Stereoscopic X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you plan to play X4 in stereoscopic 3D?

Yes. I already play X3/XR in stereoscopic 3D.
8%
Yes. I'm waiting for the VR version.
12%
Yes. If 3D monitors don't become obsolete.
1%
Maybe. I don't know yet.
12%
No. Gameplay issues - Vanilla only
8%
No. Health issues - Eyestrain, headaches
11%
No. Hardware issues - Cost, complexity
24%
No. Other issues - Ugly glasses
23%

Total votes: 83

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 11:02

Before we go off on yet another VR hardware debate here, isn't this thread topic actually about the use of a 3D monitor and stereoscopic viewing with a non-VR game version?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 12:00

Reprisal wrote:There's two types of people. Those who love VR and those who haven't tried VR.
I think you'll find its a little more varied than that.

I for one would drop £1k on VR equipment that meets my expectations, its simply not available atm having tried it. I do agree that VR has a future it just has a way to go.

Stereoscopic monitors failed to catch on I'm not sure there is much more to be said on that it is what it is.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 21:32

Is it even possible to buy 3D Monitors any more? As I recall, LG and Sony were the last major manufactures of these devices and they both announced they were stopping support earlier this year if I'm not mistaken.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 23:49

There isn't gonna be a x4 for VR for the foreseeable future. VR games have lots of limitations and it remains to be seen if x4 can be done in VR.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 05:24

Observe wrote:Is it even possible to buy 3D Monitors any more? As I recall, LG and Sony were the last major manufactures of these devices and they both announced they were stopping support earlier this year if I'm not mistaken.
You can still get televisions with 3D support. Samsung, etc. And, these are starting to move into the 4k realm, too. With streaming options right out of the box, you can "big screen" your 3d gaming experience. And, if your game isn't native 3D, you can get some 3D effect conversion from many televisions. (results vary, not particularly exceptional)

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 07:41

Why would Egosoft bother to support something like Stereoscopic 3D when there is only a minimal adoption of the technology, and the number of people using it is only going to decrease given that noone is making new high end monitors. Even top end TVs don't list 3d among their feature sets, if they have support at all.

Reprisal
x4

Post by Reprisal » Mon, 23. Oct 17, 10:09

BigBANGtheory wrote:
Reprisal wrote:There's two types of people. Those who love VR and those who haven't tried VR.
I think you'll find its a little more varied than that.

I for one would drop £1k on VR equipment that meets my expectations, its simply not available atm having tried it. I do agree that VR has a future it just has a way to go.

Stereoscopic monitors failed to catch on I'm not sure there is much more to be said on that it is what it is.
Agreed, the screen door effect needs to go, the wires need to go, the FoV needs to increase. The hardware requirements are currently a bit steep. First gen was never going to have widespread adoption on PC. Although PSVR is doing quite well. I don't see how anyone who has actually tried it could claim it's a fad though. Even with all of the flaws it's astounding what they've accomplished. It feels like you're actually sitting in the cockpit in X Rebirth VR.

Player
x4

Post by Player » Wed, 25. Oct 17, 19:27

I would love a X4 VR version to play with the new PIMAX 8K.

No SDE, 200 FOV, Better resolution .....

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sun, 29. Oct 17, 09:47

Alan Phipps wrote:Before we go off on yet another VR hardware debate here, isn't this thread topic actually about the use of a 3D monitor and stereoscopic viewing with a non-VR game version?
Yes, but only because Egosoft said they weren't planning a VR version. I have high hopes for x4 because the 3D problems in Reunion were mostly fixed in TC. If the 2D HUD & overlays are replaced with 3D versions, it should be sufficient.

Hmmm... well... okay. I concede the Boron probably have good reasons why 3D makes them angry. I'd be angry too if I was still using anaglyph glasses.
This is only a virtual reality.

gapper4
x3ap

Post by gapper4 » Sun, 29. Oct 17, 09:50

I dare anyone to play XRVR and then honestly say that it's not an experience several standard degrees of deviation better than XR on a flatscreen. Yes, it's somewhat watered down but that simply doesn't matter once you experience what's it's like to fight a capital ship battle in VR. SDE, FOV, price, etc... yes, they are restrictive in the current generation of headsets (I play with a CV1 and Touch controllers myself) but none of this matters once you've seen it. Sorry, but people who dismiss VR as a gimmick that will go away simply don't know what they're talking about.

<Changed X4 to XR twice in first sentence. Alan Phipps>

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Mon, 30. Oct 17, 11:44

patient zero wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Before we go off on yet another VR hardware debate here, isn't this thread topic actually about the use of a 3D monitor and stereoscopic viewing with a non-VR game version?
Yes, but only because Egosoft said they weren't planning a VR version. I have high hopes for x4 because the 3D problems in Reunion were mostly fixed in TC. If the 2D HUD & overlays are replaced with 3D versions, it should be sufficient.

Hmmm... well... okay. I concede the Boron probably have good reasons why 3D makes them angry. I'd be angry too if I was still using anaglyph glasses.
What? When did you shoot this photo? I'm somehow feeling uncomfortable right now.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

Player
x4

Post by Player » Fri, 17. Nov 17, 16:07

As much as I have liked what I have seen so far on X4, without a VR version I will not buy it.

schedarx
x3ap

Post by schedarx » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 16:34

No because I don't want to.

Return to “X4: Foundations”