Player Media,and forum rules

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gosnell
x4

Player Media,and forum rules

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 18:44

I would like to make a suggestion.I know that advertising your Youtube channel ect is banned here.However i would like to suggest a change to the rules.
Player made coverage of a game can encourage more people to actually purchase it.
Most new games allow,in fact have space on there forums for player made contributions ect.Its just a thought.
Sandbox games in particular can benefit from active Youtube coverage.
With the upcoming X4 i would love to cover it and be able to share my footage here and elsewhere.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 18:54

I think that most people wouldn't have any issue with a regular forum member, like yourself, letting others know that they have a youtube channel, especially if those members respond to their own threads and engage others.

The worst offenders are always those who join forums just to advertise their channels. ie: Ten posts in tend threads they've started with cut&paste
advertising for their youtube channel. :)

People who make informative vids, like the wonderful Commander Dave vids for X3TC, are an asset to the community. "Tutorial vids" are desirable, IMO.

"Let's Play" advertising, though, a bit less so. At least posted as "I DID A THING COME SEE" sort of posts, that is.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 19:22

I disagree with you on the lets play side of things,Lets plays for sandbox games show off all of the mechanics and open ended nature far better than a tutorial.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 19:25

The rules are there for two reasons.

One is to stop the forum from being used for commercial purposes, i.e. people seeking to make money advertising to Egosoft's customers. Neither Egosoft, nor most users of the forum, want this. With their monetisation of user content, sites like YouTube blur the lines between a user's hobby and their business, to the extent that it simply isn't possible to make a rule that eliminates one without affecting the other.

The other reason is to reduce spam, i.e. people creating thread after thread to tell people about their creations. Please bear in mind that you are probably not the only person who would like to advertise their channel. While one person doing so would be relatively harmless (setting aside the commercial advertising issue) many people doing so would make the forum a very different, and much less pleasant, place for everyone else. And obviously one rule for one person and one for everyone else is also not a viable option!

With regard to "let's play" videos for Egosoft games, there isn't generally a problem with people creating these, and even posting links to them on these forums, provided it's done sensibly and without spamming. However in this case I would recommend contacting Bernd directly, bearing in mind that he will almost certainly ask for information about the monetisation side of things, and reserve the right to review any agreement from time to time.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 20:49

I dont mean to question a rule,its just i think the forum and the game would benefit from some modernisation. Gaming has become an audience based medium within the last few years and i feel the x-forum and games are missing an opportunity.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 21:10

There's no problem with discussing the rules in an abstract way like this. However I really don't see this as a question of "modernising" the forum. I don't doubt that you see this as an opportunity, but people who come to this forum to just chat most likely see things differently.

People trying to sell something, whether it's goods, services or monetised content, try their best to ignore the fact that they are just one among many competing for people's attention, but the idea that "just a little" of something from them won't do any harm is disingenuous. From the end user's perspective it's not just a little; it all-too-often ends up as an avalanche of spam from hundreds of different advertisers all trying to grab their attention.

There may well be something more we could do in terms of offering somewhere for people to showcase their content, at least where it relates to Egosoft games, but the current forums probably aren't the place for it.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 15:03

CBJ wrote:There's no problem with discussing the rules in an abstract way like this. However I really don't see this as a question of "modernising" the forum. I don't doubt that you see this as an opportunity, but people who come to this forum to just chat most likely see things differently.

People trying to sell something, whether it's goods, services or monetised content, try their best to ignore the fact that they are just one among many competing for people's attention, but the idea that "just a little" of something from them won't do any harm is disingenuous. From the end user's perspective it's not just a little; it all-too-often ends up as an avalanche of spam from hundreds of different advertisers all trying to grab their attention.

There may well be something more we could do in terms of offering somewhere for people to showcase their content, at least where it relates to Egosoft games, but the current forums probably aren't the place for it.
Absolutely. Also, if egosoft games need help, advertising the complexity and learning curve of the x-series is not going to help, either. How well is Falcon 4 BMS doing in terms of getting mainstream gamer support?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 22:37

CBJ wrote:...There may well be something more we could do in terms of offering somewhere for people to showcase their content, at least where it relates to Egosoft games, but the current forums probably aren't the place for it.
"Community Spotlight" sorts of pages/links are popular for this. It's part of community building and good will. For instance, community posts, vids, etc, would be submitted every so often by moderators and, in the next social media update, there'd be a "Community Spotlight" inclusion with something created by a member of the community in it. It demonstrates that a developer cares about and pays attention to those who have joined their "community" which encourages more to join and increases the loyalty of those who are already members.

The "Ultimate X resource and guide list" sticky is sort of like that. It's probably older than most social media sites. :) (And more useful, too.)

It might be worth considering a community campaign for Rebirth submissions if you'd like to experiment a bit. As members to put up submissions for it, since it's the latest title, and then pick one/three to be in the next devlog/progress update as a Community Spotlight inclusion. (PS - Considering the age of the title, you may want to use the registered email addy instead of forum PM, since some who created content might not be visiting the forums frequently.)

Return to “Off Topic English”