Will there ever be a X3 remastered with X:R engine and graphics?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you want to buy X3 Remastered?

I would buy X3 Remastered Edition.
42%
No, X4 will be enough for me.
51%
Don't care.
7%

Total votes: 169

bgi123
x4

Will there ever be a X3 remastered with X:R engine and graphics?

Post by bgi123 » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 07:04

I still play that game and really want X4 to be similar to it, but watching the alpha trailer for X4 seems like its a rebooted X:Rebirth. I admit, I will pay 30-60$ for a remastered X3 myself, not sure about others though.

What I don't like...

Interiors are bloated, and wasteful. You guys seem to be trying to make single player Star Citizen and it seems like making interiors and NPCs unique will be a HUGE task that not even Star Citizen has finished yet. Simply put for me, NPCs all looking copy and pasted is super immersion breaking. If you guys wanted to do that you guys could have used sprites on a 2D artist rendering to have interactions (like the thumbnail used for alpha trailer). Would look better than the 3D NPCS and take much less dev time. Even I would prefer clicking an UNIQUE NPC and having thier sprite and 2D background pop up instead of having to walk around an empty desolate station with what amounts to clones. You could have like people walking around in sprite form with back ground sound to make it feel more alive even or just a static image of such a thing happening.

I am not sure how it will look in the final release, but I don't have that much hope if Star Citizen couldn't pull it off.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 10:00

Graphics aren't what makes X games great, and it's not like the older games don't run or look alright on modern systems.

Not sold on the idea of interiors or 'walking sections' myself (did not play X:R so can't comment) but I don't want X4 to be X3 with prettier graphics. I'd like for it to be more than that. If I want to play X3, I'll play X3.

Mavo Pi
x4

Post by Mavo Pi » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 10:09

I would rather have them spend their time on x4 and later on a vr edition x4. x3 still looks good enough to enjoy it.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 10:12

simple question: would it generate enough customers to make a profit? i certainly doubt it because the cost/investment is prohibitive.
As far as i know you cannt just push the ship and station models to the other engine, but you have to re-do them basically from scratch. The same applies to the Game Scripts, and possibly much other Stuff which make up the Game. It also wouldnt be a remaster (where you basically take Assets from the older Title and put it in the Engine of the newer one and fix the stuff where it doesnt work) but its more like a Rewrite from Scratch. Also because of this it will probably feel entirely diffrent.

(remember: X³ is basically just an improved X² which is basically just an improved X-T which is basically just an improved X-BtF. and X-BtF was released in 1999, so its "Engine", if you could call it that back then, is rooted in the 90s. On the other Hand X-R was a rewrite from Scratch which was released in 2013, which is almost 1½ Decades difference)

PS This is just my own opinion on this Topic.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 10:58

Nope - X3 remaster makes no sence, because the graphic is no the biggest pain. It's GUI and single-core CPU usage. You would have to rewrite the entire engine and you would end up with X4 anyway.

It's better to make X3 mod or DLC for X4 when it wil be released.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 11:26

X4 is already the attempt to make the new game more like X3, if i remember that correctly, there wont be a X3 remastered ...
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 23:22

JSDD wrote:X4 is already the attempt to make the new game more like X3, if i remember that correctly, there wont be a X3 remastered ...
well, lets hope.....

Kitty
x3tc

Post by Kitty » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 08:44

X2 graphics were a little low level. This did not prevent me for enjoying the game.
X3 graphics are perfect for me. Don't need more. I am really disapointed to hear the vast amount of money spent in development to have better looking graphics in modern games, which often ends in "more pixels, more cpu, and if it's not enough, kill the eyes with 3D".

Anyway, I guess that SW companies do it for good market reasons, including having good articles written for the game by the handfull of core gamers/critics/technophil journalists.

But, since you ask... I DON'T CARE. I won't buy a graphically remastered X3.

X games value is elsewhere.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 09:37

I would like to exchange those Rebirth graphics for something else please. Like Rebirth's shipyards, the expanded production chains, cockpits. And also the new modular station building.

