Pc specs to run X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Browser_ice
x4

PC requirements: less or more then XRebirth ?

Post by Browser_ice » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 21:55

Are the PC requirements figured out yet ?

Or at least, will it be less, equal or more then what is for XRebirth ?
Steam X-Superbox, XR, playing X4
WIndows-10
Intel I7-3770
16Gb Memory
Nvgidia GTX-1060

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 22:07

patient zero wrote: My ISP has already started phasing out support for Win7. It seems likely MS will also stop supporting it soon. It might work okay at first but there won't be any future updates available.
Technically they already *have* stopped supporting it--Windows 7 went out of mainstream support in January 2015. Extended support (e.g. where they only fix critical zero-day hax and the like) ends Jan 2020.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: PC requirements: less or more then XRebirth ?

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 10:10

Browser_ice wrote:Are the PC requirements figured out yet ?

Or at least, will it be less, equal or more then what is for XRebirth ?
Please scroll to the top of this page. That reply from CBJ was only 1 working day ago.

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 11:45

patient zero wrote: My ISP has already started phasing out support for Win7. It seems likely MS will also stop supporting it soon. It might work okay at first but there won't be any future updates available.
Slightly off topic, but your ISP should not need to support a particular operating system. There are internet protocols like UDP and TCP/IP they have to support, but support on the client side (client=your computer) is your responsibility. As long as you have an operating system that does support those protocols, it should Just Work.

Unless some antivirus software is part of your internet subscription, then the operating system becomes relevant because the software has to run on it.
Gazz in the LT forum:
In X3, piracy is not implemented at all. All the "pirates" that fly around are bands of roaming psychopaths that destroy everything they see without even trying to loot anything.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 13:57

YOYOMAN_MODDER wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:With the GPU prices as they are consider a 2nd hand part

2nd hand 980Ti is as fast as a 1070 and Vega 56 for half the price and can overclock to near stock 1080 performance.
overclocked 980TI not equal stock 1080. nevermind.
Not equal no but close, as I recall within 15% where as a 1080 is at the very least double the price, and a 1080Ti x3 the price.

Werkelijk
x4

Post by Werkelijk » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 15:25

so the only thing we can say with absolute certainty is that X4 will require a 64-bit Operating System?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 3. Sep 17, 15:50

dssgmarine wrote:so the only thing we can say with absolute certainty is that X4 will require a 64-bit Operating System?
And a graphics card supporting Vulkan.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 05:25

Rabiator der II. wrote:
Slightly off topic, but your ISP should not need to support a particular operating system.
I was trying to avoid whining about my personal problems.
Basically, my ISP's website has stopped supporting Internet Explorer v11, Win7 can't support newer versions, and no drivers are available to upgrade my PC with a new OS. So the problem is: what if Steam stops supporting IE11? No Win7 PC would be able to access X4.

And it gets worse. Given Microsoft's 3 year economic cycle, they will have to declare Windows10 obsolete about the same time X4 is scheduled to be released. It's probably safe to assume Win11 will be as irrelevant as Vista & Win8. Then Win12 will probably be released about the same time as X4 v2.0, which is when all the bugs will have been worked out and the mods & DLC become available.

Five years from now is when we will really know what X4 will run on.

Edit: I did some research and it seems apparent Steam has no intention of dropping support for legacy software on aging platforms. In fact they still support Doom & Quake. So I was right. All this is just me whining because I was up late playing video games.
Last edited by patient zero on Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
This is only a virtual reality.

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 10:25

patient zero wrote:Basically, my ISP's website has stopped supporting Internet Explorer v11, Win7 can't support newer versions, and no drivers are available to upgrade my PC with a new OS. So the problem is: what if Steam stops supporting IE11? No Win7 PC would be able to access X4.
Have you tried another internet browser instead of IE? Chrome or Firefox come to mind, both are free to download and use.

And there are even more to choose from. Personally I use SeaMonkey, the successor to the old Mozilla Web Suite (and it is free too). Right now, I use SeaMonkey to write this post.
Gazz in the LT forum:
In X3, piracy is not implemented at all. All the "pirates" that fly around are bands of roaming psychopaths that destroy everything they see without even trying to loot anything.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 12:36

The issue about obsolescent OSs having clearly been made, perhaps you could continue your ongoing browser/support discussion by PM or in Off Topic please?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 13:01

BigBANGtheory wrote:
YOYOMAN_MODDER wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:With the GPU prices as they are consider a 2nd hand part

2nd hand 980Ti is as fast as a 1070 and Vega 56 for half the price and can overclock to near stock 1080 performance.
overclocked 980TI not equal stock 1080. nevermind.
Not equal no but close, as I recall within 15% where as a 1080 is at the very least double the price, and a 1080Ti x3 the price.
Sure the 980ti is only 15-20% behind in real FPS terms on current or older games, but you have a lot of other variables that will significantly challenge the 980ti. Monitor resolution, refresh rates, if you want to use VR or not.

