Suggestions, ideas. (Too long for the short attention span inclined)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CtMurphy
x3ap

Suggestions, ideas. (Too long for the short attention span inclined)

Post by CtMurphy » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 22:01

I'mma just gunna post this here cuz I feel like it and read it knowing I'm humbly expecting a continuation/expansion of X2-3 as opposed to XR.
I don't hate XR as deeply as others but I honestly grew no love for it either.
Visually stunning but otherwise lacking, I thought; not that X3 was perfect either.

Suggestion 1: Better Completed Production Trees
More complete production trees. I think more than anything else, this was my bug in X3. Not enough to stop me playing persay but did cause a significant drop in enthusiasm, especially when reaching later game stages.
Alot of X3 tech production trees were dead end or only really had one particular use. Majaglit for instance, could be abundantly available, and lucrative but had few uses. One of which was in the making of satellites. Expand it a bit, or perhaps give it more practical use for the Paranids themselves?
The terran ice and water industry was another one. Didn't really leave any need or desire for expansion. I like the extras you did add in, such as the Terran background story, ingame relevancy of them, the story missions, the whole war with the Argon plus the extra space it gave me to explore in game. But the Terrans as a race was sloppily put together and felt no where near as well rounded off as any other the other races in the game. The unidentified objects felt more immersive, outside of story line, than the Terrans. Though maybe that's just my opinion.

Suggestion 2: Something Bigger
Can we have something bigger than an M2 and/or M1? Like that M0 from X2, the big Ka'ak battleship/dreadnought. I can't speak for anyone else on this, but as soon as I reach an M2-1, I just want something bigger and I feel that the game and military tech should expand along with the X-universe itself. Maybe introduce a few, newer and bigger varieties of ship class. For example:
The M0 Battleship
The WS1 Dreadnaught
The WS2 Titan
(With WS standing for Warship)
ect...

Suggestion 3: Bigger Trade options
Can we have a capital ship that is dedicated to trade. Very expensive, increadibly big cargo hold and just about as much defensive capability as an M2 Destroyer. With teleport technology you don't have to worry about docking size limits. Looots of profit to be made with a carrying capacity of 100,000+ units 'ey :)

Suggestion 4: Space ship hard points and damage visuals.
I know I said in other posts that I'd rather have more game content than extra visual spit and polish but surely both could be achieved by adding a visual damage element into the game. I believe that would make it far more immersive AND add content at the same time. Would it not be fun to see weapons explode out of a ships hull as you fire upon it or to leak... well some sort of smoke from the damaged and now inoperable weapon system? and even add engines as a viable knock out point.
You could expand on that hard point concept by adding the ability to knock out a fighters thrusters, damage the energy supply system or bridge of a large M2 or bigger vessel.
And to expand on the battle damage concept, why not add the visual on seeing a fighter cargo vessel or warship on fire from weapons damage and debris escape the point of contact. Perhaps even visually see a capital ship rip apart or break into two pieces as it crumbles from shock impact.
That'll probably add more demands for compie resources, but THIS sort of extra content would be more than worth it in my option.

Suggestion 5: An Extra weapons targetting ability for capital ships.
Could we add an extra targeting doo-hickey into the game for capital or frigate class warships? Something that would allow two-three guns on one turret to fire at three different targets at once? I know some could already do that, but it would be great if this ability were something we had to work for.

The Doo-hickey could be called whatever the heck you wanted to make it and cost about 800,000 credits for each install onto a ship. Maybe we could just call it the Extra Advanced Targeting Doo-Hickey.

Suggestion 6: Marquis Type system
Can we have the space version of letter of Marquis? No, not the police license -.- Something a little more... aggressive that extends outside a factions immediate sphere of influence against other factions they are on bad terms with. With it, your reputation with another faction will only be reduced to a certain point and no further.

Suggestion 7: Factions that fortify their ****
Can you make it so that over time, a faction will fortify their sectors so that it doesn't become so stagnant and easy to take/destroy. At least up until a point. And at least their border sectors.

