X4 will rock

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 9. Nov 17, 19:30

Toramo wrote:
I think it does, yes.

The argument about X:R not really an X game is totally relevant from my point of view. Because this is exactly why the community became angry.

Everyone was waiting for an X game and we just got something else. I don't know why exactly, but in my opinion, if everyone were so disappointed it is because the communication prior to the launch date wasn't clear and the community felt duped...
Well, I think they clearly said X:Rebirth wasn't following the steps of previous X games and they even considered giving it a different branding as "X" but the marketting prevailed and they called it X, with the title Rebirth, meaning exactly that, something different. Or at least that's what I recall.

They even mentioned very early before release that you would only pilot one ship.

I do think however, if Rebirth would have made sense from the start and not be as in diapers as it was when it was released, the "anger" would have not been as much as it was.

G-Fiti
x3tc

Post by G-Fiti » Tue, 21. Nov 17, 21:33

We'll see if it will rock.

Personally im quite shocked that they again choose to include highways into the game. XR and everything it brought can go die in a fire.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 15:48

G-Fiti wrote:We'll see if it will rock.

Personally im quite shocked that they again choose to include highways into the game. XR and everything it brought can go die in a fire.
Doesn't it sound too radical?

XR implementation of highways sucked indeed, but it does not mean that the idea could be cool if well implemented.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 25. Nov 17, 19:48

Toramo wrote:
I think it does, yes.

The argument about X:R not really an X game is totally relevant from my point of view. Because this is exactly why the community became angry.

Everyone was waiting for an X game and we just got something else. I don't know why exactly, but in my opinion, if everyone were so disappointed it is because the communication prior to the launch date wasn't clear and the community felt duped.
Funny thing is, we got a one ship game like X:BTF, with content we saw on the Bonus pack of the X-Trilogy, perhaps not with EVERYTHING and a shiny red bow, but it eventually made it's way to being efficient.
And allot of those people were stirred into an unnecessary blood lust for something they never thought into at the time, the legacy of those 2 years still reverberate today when they shouldn't. Egosoft didn't abandon Rebirth, they've fixed most of the bugs and they added tons of new features; They "done goofed" as it were, but most can observe that they realised that and have pain painstakingly tried their best to fix the problem and their reputation.
Such dedication to right their wrongs, do you really think an EA game, Konami Game or even an Ubisoft game would go to such trouble in this day and age to rebuild trust?

Don't get me wrong, I personally LOVED X3, it only got better with Albion Prelude, but i've noticed allot of fans here treat X3 like it was the Holy Grail of Space Sims; it was a good game, but not THAT good. Putting the trilogy on a pedestal is sad, especially when you want something better, we critique games cause we love them and want them to be everything they can be.
Rebirth delivered.. Perhaps not on everything?
But it was the first of it's new engine and as people keep saying, "Egosoft is a small team" or "Take your time!", people need to actually start taking their own advice and give them the time they have available to make X4, X5 etc. the game they are looking forward to.
Are we really going to end up rinse and repeating this shower of fanboy/baby tears when the next X Game Engine comes out in 8-15 years time to replace this engine?
The Cynicism you can cut with a knife on this forum.

We should understand that Rebirth came off as a Marmite product, they couldn't work out whether they loved it or hated it? With Fanboys defending what shouldn't be defended and bitter haters not being able to accept that changes in games happen and certain features were going to end up in the Bin.
You know where you stand with those type of people.

The game was a buggy mess and most those that hated it were angry for many reasons, it was allot more complex to what you said. I'm not going to assume that everyone is of the same Mind about Rebirth.
But the early stages of the games release, most the critique was perfectly understandable, while some of it was irrational dummy spitting.

Once the bugs were cleaned up to a degree that we could move on to the games shortcomings in general.. You had those that thought it was too bare bones, which, again was a perfectly reasonable assessment to make, as there was a number of features from Player HQ's, one flyable ship, to too few things to do on Stations.
But even many of those critiques swallowed their pride and gave Rebirth another go. Many were happy they did as Version 4 with HoL really added aspects to the game they originally did not have and liked it.
But there was still some that thought it was lacking, which again is perfectly reasonable if they felt it wasn't quite there, everyone has their own preferences.