The 10 series of cards really shine on higher resolutions like ultra-widescreen or 4K, and with VR mainly due to the Pascal architecture. It would be unwise to opt to buy a 980ti with a view for it to last another 2-4 years (if we're thinking of playing X4 on it) since it will probably not perform as admirably as one would like, unless perhaps you're planning on still running in 1080p at no more than 60fps still.

W_Dragon
x4

Will my computer run X4 foundation?

Post by W_Dragon » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 02:38

hi people. I have always been an X series fan. I own every X game (thanks to humble bundle, I can play x-btf even in the year 2017.

I know x4 will return to the same layout as X3 series, however, I noticed that all the graphic is based on X rebirth. which need a pretty good computer to run.

I currently have a old Asus laptop, came with a 980M . When I play XR, the game is very laggy and slow in some part of system. X4 will probably need a lot of more requirement to run even in 720.

Should I update to GTX 1080 ? there is a discount going near my local store, I plan to get it, or I will have to wait another half a year for next generation card

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 04:10

There is no official specs, but:
- You shouldn't need a 1080.
- A 980m should comfortably run the current version of X rebirth
- no game ever officially supports laptop graphics cards

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 16:32

elexis wrote:- A 980m should comfortably run the current version of X rebirth
This is accurate. If you're running into issues with XR on a laptop that has a 980M, they're more likely due to limitations of the CPU rather than the GPU.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 20:43

Hmm,a card that supports vulkin?,dont know what this is,hmm well I was going to buy a new pc in dec but ill wait around march ,my old computer is 15 years old as well.well hopefully egosoft will tell us all, what the specs are in late dec or the new year.bye all.
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 21:47

It's unlikely that we will give detailed minimum and recommended requirements until shortly before release, because both available hardware and performance can change until quite late in the development process.

However it's really not that hard to find out what hardware supports Vulkan. Both the NVidia and AMD sites give detailed listings, and both of these are among the first few results on a Google search for "Which graphics cards support Vulkan?".

Nosscar
x4

vulkan , will it improve cpu multi threaded performance

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 23. Nov 17, 12:25

From what i have read about vulkan, it can improve the performance of cpu's with more cores.
In rebirth i had a problem with my fx 6300 (6 cores) in that the performance was not great.
Now i have a gtx 1060 6gb graphics card, i am hopefull that my cpu will perform better under vulcan, because it has 6 cores that will be used to more benefit.

Is my thinking correct. will x4 run better for me, not planning on upgrading for a while yet.
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Malamadre

Post by Malamadre » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 11:06

It would be nice to know from the Devs if they're planning to give full support to multi-core cpu's; i suppose that something like the Ryzen 1700x (or 2700x with the new refresh in march) could do splendid work if you program X4 to use as many cores/threads available. Or "less-cores but higher frequencies per core" will still work better? I guess they already know what direction they'll take, and knowing it could help all those people that are planning to upgrade their rigs...

JSDD
x3tc

Re: vulkan , will it improve cpu multi threaded performance

Post by JSDD » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 11:33

Nosscar wrote:From what i have read about vulkan, it can improve the performance of cpu's with more cores.
... it reduces the driver overhead, which means rendering doesnt take as much CPU time as before (with directx or opengl). in turn, egosoft has more work to do on graphics and has better control over your GPU performance.
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Fri, 29. Dec 17, 09:41

@Nosscar: Vulkan will improve CPU performance (for many graphics related activities) this has nothing to do with the number of cores. Which on a 6(+) core system you wouldn't notice since you won't be using the core this process runs on anyway ;-) So it'll make less difference the more cores you have (unless the game actually distributes load evenly over all cores, which is very unlikely OR you have many CPU demanding applications running while gaming, which is a bad idea anyway).

@Malamadre: For consumer use it is mostly still advisable to buy a system which has less cores but a higher cores clock. Many applications are still designed to have a main thread and some worker threads. Splitting up work over multiple threads is difficult, time consuming, creates overhead and has many risks. Thus many developers still go the main thread with some worker or dedicated threads for certain things route for good reason.

Also from my experience I would not advise investing in a AMD. They do not have driver support for more than 4 years or so. Which means a system which is still perfect for normal office will become unusable.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Return to “X4: Foundations”