Suggestion 8: More Defensive Structures
Can you expand on the Defensive structures list? Why do we still only have laser towers? Why not add in Plasma cannons or a weapons tower that'll fire out mass driver rounds and Ion cannon bolts, a hybrid Argon-Boron technology. Friggin' awesome right!?!?!? and have missile factory able to spit out missile platforms that have only missiles produced by that production facility.
And why not a Starbase and or battlestation that actually has some guns attatched to it for battle purposes. I think it would be really fun.

For now, that is alll;
CtMurphy[/b]

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 09:36

@1 X-R made it bad the other way round: in X3 you had several endproducts with no interferrence in XR all Products are consumed together at same ratio in the shipyard only, which is a bigger problem than some lose ends in my point of view.

@2 Something only feels bigger if not used by NPC's and difficult to get so if in X3 all NPC's at most use M7 and you can get a single M2/M1 by Mission this would fit your with.

@3 already done in XR unlikely to be removed in X4, the problem is the transfer in XR the ship first moves in Docking position and than launches cargo drones which fells like double the effort for nothing, if we are docking, extend a docking tube if we use drohnes stand in the vicinity but not dock, there should be different types of transfer being used depending of the size of the transfer load.

@4 Already done in XR, things start to burn when damaged and explode into a pile of scrap when destroyed.

@5 targeting is always something to improve, refering XR may be the weapons should be grouped by their roles:
point defence should be dividable on multiple targets and prefer to hit small things
AOE should target clusters of surface elements or fighter wings
Heavy weapons should focus on one big target and cross communicate within a fleet.

@6 I don't care

@7 Any faction reaction would be fine in XR they just did nothing at all.

@8 build the XR HoL Warehouse in front of a gate.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Killjaeden
x3tc

Re: Suggestions, ideas. (Too long for the short attention span inclined)

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 09:50

CtMurphy wrote:Suggestion 6: Marquis Type system
Can we have the space version of letter of Marquis? No, not the police license -.- Something a little more... aggressive that extends outside a factions immediate sphere of influence against other factions they are on bad terms with. With it, your reputation with another faction will only be reduced to a certain point and no further.
You mean letter of marque?
I don't see why your reputation should not fall with the attacked faction. You are comitting acts of war willingly against that faction - except that opposing faction granted you the license to act militarily on their behalf.
It would be more logical that your reputation would rise with the faction that gave you the letter if you attack the noted faction on their behalf, but only militarily - means no civilian targets. Though "no civilian" rule and "treat prisoners honorably" - that doesn't necessarily need to apply - depends on how civilized the warring factions are. You should still lose reputation with the attacked faction nontheless, and they should attack everything from you in their territory. I guess the reputation penalty could be adjusted based on targets. Attacking civilians could be punished more than military targets for example. Attacking "out of the blue" punished more than "flying the colors of that factions" openly.

Personally i think the most important change would be to remove the link between "at war/peace" with disposition towards the other faction/reputation. In X3, once a faction is far enough in the minus with the other, they are always "at war" with each other. A most basic diplomatic system would make sense, so factions would offer peace based on length and severity of conflict. The relation to each other wouldn't dramatically change however when going from war to peace. It would benefit the economy and stability of it.
@2 Something only feels bigger if not used by NPC's and difficult to get so if in X3 all NPC's at most use M7 and you can get a single M2/M1 by Mission this would fit your with.
I disagree. In XTC the NPC's also used M2+, but they where rare - 1 or 2 per faction at most. They where of course not spawned willy nilly in generic "defend XYZ" missions. The novelty of owning one for the player didn't wear off that way. It just all depends on power balance and price.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 12:55

@1: :):thumb_up:

@2: i dont think thats feasible, because they've fixed the sizes of the different ship classes now. (what about flying through gates, docking at stations, etc ?)

@3: ...

@4: you mean like a "damage texture" as an overlay for each ship ? when fighting, this texture will be modified by hitting bullets etc ? could become very memory-consuming ...

@5: ...

@6: ...

