Updating X-Tension from X-Gold Disc - Resolved

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Updating X-Tension from X-Gold Disc - Resolved

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 01:23

I'm installing X-Tension from my disc and unsure which is the correct version of the 1.x to 2.1 update. I've read that X-Gold contains version 1.4, but the game exe file properties say it is version 1.3 (written as 1.3.3.3),. but the only installer for 1.3 is German. My copy however is UK English.

I've had an issue in a past installation where Xenon capital ships never spawned in any of their sectors so I want to make sure I get it right this time.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 10:24

Simply use the 1.1 -> 2.1 instead, for which there is a dedicated English download.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 20:27

X2-Illuminatus wrote:Simply use the 1.1 -> 2.1 instead, for which there is a dedicated English download.
Failed to apply patch for 01.cat and 01.dat and xtension.exe due to unexpected file sizes.

The 1.4 patcher claims it is explicitly for X-Gold but as I said I'm not confident. Maybe the German version of X-Gold was 1.3 and the UK release was 1.4, and the upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 didn't include a change to the exe, hence no version number increment?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 21:25

I am rather confused as to what the version 1.4 or 1.3 has to do with it.

Whatever your base game version, download and install all three patches in the following order without trying to play in between any patches (to avoid DRM/OS compatibility issues). This should guarantee a full update and sort out any issues with the exes.

1. Any base version to 2.1 update. Pay attention to this note: "Attention: The patch has to be copied to a harddisk before it can be executed. Do not execute it from a floppy or CD [or USB/flashdrive] as it needs to write to a temporary storage!" - This implies that the patch needs write permissions such as for an administrator wherever it is copied and also in the gamefiles folder.

2. 2.1 to 2.1a update.

3. 2.1a to 2.2 update.

Good luck. (If all else fails or you can't be bothered to mess about, you can also get the fully updated game directly from Steam for about the pub price of a pint of beer or a coffee.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 22:23

Alan Phipps wrote:without trying to play in between any patches
My original issue may have been caused by that, actually.

Tried the 1.4>2.1 patch as I had used in the past, followed by the others, then took a Disco to go gawk at the Xenon and they seem to be fine this time.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”