Making NPC ship movements more agile

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ezra-r
x4

Making NPC ship movements more agile

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 20:54

One thing that made Rebirth a bit, if not very, slow is how NPC ships moved, for example when:

* Undocking
* NPC ships going from A to B in the same zone but maybe a still a bit far to just use cruise speed.

What I'd like to see in X4 is a more speedy and efficient approach to those, and I see no better way for explaining this than with a few practical examples.

* Ship Ejection (slingshot)?. Remember when you asked a Factory to build a ship for you? How long could it take to rear out? I'd like to see docks eject ships like a slingshot, 5-6km away, enough to free the slot they were using in about 5 seconds. Perhaps one way in and another out would be more efficient than having to go reverse to exit the dock too.

* CV moving to build. Your CV arrives in the Zone and you want it to build Factory in place X, 40km away from there in the same zone, your CV flies at around 80m/s or similar until it reaches the destination to start building, taking several minutes. How about enabling that CV to boost for those distances so instead taking several minutes to reach the place they will take under a minute? CV has nothing else to do, it's not patrolling or anything it needs to go from point A to point B, so why use cruise speed instead of boosting for distances over 5km?

* Cap ship wings. Select a formation and cap ship miniboosts to acquire formation, once in formation they are tied together to the leader and they just break formation when engaging combat, etc. Or leader is 20km ahead, boost to go next to it. Tie them with an invisible magnet once in formation if necessary to avoid seeing unnecessary cap ship going nowhere dancing constantly calculating a final mess.

Return to “X4: Foundations”