@7: i'd suggest the opposite, fortifying their core sectors/locations and only sending scouts/miners out in those border sectors, so that you can do sh*t out there but not in their core sectors, and if you do, you can expect reinforcements as long as there are some scouts. if no scout ships in sight, you can do sh*t all day long without getting caught by the sector owners ... maybe without a notoriety drop :)

@8: or just using scouts (police) instead, if you get caught doing sh*t, the scouts will send a message to the core sector / next military outpost, which in turn will send reinforcements to go N get you ...
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

CtMurphy
x3ap

Post by CtMurphy » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 17:17

Killjaeden wrote:
CtMurphy wrote:Suggestion 6: Marquis Type system
You mean letter of marque?
I don't see why your reputation should not fall with the attacked faction. You are comitting acts of war willingly against that faction - except that opposing faction granted you the license to act militarily on their behalf.
It would be more logical that your reputation would rise with the faction that gave you the letter if you attack the noted faction on their behalf, but only militarily - means no civilian targets. Though "no civilian" rule and "treat prisoners honorably" - that doesn't necessarily need to apply - depends on how civilized the warring factions are. You should still lose reputation with the attacked faction nontheless, and they should attack everything from you in their territory. I guess the reputation penalty could be adjusted based on targets. Attacking civilians could be punished more than military targets for example. Attacking "out of the blue" punished more than "flying the colors of that factions" openly.

Personally i think the most important change would be to remove the link between "at war/peace" with disposition towards the other faction/reputation. In X3, once a faction is far enough in the minus with the other, they are always "at war" with each other. A most basic diplomatic system would make sense, so factions would offer peace based on length and severity of conflict. The relation to each other wouldn't dramatically change however when going from war to peace. It would benefit the economy and stability of it.
I disagree. In XTC the NPC's also used M2+, but they where rare - 1 or 2 per faction at most. They where of course not spawned willy nilly in generic "defend XYZ" missions. The novelty of owning one for the player didn't wear off that way. It just all depends on power balance and price.
I don't mean that the reputation shouldn't take a hit at all, only that it stops dropping after a certain point IF you have a letter of Marque sort of thing. Or maybe it can just significantly reduce the hit your reputation takes with a particular faction. I believe that it recognises the fact that you are antagonising with encouragement, as opposed to doing it solely because you hate their entire race and wanna crush them like bugs.

@JSDD: Hmm, that is possible, depending on how far down the road of developement they are. However, they miiight still be able to add a few bigger sizes. Gates might be a nightmare, but you gotta remember that these things would be late game developement so most would be able to use jumpbeacons and teleport devices instead of gate travel and docking everywhere. Perhaps a particular type of shipyard could unlock these things and actually repair, dock them.

And yeah, I suppose, I thiiink they could take a lot of the burden off of the CPU and free up enough space there that they could pull it off by routing a lot of the burden onto RAM memory which is still a new technique but is perfect for the X-series. Again though, it really depends on how far they've come in developement with the game, and what they've already done with it.

I rather like your alternative idea to 7.

-.- As for DragonFreak: Since thhye alread learnt in XR how to do all of those things wrong, maybe they can do them right in X4. Spooky, right.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 19:06

Killjaeden wrote:
If I remember correctly, all the M2+ ships in XTC were a reward from a specific plot mission right? I think afterward once you gained the HQ you were able to make more of them for your fleet if you so wanted. Granted I haven't played the XTC mod or any of the X3 games since 2013-2014 so I cannot be sure about it.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 05:33

I'd like to see Item Trading become a part of the resource trading.

Little Factories for those with not much money, making items that populated stations will buy, like Medical supplies, Consoles, Terran Wine, Tobacco etc.
Stuff that doesn't go up to the Ship building tree, but has it's own sink, it's own separate market.
In Rebirth, every ware bulk, container, gas, liquid pretty much went up the chain to making parts for Stations/Ships etc.

There must be other markets not Ship/Station building related.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 16:37

Requiemfang wrote:If I remember correctly, all the M2+ ships in XTC were a reward from a specific plot mission right? I think afterward once you gained the HQ you were able to make more of them for your fleet if you so wanted.
You can buy them normally in the latest patch versions. upwards of 200 million iirc. And militaries of the various races use them (not as often as M2 of course).
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 15:54

spankahontis wrote:I'd like to see Item Trading become a part of the resource trading.

Little Factories for those with not much money, making items that populated stations will buy, like Medical supplies, Consoles, Terran Wine, Tobacco etc.
Stuff that doesn't go up to the Ship building tree, but has it's own sink, it's own separate market.
In Rebirth, every ware bulk, container, gas, liquid pretty much went up the chain to making parts for Stations/Ships etc.

