with screenshots from the emoji movie or something.
Write a paper on security issues, hack the feed with links to it - Instant overnight notoriety! ("Notoriety" with a wide selection of definitions...)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 12. Oct 17, 08:30

mrbadger wrote:good good. Are you first name on any of these?

I just had a paper rejected :evil:

But it was my fault. All of the reviewers loved it, but the main criticism from every single one (there were four) was that my data was too old. It was too late for that sort of mistake to be corrected, so I was rejected.

It was a paper on pedagogy, based on one of my modules, and I wondered when I was writing it if I should use data from the most recent run. But I was in a hurry and didn't. So my fault entirely.

Still, I'm running the module again now, so I'll collect new data, and compare it to data from every previous run.

Then if they reject it I'll just hack the conferences twitter feed with screenshots from the emoji movie or something.
rename, submit to a different journal, rinse, repeat.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 12. Oct 17, 17:48

my co-author said that, but the criticisms were valid, and mirrored my own pre-submission thoughts exactly, so no, it's re-write then re-submit only, or I'll not be happy.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 01:36

mrbadger wrote:my co-author said that, but the criticisms were valid, and mirrored my own pre-submission thoughts exactly, so no, it's re-write then re-submit only, or I'll not be happy.
I suppose you have to be comfortable with it.

What I found is that you and only you know where the bear traps are in your research. Just because you are aware of the flaws does not mean the stuff isn't worthy of publication.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 10:43

I showed my thesis to one of our Ph.D students last week, to give him some idea of what a finished thesis looked like.

While I personally hate the thing (I rarely use that word, but it was so stressful completing it I can hardly bring myself to look at it now). He found it interesting, and rekindled my interest in resuming the research I had dropped on completing it, due to a lack of funding and resources. He asked me if I was ever going to carry on with it.

No-one else has continued it, since it's complicated, my data structures are non trivial.
This may be why my work has been cited, but not duplicated.

Also they would now would need to be converted to ones amenable to distributed computation, which I have the resources to do now. So when I find time, I'm going to start.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 15:08

That's what phd students are for! Now I'm done, i have been introduced to the giant phd puppy farm. I have ideas and the ability to convince bakers to part with cash. In return, my supervisor frees up researchers to pursue my ideas and help with the wiring of papers. With this system in place it is child's play to churn out over 5 papers a year.

Return to “Off Topic English”