JSDD wrote:X4 is already the attempt to make the new game more like X3, if i remember that correctly, there wont be a X3 remastered ...
Unfortunately it will have far too much Rebirth and not enough X3.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 09:49

I am really disapointed to hear the vast amount of money spent in development to have better looking graphics in modern games
graphics do matter, but advances in graphical rendering and engines are just as much about efficiency as visuals. older engines have severe performance bottlenecks that arn't always obvious in the era that they are designed but become increasingly so as time passes. More modern visual techniques both look better and are EASIER for game developers to implement.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

ero_sk
x4

Post by ero_sk » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 15:10

I'm a great fan of X2/X3 games but as the time (and technology) moves on so do the expectations. X3 is no longer to me what it used to be few years ago. Some mechanics and features that didn't bother me in the past are now stopping me from enjoying the game in full. It's time to make progress in the areas such as even more living universe and real, visible actions of the empires and corporations. If I play X3 these days I very often catch myself annoyed by different aspects, such as the fact that once I establish my empire there is nothing to compete with. Empires and corporations are there but they are static and- once again- these days it's very noticeable to me. Therefore no, I wouldn't buy remastered X3. It's time for something newer and better.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 23:24

Graaf wrote:
Unfortunately it will have far too much Rebirth and not enough X3.
at the first glance it look very much like XR, thats right, but to be honest, its far to early to say more than that, the game is not even close to finished, so i'd say we have to wait and see ...

the old graphics from X3 was not that bad (only modders has some problems with it), but the engine was just outdated, a newer more modern engine had to be programmed, and the first game using that new engine was bullsh*t (XRebirth), but that doesnt mean that all games with that engine will be bullsh*t ... i think there will be more "presentations / updates" onthe current development status and on "how the game looks like" ...

and NO, it's not all about the graphics, the rest of the engine matters too, no multi-threading possible with the old engine, completely integer-based (even the meshes were described in integers), bad physics, no "intelligent" collision avoidance / path finding etc, ... but nevertheless X3TC was the best game i've ever played (mostly because its a good-looking space game with complexity)
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

rulerofallcheese

Post by rulerofallcheese » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 04:57

Don't really care about a remaster. I loved X3 to death and I never once cared about the art being a bit dated by today's standards. I actually preferred the ship designs to Rebirth's sometimes. The only thing that would be enticing is if a remake allowed the ships to be crippled during boarding.

I absolutely hated in X3 when you shot ion lasers at a ship you wanted to capture for about an hour (real world time), only to find that it destroyed all their weapons - protecting your marines - but didn't do squat to their engines.

There used to be a youtube video of those damn marines in X3 going around in circles trying to catch a ship that had been fried with ion disruptors. The original video (can't find it) was to the Yakety Sax music (music only below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 19:21

What killed X3 for me was fleet management. I got litcubes mod and got to a point where I could start massing up ships and going to war. But it is near damn impossible. The fleet AI are too dumb to do anything and controlling it is just outlandishly frustrating.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 19:50

If any remaster is to be done it's xbtf with xtension content merged into the core game like the added ships etc. It would be awesome to see how the test ship and intro looks in hd as in higher poly and textures. Tho hopefully not touch the gameplay even if it makes sense due to better ways to do things.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 21:14

What is to remaster in X3? Absolutely nothing while all cosmetic work can be achieved by applying proper mods. And this is what remastering is all about - by adjusting cosmetic aspects to modern standards. Using X4 engine for X3 wouldn't be remastering, but writing a new game. \Do you really think they have the manpower, time and budget to make a new-old game and an alternative to X4 while maintaining their main product which is X4. Really naive thinking.

What I would like to see remastered is X2. Recently I spent ~30 hours with this game by finishing the plot, building small trading empire and owning two awesome M6 with one wing of M3 fighters per M6. Game is pretty basic in terms of gameplay and content but really fun to play.

What this game needs is support for panoramic resolutions! in 1080p everything on the screen looks pretty stretched. 1050p with black bars is more acceptable yet stretch is still visible. Other things are - low res textures of ships, stations and backgrounds. Also game music and sounds could use some dusting off. Anything else - perhaps a gamepad support. And that is all. No new gameplay features because this would only evoke more bugs etc. Only cosmetic and audio refresh with proper widescreen resolutions for any remastering. Something what Blizzard did to Starcraft recently.
Last edited by Sorkvild on Sat, 21. Oct 17, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 21:17

No need to remaster X3, because there is nothing wrong with graphics in that game. It's different than XR, but not necessarily bad, wrong, outdated, or anything negative to change.

Parrafin
x3tc

Post by Parrafin » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 06:29

I would like a 'remaster' not in terms of graphics but the UI etc. Maybe a mod project will one day port the older games to the new engine but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 08:55

Parrafin wrote:I would like a 'remaster' not in terms of graphics but the UI etc. Maybe a mod project will one day port the older games to the new engine but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Don´t count with that...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 10:36

I'm sure that if X4 will be good enough, we will have "Remaster" mods for previous games - this would be much easier, faster and cheaper than actual remaster of old game engine.

Return to “X4: Foundations”