There must be other markets not Ship/Station building related.
Yes, I'd like to see this too - resource sinks for normal activities. A bit like how food products were consumed in X3 by factories as representing the workforce. Never made sense to me that populated trade stations didn't also require food products just to keep running!

And these resource sinks should also generate waste that can be sent back to factory productions too, so a farm could require ore and bio waste , that gets used to produce grains that can be sent to a processing plant to make food that gets sent to a station to feed the people who then produce bio waste. Nicely circular resource chains.

you could do the same with scrap waste too - feed broken and derelict ships back into ore production to make metal ingots and/or parts that were then used to make ships.

Me163
xr

Post by Me163 » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 16:21

1. I hope it improves since i know that it can't be perfect. The tree itself is all about weapons(and ships in XR) and it makes some resource useless.

2. But.. why? i'd say no. we don't need bigger ones.

3. Don't you think they should 'balance' things? like if the ship has BIG cargo, it should have less defense and/or slow as hell. I definitely want to see one :D

4. The game isn't all about combat right? I don't want devs waste precious time with misc things like that. It's not great graphic what makes this game beauty

5. Can't imagine 3 weaps in same turret targeting 3 different targets lol

6. First things first, in XR, It was simply impossible to become 'pirates'. I just hope i can in X4..

7. No arguments from me

8. Dev said we can make station full of turrets so.. no more laser tower i think

I hope X4's contents based on X3, but it seems XR will affect a lot.

CtMurphy
x3ap

Post by CtMurphy » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 17:34

Me163 wrote:1. I hope it improves since i know that it can't be perfect. The tree itself is all about weapons(and ships in XR) and it makes some resource useless.

2. But.. why? i'd say no. we don't need bigger ones.

3. Don't you think they should 'balance' things? like if the ship has BIG cargo, it should have less defense and/or slow as hell. I definitely want to see one :D

4. The game isn't all about combat right? I don't want devs waste precious time with misc things like that. It's not great graphic what makes this game beauty

5. Can't imagine 3 weaps in same turret targeting 3 different targets lol

6. First things first, in XR, It was simply impossible to become 'pirates'. I just hope i can in X4..

7. No arguments from me

8. Dev said we can make station full of turrets so.. no more laser tower i think

I hope X4's contents based on X3, but it seems XR will affect a lot.
1) Aye, exactly like that. A lot of the products/produce relies on human consumption and very little on AI or NPC input. It makes a lot of the markets kinda dead end and doesn't go anywhere. Spaceweed, Ore and the Teladi bottom end food production tree were extremely useful, expandable and lucrative because of it.

Teladianium couldhave been so too, but its only ever secondary resource which makes it unprofitable outside of side missions. Silicon was extremely lucratice but they kinda downsized it's uses in X3, I think and that made it less expandable.

2) Well, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. I just personallly like the idea of something more to go after once you reach the previous top stop. Why settle for a destroyer when you could reach for a 1st rate ship of the line, right? I mean, if they got all of the navigation bugs sorted, wouldn't it be rather fun to side swipe an M2 or blast it to smithereens?

3) No more or less so than old world trade ships compared to warships of equivalent size at the time, but in a space enviroment sorta context. At the very least it should have good lasting power, to give defending it a chance. I think giving it armourment equal to an M2 but also allowing it only point defense. So it'll defend well against missiles and fighters but anything bigger than an M6 could outrange it desicively. And maybe each races equivalant has a drawback sorta like that, but uniquely theirs.

4) You're right about that, but I think if everything else ran smoothly and it could be done, then why not? It woulddmake it so much more immersive. I don't think it's that much different than some of the earth based trader games adding more appeal to their own combat set ups. If the trade engine is great, then why not?

5) I can, would be pure chaos, but really cool. Modern warships can tweak individual cannons on a turret to do just that, to an extent. Why could E.T do it on a much grander, more effective scale? It also adds something to the ingame dynamic, made just for large ships, such as an M2 or even a lil frigate.

6) Argh! Tis pirates life fer me!

7&8) *puppy eyes* yes pwease.

Return to “X4: Foundations”