Non-gaming laptop/notebook

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 13:35

One of the problems with laptops is that the manufacturers seem to stick in the slowest HD they can find which compounds the problem of 4gb RAM as swapping to disk can be painfully slow.
A flower?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 14:00

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:One of the problems with laptops is that the manufacturers seem to stick in the slowest HD they can find which compounds the problem of 4gb RAM as swapping to disk can be painfully slow.
That can be true, though mfrs looking to compete will favor an SSD when they can, since the almost "instant" startup and quick launches has a pretty desirable impact on the consumer. Heat, ruggidizing, that sort of thing may figure into it, too.

I'm a "port freak." I dunno why, these days, but I still want as many different ports on my laptop as I can get. That's something that's vanishing fairly quick, too. USB and HDMI have sort of taken over and that's what one normally finds. Occasionally, one finds a flash card slot and there is still the standard RJ-45 for hardwired network connections, I suppose. Then, with USB 3.0, many are moving there, but they need at least one USB 2.0 for now, just so users don't end up frying non-USB 3.0 compliant peripherals. (USB 3.0 can fry purely some 2.0 devices, so 2.0 users, don't charge/run devices from 3.0 ports pls kthx)

PS - I have port converter stuffs all over the place. Weird ones I don't even know what their standard is, but I bought 'em anyway, 'cause I'm preparing for the A.I. Apocyclipse an' stuff... Yes, I will defeat the A.I. horde with my USB to PS/2 to RS-232 magic! I still browse mom&pop PC store shelves for weird connectors/converters/boards/etc.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 14:20

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:One of the problems with laptops is that the manufacturers seem to stick in the slowest HD they can find which compounds the problem of 4gb RAM as swapping to disk can be painfully slow.
On Windows ReadyBoost can help with that--just put an SD card in and assign it to ReadyBoost, and requests for smaller files will be made from the SD card not the hard drive. It's basically an intermediate-level disk cache that doesn't use up your RAM like the regular one does.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 14:25

pjknibbs wrote:
On Windows ReadyBoost can help with that--just put an SD card in and assign it to ReadyBoost, and requests for smaller files will be made from the SD card not the hard drive. It's basically an intermediate-level disk cache that doesn't use up your RAM like the regular one does.
Ooooooh. This I didn't know, which isn't surprising... I have no need of it, but will look into it, anyway! Cool!

/promptly fries three SD cards trying to get it work...

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 22:04

pjknibbs wrote:
ezra-r wrote: Briefly, no matter the OS, unless you open many applications, 4GB is more than enough, should you need a little more, upgrading laptops memory by yourself is usually quite easy to do.
Linux is rather less memory-hungry than Windows, though, it has to be said. My old laptop (running Linux Mint 17.3) was only using about 400Mb of RAM if you checked the usage immediately after logging in, while my new one with Windows 10 is up around 1Gb even after I did a light clean-up of running services.
My Linux desktop is currently sitting at 6.53GB used of 15.6... Admittedly, I'm running KDE, which is pretty heavy as desktop environments go, and have entirely too many browser tabs, and apps in general, open. Either way I'd consider 4GB a bare minimum for a modern system - 8GB is much comfier.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Return to “Off Topic English”