Requested Option- Allow Plain vanilla mouse and keyboard as an option in VR

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cowpux1

Requested Option- Allow Plain vanilla mouse and keyboard as an option in VR

Post by Cowpux1 » Mon, 7. Aug 17, 21:14

I could totally play this using mouse (mostly) and keyboard along with voice command and totally rock the game. I am sad it is only allowed in 2d mode.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Mon, 7. Aug 17, 23:55

+1

Using a hotas here, but I'm sure for those who have a gaming mouse, (with loads of side-buttons) and other more exotic peripherals like for example the 3D mouse it would be a great addition.

In the early days before having a HOTAS, I played ED with both a mouse and an XBOX controller. Same could be done here.

Yes please.

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 00:41

+2 for mouse addition to VR, I have a kick ass gaming mouse with loads 'a buttons. It's easy to find with the headset on and would resolve the issue of no auto select of station icons.

OrionSnake
x4

Post by OrionSnake » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 07:02

+1 for mouse if possible I played the vanilla version with keyboard and mouse

Bluxwave

Post by Bluxwave » Thu, 17. Aug 17, 02:46

+1 for my support to get mouse steering working in VR

just a little bit of effort for a whole load of people who want the option

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 12:38

At first I disagreed with the requests for mouse/keyboard access but I do believe this may be a requirement ( mouse + VR Keyboard) especially when it comes to trading/manufacturing/fleet control .. or it will need a lot more work on the interface unless of course X4 VR (if it is intended) aims to be a glorified pew pew......but early days.. :)

rp198419

Post by rp198419 » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 13:37

The game should have a virtual keyboard and mouse access in VR. Even Elite Dangerous, which has an over-complicated menu system in the same vein of XRVR, has mouse access in VR. Without the mouse, players would spend more time going through menus than playing the game!

Frontier, ED's developer, has refused to implememnt a virtual keyboard for PC users, saying it is the reponsibility of Oculus to do so. XBox and PS already have a virtual keyboard built in.

For XRVR however, given the very 'clunky' nature of the UI (when it works at all) in VR, mouse access is essential, while a virtual keyboard is also highly desirable. Having to remove the HMD everytime you want to use the filter box is completely imersion-breaking.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 13:47

@ rp198419 ... I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree regarding " very 'clunky' nature of the UI (when it works at all) in VR" ... I now have no problem with the usage of the UI once learned what key does what,, purely using HOTAS .... just needed a bit of patience to learn keys.... but we all have different experiences...... but a VR keyboard would be nice if only for naming/renaming.

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 16:06

The mouse replacement in VR should be the VR input device. It works a bit like a mouse with the main difference that you can see it and point "absolutely".

The problem with a mouse pointer in VR would be that you quickly loose track of where it was the last time once you look around.

The nature of interacting with things in VR is 3D. So the VR input devices allow you to point in 3D and should also work nice as additional menu controls in case you use a HOTAS for primary steering.

-Bernd
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

rp198419

Post by rp198419 » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 21:19

birdtable wrote:@ rp198419 ... I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree regarding " very 'clunky' nature of the UI (when it works at all) in VR" ... I now have no problem with the usage of the UI once learned what key does what,, purely using HOTAS .... just needed a bit of patience to learn keys.... but we all have different experiences...... but a VR keyboard would be nice if only for naming/renaming.
Sure, but when using the Touch controls, the UI is definitely 'clunky' and frequently doesn't respond. A great pity as, with one or two minor exceptions, the Touch controls are great for flying and general usage of the game.

I too have a HOTAS but prefer to use the Touch controllers now I have gotten use to them.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 24. Oct 17, 14:47

With the latest update, 4.22, we have improved mouse support in VR. Please take a look and give us your feedback.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 28. Oct 17, 14:13

Started new game with 4.22, lost the ability to interact for docking/info/hail with HOTAS .. have to use mouse to open the options,,, last dock still on screen 80 Km away, can interact with that docking point at that distance...
Worked perfectly before update..... well HOTAS did.

SORTED/FIXED .... Needed a 870mb reacquiring of files on Steam ,,, How that many MB's dissapeared God knows but all working ... :)

God spoke to me ..."You are dimwitted, fancy deleting all dlc's in extensions"

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 29. Oct 17, 12:42

Pure Vanilla .. Still unable to interact with docking points without highlighting icon with mouse first....

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”