Oxford Circus Tube incident

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Oxford Circus Tube incident

Post by euclid » Fri, 24. Nov 17, 19:15

Just received a skype call from my son saying he's safe, not even near the station. Not yet clear what actually happened, shots were fired.

Hope everyone else is safe & sound.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 24. Nov 17, 19:33

Police on the scene are reporting no evidence of shots fired and fortunately no injuries sustained in the understandable panic at the time of the perceived incident. That Tube station has been reopened.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 25. Nov 17, 14:39

Alan Phipps wrote:Police on the scene are reporting no evidence of shots fired and fortunately no injuries sustained in the understandable panic at the time of the perceived incident. That Tube station has been reopened.
16 people were injured http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42123644

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 25. Nov 17, 14:55

Yes it appears now that at least one injury sustained in the panic is not considered to be minor. However, I am sceptical enough to wonder how many of the others now reported as injured have been in touch with 'no win, no fee' law firms since the incident and now that police have some instigator suspects detained.

Yes, I know, I'm a bad person ...
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 11:53

Has any one blamed Olly Murs yet?

My wife works in Selfridges and they were evacuated, which I thought was odd because the police advice at the time was to "stay in a building". Apparently this was due to aforementioned moron tweeting to his 8 million odd followers that he had heard shots where fired IN the store. Their security had to take that report seriously hence evacuation.

So Mr Murs the consequences of your very public verbal diarrhoea on social media:
- Would have put 1000's of people at risk had there actually been a threat on Oxford Street, forcing them to move from a relatively safe place onto the street.
- Cost Selfridges literally millions (perhaps 10s of millions) they lost 4-5 hours of trading on one of the busiest shopping days of the year. Plus the inevitable stock loss and compensation claims they'll now have to deal with.
- Likewise you have cost their employees one of their best days of commission, which I know some of them use to fund their own Christmas.

FFS people how have such large followings on social media are effectively news outlets these days in terms of reach and impact. They should probably all be pulled aside and given a stern talking to titled "Your actions have consequences".

Talking of media outlets the Daily Mail grabbed the opportunity to fear monger with both hands and used as a primary source a tweet from over a week before the incident.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/o ... 9480742255
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 14:36

To be fair, if "you" are following Olly Murs on Twitter you have bigger problems to deal with.

Return to “Off Topic English”