Steven

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 22:48

Absolutely not a derail. And besides if this was a completely unrelated topic and someone had a good idea on keeping my kid safe i would run with it.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 05:43

philip_hughes wrote:Absolutely not a derail. And besides if this was a completely unrelated topic and someone had a good idea on keeping my kid safe i would run with it.
Build a really big concrete bunker and put all sorts of cool conveniences in it. Spacious, roomy, lots of plants, good food... Then, lock her in there until she's 50.

Or, lock yourself in there, take your pick. :)

A friend of mine has a daughter. She's starting her first year of college this year. I don't know how he stayed sane. Then again, maybe he didn't and is just hiding it really well?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 12:44

Morkonan wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Absolutely not a derail. And besides if this was a completely unrelated topic and someone had a good idea on keeping my kid safe i would run with it.
Build a really big concrete bunker and put all sorts of cool conveniences in it. Spacious, roomy, lots of plants, good food... Then, lock her in there until she's 50.

A friend of mine has a daughter. She's starting her first year of college this year. I don't know how he stayed sane. Then again, maybe he didn't and is just hiding it really well?
They are awesome, but nowhere in the manual does it say you will not go cuckoo.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 13:48

Morkonan wrote:

If your friend is sane, they're not doing it right. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 16. Jan 18, 14:58

Haha! Her video got to 206 views! Not much by YouTube standards but she will think it's a lot- 4 times more than her most successful video.

Thanks guys!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 21:40

philip_hughes wrote:Haha! Her video got to 206 views! Not much by YouTube standards but she will think it's a lot- 4 times more than her most successful video.

Thanks guys!
Want us to setup an automagic youtube viewer? :) We could grab some cloudhosting stuff and make her an instant hit! Then again, youtube has a lot of wardens running out there, so I think she'd be crushed if they reduced her hitcount.

Anyways, congrats!

(PS: Up to you, but what's the forum etiquette on linking a youtube account in your sig? If not here, you could try in other places you frequent.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 04:05

Morkonan wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Haha! Her video got to 206 views! Not much by YouTube standards but she will think it's a lot- 4 times more than her most successful video.

Thanks guys!
Want us to setup an automagic youtube viewer? :) We could grab some cloudhosting stuff and make her an instant hit! Then again, youtube has a lot of wardens running out there, so I think she'd be crushed if they reduced her hitcount.

Anyways, congrats!

(PS: Up to you, but what's the forum etiquette on linking a youtube account in your sig? If not here, you could try in other places you frequent.)
No idea. I think its a good idea for a community such as us to cross promote- but there would be plenty of grey areas.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 22:08

Morkonan wrote:...
Check this recent thread for the forum policy:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=398011
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 02:07

Nanook wrote:
Morkonan wrote:...
Check this recent thread for the forum policy:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=398011
Riight- so even this was circling the drain a little.

Noted

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 10:02

philip_hughes wrote:Riight- so even this was circling the drain a little.

Noted
Indeed. :)
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 20:37

Terre wrote:

Noted
But, isn't that where all the most interesting stuff winds up, just before it disappears? The most exciting seat in the house is right above the maelstrom, hovering over the drain, watching threads violently collide in their last gasps before the darkness takes them...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 07:30

Morkonan wrote:
Terre wrote:

Noted
But, isn't that where all the most interesting stuff winds up, just before it disappears? The most exciting seat in the house is right above the maelstrom, hovering over the drain, watching threads violently collide in their last gasps before the darkness takes them...
This forum needs a like button...

As a service to the admins I'm not formally requesting one. :-)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 20:11

philip_hughes wrote:This forum needs a like button...

As a service to the admins I'm not formally requesting one. :-)
Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?

Anyway, I hate "Like" buttons. They start being a goal and something to squabble over, sometimes even drowning out other voices that should be heard.

"ZOMGZ NOBODDIES LIK'D MY POST! THEY HATE ME!" <- The first time a forum-member says that to themselves, the goal of the forum is that much weaker, IMO. (Waxing philosophical, I know.)

The only time I appreciate those sorts of things are on forums where someone asks a question and then the correct answer gets voted up above the rim of the bowl of garbage responses. Saves me time trying to figure out quests, make my game work, debug a bug that's bugging me, etc...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 11:04

Oh, i know most ppl hate me, just they occasionally like what i post.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 16:17

Morkonan wrote:Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?
There was. Some people started spamming just to get likes, while others trolled to get dislikes. It contributed nothing of value to the forum, encouraged spam and trolling, and made extra work for the moderators, so it was removed.

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by CBJ on Wed, 24. Jan 18, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 20:46

CBJ wrote:
Morkonan wrote:Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?
There was. Some people started spamming just to get likes, while others trolled to get dislikes. It contributed nothing of value to the forum, encouraged spam and trolling, and made extra work for the moderators, so it was removed.
And, there ya go... With all the various means attempted since "people posting discussions on teh interwebz" you'd think someone would have figured this out.

Then again, there's Twitter, that decided it would focus entirely on this scheme. Entirely. Is it any surprise that most of the stuff that floats to the top of the bowl in that cesspool is crap?
philip_hughes wrote:Oh, i know most ppl hate me, just they occasionally like what i post.
Ages back, when I had more hair and teh interwebz was in its infancy, I remember a chat channel that had a lot of people participating in it. There were a few notable participants that usually ended up getting a lot of responses and causing an uproar, on occasion. One frequent participant, in particular, was very well known. One night, I got an invite to a secret channel that was entirely devoted to goading, laughing at and making fun of that notable person. It was more active than the main channel... They were the ones that planned the next big troll, the next controversy, the next huge joke. Fun times for adolescents or adults nurturing their adolescent brains. :) /egosoft_forums/off-topic/mork_trolling ;)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 22:09

So maybe egosoft needs to make a pick on the troll button instead...

Return to “Off Topic English”