The hard part was (Which I feel goes at the Heart of peoples anger) It took a leap of faith that Egosoft would clean up the game and add to it in order to improve it from the 1.0 version monstrosity that Rebirth was to the state it is now; To that you can see that many weren't willing to sit back and take such a gamble, even with Egosoft's reputation to keep their games supported long past it's day.
But also, positive reviews with Home of Light was too little, too late for many; few don't keep up with current developments, once that Meta-Score was released, that was it, it's rep would be sullied from then on.
But for me, personally, who has observed the contributions on the forum of Egosoft fans before the game came out to now, they are going the positive route, they got there eventually.
But again, a good release is everything, Rebirth now is a great game in it's own right, but most will only remember the release day massacre it was.
If Egosoft can avoid that this time? Then they will be fine IMHO.
Toramo wrote:So, even if X:R is, today, a "not so bad" space game, bugs + disappointment of fans just killed the game instantly.
The gameplay mechanics on the game was so far away from what the community were expected that we "known" it will never be the game we were waiting for...
Wouldn't say killed, it was a bad release. A buggy at launch game, barebones features that took Egosoft 2 years to correct.
Confidence after HoL showed that Egosoft is rebuilding trust.
Had they have just cut and run, then that goodwill would of been lost.
Maybe Hello Games, if they keep adding features with every new patch they release, maybe they too will restore faith in their brand.. Can't see it, Bernd didn't sell us a game on a foundation of pure lies like Sean Murray did. He told us the game wasn't going to have flyable Capital Ships and only one ship right from the beginning.
Trust is a hard commodity in the games industry now.
Toramo wrote:Anyway this is past :) !
Let's look forward into X4, announcement and features are exciting for now. The Macro management features looks like what we were all waiting for (something to manage the empire, ships, and stations).
Now I just hope they will not forget the Micro management part. Modulable ship with equipments, to train AI pilot etc...

In my opinion, this full scale sim (managing one scout to a complete empire) is what make X, X .

++
Absolutely!
X4 wont be without it's critiques, I can't see everyone liking this game.
But it's good to see Egosoft is being more open and engaging to it's customers.
Again, trust in the games industry is a hard commodity these days.

StoogeR
x3tc

Post by StoogeR » Sun, 26. Nov 17, 18:30

I hope it will rock.

X3 wasn't THAT good? Maybe it wasn't THAT good but it still was the best space game I ever played. Not perfect, far from it but still the best. I thought Elite Dangerous will take the crown but nah...

Knowing that X4 will be based on XR I will just say what did I hated most... Highways and "mass traffic". Not because the idea was bad but because it felt awfully artificial. And it was just a fake space filler to make the universe more alive (with the effect being opposite for me). I also prefered normal space flight vs highways, even without fake traffic it felt weird at best to travel through this... entanglement. Normal space flight FTW imo but I can live with highways as long as ships in there will be real ships which won't despawn right before me.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 17:37

StoogeR wrote:I hope it will rock.

X3 wasn't THAT good? Maybe it wasn't THAT good but it still was the best space game I ever played. Not perfect, far from it but still the best. I thought Elite Dangerous will take the crown but nah...

Knowing that X4 will be based on XR I will just say what did I hated most... Highways and "mass traffic". Not because the idea was bad but because it felt awfully artificial. And it was just a fake space filler to make the universe more alive (with the effect being opposite for me). I also prefered normal space flight vs highways, even without fake traffic it felt weird at best to travel through this... entanglement. Normal space flight FTW imo but I can live with highways as long as ships in there will be real ships which won't despawn right before me.

The moment Braben said on a Dev Q&A that there would be no form of resource management/empire building then I knew it was never going to add to the classic Frontier: Elite 2 experience. It felt like a mix between Elite 2.5 update and a remaster.
New lick of paint with some new features added.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 21:33

That's egosoft all over tbh. Usually same game as previous with few new things. I dunno how it can be a proper new x4 if all I see that's new is a new map, more ships to fly (not exactly a new feature) updated station building bit and a new docking mechanic.

To be fair the varied ships is nice and the map and docking but to me that doesn't make a new game let alone a full x4. I'm hoping theres tones more new stuff apart from that which hasn't been revealed due to there not finalized or finished. Tho if come release date and it's still all that what was said and nothing more I'd be disappointed. As from the released footage it just makes me think it's X rebirth version 2 with few new things.

Oh I do have to say I like how the visuals look now, the textures seem alot smoother and crisper compared to the low resolution textures u saw from rebirth. And the photo filter I think I'd enjoy using to make it more grey.

I hate to say but X games are following games like civilization and total war games etc, FIFA etc No real newness to the games just every few years, same game with few new things but 80% is reused from previous games and quick cash grabs, for certain games which I'm mainly citing of FIFA games or football manager.

I mean for x4 I'd imagine due to loosing some races due to the gates, why not introduce some fresh new faces with adding a new race or two, it's new, something to interact with, maybe even fight with and it opens new areas to explore where the designers can try new things for new space to explore, new stations with unique looks and ships. New trade goods.

I'd love it if egosoft did that.

Edit, I misread above post I thought he was saying X games were samey or something but it was all about elite games. Bah... Ah well it's posted now. :P

Saying all that tho I do give massive props to egosoft for listening to ideas, I was the first to ask for player headquarters and they went with it and now alot of people enjoy them, bulbs showing energy was being stored that was one of mine and got in x3, restrict access to top level stuff as progression system well that was put in x3, cops that was put in too, and many more which I felt great that they saw my ideas and implemented them in some form or another.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”