Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 02:01

What a wonderful programme.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 11:16

On the subject, check out The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time which I thought was fantastic - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1782953469

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 12:44

Yeah read it years ago. It came in for some criticism for being too stereotyped but I enjoyed it.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 20:07

Hmm, tried watching it, but felt he was playing to the camera so much I had to stop.

Nice idea though, to highlight the problem that he's being dealing with unbeknownst to us all these years.

Always thought he was a slightly 'strange chap', but really liked pretty much every nature program he was involved with so far.

(and no, we don't want the amtc back)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 20:13

exogenesis wrote:(and no, we don't want the amtc back)
I would disagree here, he made the forum a less boring place...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 20:30

greypanther wrote:
exogenesis wrote:(and no, we don't want the amtc back)
I would disagree here, he made the forum a less boring place...
Especially for the moderators. :roll:

Now, back on topic ......
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 21:53

Nanook wrote:Especially for the moderators. :roll:

Now, back on topic ......
He kept you all on your toes! :P

What is this, back on topic, in off topic? I am confused! :roll:

But... In fact I have never liked Mr. Packham much, always found him odd. That said who am I to comment on him? I too am considered odd by many. I have l always found him hard work to watch, not really sure why.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 22:56

greypanther wrote: But... In fact I have never liked Mr. Packham much, always found him odd.
Well, if he has Asperger's, then that pretty much explains why you've always found him odd, surely?

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 10:53

exogenesis wrote:Nice idea though, to highlight the problem that he's being dealing with unbeknownst to us all these years.
I've not seen the programme yet - it's on my iPlayer list - but this comment highlights for me one of the fundamental questions of 'disability' generally and specifically the situation of those who find it difficult, rather than impossible, to live like the majority. What is 'the problem' he - or anyone- is dealing with? Is it that they are somehow less able in an absolute sense, or is it that society has created norms to which someone doesn't fit? Put another way, has Chris been dealing with the problems created by aspergers - or has he been dealing with the fact that he has aspergers in a society that doesn't cater for people with this particular difference?

Personally, I currently favour the social model of disability - where it is not the person's ability that is impaired by their difference, but rather it's society's failure to cater for that difference that makes someone unable to do something. There almost certainly are extreme cases where individuals find particular tasks almost impossible even when their needs are catered for, but I think the vast majority of 'disability' is simply society catering for it's norms and forgetting those on the fringes of whatever spectrum you're looking at.

I'd like to try and create the word 'diffability', to recognise that - generally - we're all able to do things, but some of us just need to go about it in a different way.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 21:09

Rapier wrote:...Personally, I currently favour the social model of disability - where it is not the person's ability that is impaired by their difference, but rather it's society's failure to cater for that difference that makes someone unable to do something. There almost certainly are extreme cases where individuals find particular tasks almost impossible even when their needs are catered for, but I think the vast majority of 'disability' is simply society catering for it's norms and forgetting those on the fringes of whatever spectrum you're looking at...
There is certainly some truth to that when it comes down to certain psychological issues.

However, there are problems and "disabilities" that "society" just can't accommodate in stride. I don't mean that those suffering from these are forever crippled or that they can't function, I mean that the nature of human social interaction is held powerless in some situations as it truly "does not apply." It's impotent due to the nature of the particular issue.

With Asperber's, there's an entire channel of social communication and understanding that has been turned off or, at least, been greatly reduced in effectiveness. Not every sufferer is effected to the same degree, but some of those who have been impacted the most will not be easily helped by "society" doing something about it as far as social or cultural change is concerned.

What we must do is be attentive to these problems and to those who suffer from them. We must understand that sufferers are human beings that deserve our efforts to help them and, when we are able, to accommodate their specific needs.

I also have to say that they deserve to be independent, accepted, and to be supported in their efforts to have a rewarding life in human society. (For those with issues that still allow them to be functional and safe.)

I'll also note: Everything that I have learned points to one inescapable fact when it comes down to diagnostics and labeling of human behaviors: Our definitions and expectations often change. Our interpretations and classifications are also effected by cultural and social change and, sadly, diagnostic "fads." In short, certain diagnoses do not always yield completely predictable results. They are, by and large, a matter of "degree." This is why, for instance, psychology is a "soft science", but related fields in neuroscience are more "hard science." Human behavior, itself, is not always easily predictable in the specific instance, but predictions based on aggregate results largely hold true. That means that a person who is diagnosed with a specific issue will not always conform in their behavior in every way to some predictable model. There are always deviations and exceptions for individuals. And, that is how it should be, always, if we value human uniqueness and diversity.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 22:04

I always thought he was very narcissistic...

Similarly, Dr. Khalid A. Mansour (a British Arab psychiatrist) has proposed in an article in the Pan Arab Journal of Psychiatry that narcissistic personality may merit classification as an autistic spectrum disorder....

The article explores similarities and differences between narcissism and Aspergers, a syndrome which now is being labelled as an autistic spectrum disorder.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/re ... m-disorder

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 03:07

warning : beers consumed...
Rapier wrote:...Personally, I currently favour the social model of disability
Think it's too simple to conclude that 'different' is mostly unaccepted by society,
there's a obviously a gamut of acceptance across society,
but I think 'modern' feelings toward those outside the norm has never been higher,
almost to the point of it being rammed down our throats by political correctness.

Those with disabilities/difficulties are catered for better than ever before
(as long as it doesn't cost us too much money/effort, so actually maybe they're not catered for 'enough' yet).
birdtable wrote:...The article explores similarities and differences between narcissism and Aspergers
Interesting correlation, Packhams ego is pretty strong, not too sure I'd call him narcissistic exactly,
I mean he doesn't keep looking in a mirror he carries around (at least not on-camera).

Wondering how the combination of egotism & autism plays out - perhaps it sort of peaks in someone like Packham,
'high-functioning' he said - so can deal with being a good wildlife public presenter, whilst hiding his personal problems well.

Return to “Off Topic English”