Manager managing my Mining Empire? - Mod effect.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Snaphaan
x3

Manager managing my Mining Empire? - Mod effect.

Post by Snaphaan » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 14:06

Just curious. I heard/read there is no auto trading in the game. Only a manager on a station can do that.

But I just added four mining ships to a manager on my skunk and he seems to be running the show fine - no manual trading whatsoever. Maybe I misunderstood.

Haven't tried it yet but will this work with say 10 M trade ships (containers or whataver)?

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 14:33

Manager on your Skunk? Are you sure? If so, that's either:
- a bug
- or an excellent and undocumented feature.

Or, are you perhaps running any mods?
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Snaphaan
x3

Post by Snaphaan » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 16:35

No Way!!!

So I'm not supposed to be able to do this? Cool. When I get home a bit later I will try it with a couple of trade ships and let you know what I did exactly.

I'm also running a couple of mods but more like butterranges, showmeyourskills, shutupren, captialship bridges, a nice looking yisha etc. Dunno. Will update.

Snaphaan
x3

Post by Snaphaan » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:09

RAVEN.myst wrote:Manager on your Skunk? Are you sure? If so, that's either:
- a bug

Just got home, checked my mods - I'm an idiot. I added Yet Another Trader mod at the beginning of my game but kind of forgot about it.

Oh well. Just a thought that popped up now. Is this actually cheating? Am I breaking the game with this mod?

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:30

Snaphaan wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:Manager on your Skunk? Are you sure? If so, that's either:
- a bug

Just got home, checked my mods - I'm an idiot. I added Yet Another Trader mod at the beginning of my game but kind of forgot about it.

Oh well. Just a thought that popped up now. Is this actually cheating? Am I breaking the game with this mod?
Are you cheating? Yeah. Are you breaking the game? No. Real question is: Do you care?
I use a few dozens of mods. Most of them are for me to get more fun out of the game. I use YAT for the very purpose of automated mining (more specifically, to get basic resources to NPC stations so they don't freeze up all the time):
There are a lot of NPC stations producing refined metals and silicon wafers through the map. Most of them will end up short of ore and silicon in no time, which will freeze up the economy. Mining the resources for them, either manually or by just ordering your ships around, is for for a while. But it quickly becomes a PITA for me. Setting up my own metalwork yards is a solution, but having too many stations to manage can also become somewhat of a hassle due to the property window being what it is. So if I want to play a game where I can focus on late-game wares, I will usually resort to a small army of YAT-controlled miners/energy&food traders to prevent the economy from freezing up at lower tiers.

Am I cheating? Definitively. Am I breaking the game? Nah, I'm just adding automation. I still buy and sell the wares with my own wallet, and carry them with ships I bought and own, so I don't consider this game-breaking. Do I care: well, the whole purpose of me using this mod (any any others) is to get my more fun out of doing what I want to do in this game. Mods that I don't like, I don't use. That answers the question for me.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 19:12

Snaphaan wrote:Just a thought that popped up now. Is this actually cheating? Am I breaking the game with this mod?
As Ezarkal said, it's all about personal preference and how to maximise your own enjoyment of the game. Consider this: it's an isolated, non-competitive, single-player game - mods aren't giving you any unfair edge over anyone else, so the concept of "cheating" here is at best irrelevant or at worst between you and whatever lines you choose to draw. :) As far as I'm concerned, respect to you for concerning yourself with a matter of integrity, and the good news is you needn't lose any sleep about it (in my opinion, in any case.)

Happy hunting! :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 20:42

Snaphaan wrote:...
Oh well. Just a thought that popped up now. Is this actually cheating? ...
No, it's not cheating! It's playing the game your way, using mods that were created by the tools the devs gave us. No one loses as long as you're having fun, so you're not cheating anyone, since in order to cheat, someone has to lose. Have fun. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 05:56

Ezarkal wrote: ...

There are a lot of NPC stations producing refined metals and silicon wafers through the map. Most of them will end up short of ore and silicon in no time, which will freeze up the economy.
Hi,

I wonder. This economy is completely different from the one in my game. The NPCs are producing nearly everything in sufficient amounts. The big missing ware is space fuel. I see hundreds of buy orders on the trade screen. Just building my second licensed distillery...

cu
Rainer

Snaphaan
x3

Post by Snaphaan » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 10:32

Thanks for the feedback.

I just gathered from the X4 interview Bernd is doesn't like stuff "breaking" the game's balance. Although, Ezarkal's situation does seem like the game is inherently broken and mods like these actually fix things.

Anywayz. It seems making money without auto-traders isn't that difficult. I make good money with a couple of missions and here and there I send out a trade ship. Still getting my feet whet with this.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 10:44

Snaphaan wrote:Anywayz. It seems making money without auto-traders isn't that difficult.
Indeed. Stations are great money-spinners, by the way, and the higher the tech of the ware, the more lucrative (generally speaking - though I'd avoid Arms Techs at this point.) Basic wares such as energy and water make very little, though - generally speaking, the station's build cost is indicative of how profitable it will be (though there are a couple of outliers, stations that are more profitable than one might expect - I'll leave you to figure out what those are, unless you specifically ask ;) )
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 12:07

RainerPrem wrote: ...
I wonder. This economy is completely different from the one in my game.
Hi Rainer,

and yes, over time the economy of each individual game is progressing differently. It all depends on your actions, in combat , trading and building.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 09:37

The "random" economy in XR is quite good and different for everyone it seems. I've seen no stations which desperately require ore in game. But I mostly trade in HoL and Albion.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 20:27

MrFiction wrote:The "random" economy in XR is quite good and different for everyone it seems. I've seen no stations which desperately require ore in game. But I mostly trade in HoL and Albion.
Hol (more specifically cold star and torride) is a motherload for refined metal, silicon wafer and various energy cells. OL has a bit more trouble with these wares, however. Especially if you want to add your own refined metal consuming stations to the mix.

This is actually very good, as it gives the player opportunities to become a universe trader by moving wares from where they are overproduced to where they are sorely lacking. But in scenarios where the player don't want to send his ships too far, then the alternatives are a little harder to implement. While not bad per se (a game should offer some challenge, after all), it can add some tedium to the experience after a while. And that's where mods become interesting, as they might help remove that tedium and allow you to play your game the way you want it to.

Then again, it's only a matter of how you play the game, which is what the sandbox is all about. :)
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Tue, 24. Oct 17, 18:48

To the guy who asked is it cheating to use mods like YAT. With only a basic Mk1 skunk you can earn 300 million per hour starting from a brand new game, no duping, no glitching, no save hacking, no cheating of any kind. Using a few YAT traders and miners to help keep the economy from tanking is nothing in X Rebirth.. The money you will earn is pocket change and its nice to feel some progression of building your empire up..

I personally recommend using YAT to create miners/commodity traders based on systems need rather than maximum profit.. Feels more like how people do things in real life.. See a need provide the solution, earn credits while doing so.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”