Stereoscopic X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you plan to play X4 in stereoscopic 3D?

Yes. I already play X3/XR in stereoscopic 3D.
8%
Yes. I'm waiting for the VR version.
12%
Yes. If 3D monitors don't become obsolete.
1%
Maybe. I don't know yet.
12%
No. Gameplay issues - Vanilla only
8%
No. Health issues - Eyestrain, headaches
11%
No. Hardware issues - Cost, complexity
24%
No. Other issues - Ugly glasses
23%

Total votes: 83

patient zero
x3tc

Stereoscopic X4

Post by patient zero » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:04

I was mildly disturbed when Egosoft said they weren't planning on a VR version of X4. After seeing the new cockpits it seems like too good of an opportunity to miss so I bought a 3D monitor. Turns out several people are already playing X3/XR in stereoscopic mode and have most of the bugs worked out.
Makes me wonder what the community thinks about it. Is it a trend or a fad?
This is only a virtual reality.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:25

No. And for all the No-reasons listed. TBH I don't see the need to.
Although graphics can make the game look pleasing, it doesn't make it a good game.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:33

No, its a fad.

VR will die out like 3D on sky tv.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:51

I guess "no interest at all" is "ugly glasses"?
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 19:28

3D and VR and that whole concept has been making runs at the mass market for many decades now, since the first red/green stereoscopic movies. It always ends up dying down, only to try again some time later (on PCs, its first major run was blown away by the advent of 3D graphics cards, which to me seems really odd, as the two are not only not mutually exclusive, but indeed complementary), and every time it comes back a little stronger, so my *guess* is that eventually, some day it will take hold (I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.) However, I don't think this will happen until it can be achieved cheaply and well enough without resorting to any sort of headwear (be it a full-on clunky VR headset or even just a pair of glasses) - those requisite "accessories" are not only cumbersome, but also serve to isolate people from each other (thus marring the "shared experience" aspect of viewing movies and such, be it in a theatre or at home.) So, I wouldn't hold my breath - not least of all because blue isn't my colour (yes, I DID see Avatar in 3D - *yaaaaawn*...) :P

Just guessing, of course...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 19:41

No.

VR isn't ready for consumers until we get:
- Zero screen door effect
- Large FoV
- High resolution i.e. the ability to comfortably read text and instruments in game
- Haptic gloves
- Wireless
- comfort, the ability to wear the headset for 2hrs

3yrs away imho.

Kitty
x3tc

Post by Kitty » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 20:34

Why asking ?
No, I won't use it. But I certainly don't want to forbid others to use it ! (as long as the game still works in 2D).

Silla
xr

Post by Silla » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 21:35

Do we really need to have the discussion again ? It was clearly stated why they do not plan to release X4 as VR ready but rather will release a special version for VR like they did for XR eventually. So what’s the point of all this..besides the chance of X4 going to have a VR version at some point.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 22:41

Crimsonraziel wrote:I guess "no interest at all" is "ugly glasses"?
Yes. Why does depth perception not interest you?
Kitty wrote:Why asking ?
I'm curious why people don't want depth perception in their 3D games.
Silla wrote: So what’s the point of all this...
To focus the discussion in a single thread. I'm tired of searching random threads for random information.
PabloRSA wrote:No, its a fad.

This bothers me. You could be right but it's like saying Holographic Projection is just a fad. I don't know anyone who doesn't want a holographic projector. If Egosoft rented a Holographic Projection System for the x4 product launch it could make them rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 09:16

The biggest issues with VR right now are:

To damn expensive, a halfway decent headset costs as much as a new console (and that's excluding peripherals), You'd be better off spending that money on improving your PC, or getting a new TV or anything that you'd use more regularly than a VR headset.

Lack of Marketing, you can say that there are plenty of games released for VR but they all fall into 2 categories. Awkward Tactical shooter, and slightly improved walking simulator while VR may eventually become commonplace, but it'll have a hard time being used for anything other than first person games.

Clumsy, once again putting aside peripherals (which take up an entire room in of themselves) you lose all knowledge of your surroundings, making using a keybord/mouse or controller much harder breaking immersion far more than if you'd just be using a monitor/TV.

And finally health and safety, Cause lets face it, shoving 2 bright screens just a few inches from your eyes in a dark area isn't good for the eyes.

VR still has miles to go before it has any hope of becoming commonplace, even then it will never truely overtake conventional methods until Holodecks become reality.
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 10:44

patient zero wrote:
Crimsonraziel wrote:I guess "no interest at all" is "ugly glasses"?
Yes. Why does depth perception not interest you?
Why should it? Over thousands of hours in the X-Universe, it wasn't "graphics" that made it fun and kept me playing.
patient zero wrote:If Egosoft rented a Holographic Projection System for the x4 product launch it could make them rich beyond their wildest dreams.
This also states to be true for lottery tickets.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

ero_sk
x4

Post by ero_sk » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 12:44

The poll is wrong in the first place. There should be option "No- not interested".

gapper4
x3ap

Post by gapper4 » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 22:49

I have absolutely no interest in playing space games that are NOT VR anymore. After playing hundreds of hours of E:D and about a hundred hours of XRVR, I can say with utter certainty that if you're not playing a space game in VR, you're not really playing a space game. Sorry, but it's true. Try out a few hours of XRVR and tell me honestly afterwards that the game is better on a flat screen.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 01:37

Thank you. I was worried I wouldn't get any comments from anyone who had actually tried VR.
For those of you who can't afford the cost, try looking on eBay. I bought a brand new Asus VG248QE for $150. It turns out 3D monitors are so unpopular they actually cost less than similar 2D models. :o

Edit: Notice: Don't click on the link in the next comment unless you have unlimited data service. My browser burned out my data limit downloading the entire hour-long video when only ten seconds of it are relevant. It's just more anger about not wanting to see what's beneath the surface.
Last edited by patient zero on Sun, 29. Oct 17, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 21. Oct 17, 09:56

Every time I heard about 3D screen I have this scene in my mind:
https://youtu.be/0_4nmW5GZhQ?t=12m58s

Reprisal
x4

Post by Reprisal » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 04:39

There's two types of people. Those who love VR and those who haven't tried VR.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 05:09

PabloRSA wrote:No, its a fad.

Haha. VR is an inevitable progression in gaming, inevitable. There is no way in hell that VR wont become commonplace. It just cant NOT happen, the technology just has to get better, and cheaper.

I havent even tried it, I dont have the cash and live in a 3rd world country where importing anything costs triple, but I just know that this is a fact.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 06:21

Eventually, we will probably have some sort of neural interface. Monitors, headsets, keyboards, smartphones etc., will become obsolete. However, VR now and in the foreseeable future, will remain little more than a novelty or specialty item and won't be embraced by any but a very tiny audience from what I can see. Certainly not worth putting any development time into initial game release.

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 08:33

Reprisal wrote:There's two types of people. Those who love VR and those who haven't tried VR.
What a nonsense. But ok, if thes is your meaning, than i'm the first one who proves your statement as wrong... i tried and i don´t like it. I tried it again and i even don´t like. This repeated a lot of times but no... i don´t like VR.

Reprisal
x4

Post by Reprisal » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 09:03

Lc4Hunter wrote:
Reprisal wrote:There's two types of people. Those who love VR and those who haven't tried VR.
What a nonsense. But ok, if thes is your meaning, than i'm the first one who proves your statement as wrong... i tried and i don´t like it. I tried it again and i even don´t like. This repeated a lot of times but no... i don´t like VR.
Which VR did you try?

Return to “X4: Foundations”