Something that was better than you thought it would be.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Something that was better than you thought it would be.

Post by clakclak » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 12:33

Let me begin with a little story. Over the last couple weeks my younger (adult) brother has been recommending a piece of narrative fiction to me. However going just by his summeries I assumed I would not like it. What than promted me to still give it a try was the knowladge that in the past the two of had a shared taste for TV shows and novals. Right now I am am almost halfway through.....the story has ruffly 1.7 Million words which is about as long as all Harry Potter novels combined. Needless to say, I LOVE it. It is brilliant and the thought that I almost missed out on it really gave me a new urge to try things I may at first not like. If anyone is interested the story is a web serial (and interesting emerging form of literature) by John McCrae, called Worm. He is currently in the process of editing it before it gets a commercial release. You can read the entire thing for free over at: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/ (There you can also find a summery.)

So anyone here with similar stories? How did it turn out?
Last edited by clakclak on Thu, 19. Oct 17, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 16:10

Was flipping channels the other night and came across a movie called "Freaks of Nature." To sum: A teenager, a vampire, and a zombie walk into an alien invasion...

On the little rating star thingie, and I don't know who rates these movies, it got one-and-a-half stars out of five.

I watched it.

It was pretty funny.

It deserved two stars. :)

As far as books and stories go, the last one that I read which surprised me was "Wool" by Hugh Howley. It was pretty decent. The rest in the series are "OK", but it's the first one that's the best.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 13:27

I would put Star Trek Discovery in that category! :)

However, one REALLY BIG thing for me (and this is an unusual example): Doing Bible College. I practically had to be pushed into it by my friends from Church, but once I got into it, I found that not only was I good at what I was doing, I enjoyed it enormously too.

(I have just been asked to publish my first paper, which is weirdly exciting, especially since it's on an obscure topic I wasn't sure I understood properly!!!!!).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 15:21

Good Smoked Haddock Kedgeree was far more enjoyable than I thought it would be,, plus after hating bananas and custard in my younger years I now find it to be very moorish .... No intellectual surprises though.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 18:57

Alien, Covenant.
At first I was really looking forward to it, then so many said it was crap and should have never been made, but when I saw it, I thought you know that was a decent film; great cinematography, striking etc., yet with something missing, something not quite right. Which is similar to how I saw Blade Runner 2049. Still a surprise in the end.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 11:04

The first Nolan Batman.

My wife an I really liked it. It just clicked all the way through.

Alas the 2nd one was boring as hell, and we didn't even bother with whatever the Bane one was called.

Little Miss Sunshine... We went to a free screening, and thought it was a good little film.

South Park, Stick of Truth. That is an excellent game. Alas the sequel, not so much.

Matt Smith's Dr Who... Thought that was going to be terrible. Very happy to be proved wrong. (I'm 1.5 doctors behind at the moment, not seen half of Smith's final series, and none of Capaldi... I've heard the internet was just fine with the new casting though, so that's good! )

Star Wars, The Force Awakens... The final trailer was a masterpiece (of inspiring music), but I was still butthurt from the prequels. Thank god the film was amazing. Nope, don't want to hear anyone say it was just a remake of A New Hope... Why is that a bad thing? A New Hope was great too :) The current trailer for the new film just looks dull and all about the bloody jedi.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 11:22

Film wise ... Arrival and Wonder Woman were both a lot better than expected,, watched to the end which is more than I can say for most films this year.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 15:05

birdtable wrote:...watched to the end which is more than I can say for most films this year.
+1 to that.

For me, it dates back, but I have to say Dead Space 2. I was completely new to the franchise, and knew absolutely nothing about it. I didn't even know it was a horror shooter. I bought it because of a friend telling me non-stop how awesome it was without exactly telling me what it was. (Last time this had happened, it was about darksiders 1 which ended up being another pleasant surprise, so I went ahead).
Now I'm not... WAS not a big fan of neither horror games nor shooters. Suffice to say I was... surprised... maybe a little shocked by the intro and first few minutes. Then I went through with it, at night in a dark room with headphones blasting loud, and oh boy I had problems stopping.

Come to think about it, I might be due for another run... :roll:

Fun fact, I thought I was buying the first one (might as well start at the beginning), but there was a price sticker right on the "2" on the box XD.

Goodbye, Visceral. I will miss you.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 22:04

The new map UI in X4 :P

I'll get my coat.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 25. Oct 17, 01:27

Brexit

(but only in the sense of 'a more entertaining car crash' than I expected)
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Wed, 25. Oct 17, 01:33

Marriage :P
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 25. Oct 17, 10:56

North African date cake, soooo much sugar but soooooo gooood
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 1. Nov 17, 23:47

- the Xbox One :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Return to “Off Topic English”